Circumnavigation of Australia, clockwise or anti-clockwise?

phoenixx

Does anyone know if it is better to do the Australia circumnavigation clockwise or anti-clockwise and the reasons? 

I read something about this years ago and thought I'd saved it but didn't.

It seems some cruises do clockwise and some anti.

Google brings up nothing related to this on a cruise ship.

TIA for any help

33 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We did clockwise...no noted issues. Can't think of any problems, other than when you might gain or lose time. But that seems balanced by the fact its a circumnavigation, and the time changes are going to happen no matter what.

Thanks for your response Bruce. I seem to remember that I read ages ago that you get smoother seas in one direction but can't find the info or remember it!

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

We did clockwise...no noted issues. Can't think of any problems, other than when you might gain or lose time. But that seems balanced by the fact its a circumnavigation, and the time changes are going to happen no matter what.

What time of year did you do yours? Thanks

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

Thanks for your response Bruce. I seem to remember that I read ages ago that you get smoother seas in one direction but can't find the info or remember it!

Weather is so unpredictable that I'm not sure direction would matter too much regarding seas. However, the anti-clockwise route will have the prevailing westerly winds on your stern as you transit the southern part of Oz.

You're still well north of the southern ocean (and it's violence) but having the prevailing winds on the stern will tend to provide a smoother, albeit more "roller coaster" ride if it brews up.

Our trip was anti-clockwise, with generally good weather, so I don't have a definitive opinion to share. Enjoy it either way - it's a great trip! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

We did anticlockwise on the Noordam last year leaving early November. The seas were really calm until we left Perth when the weather cut up a bit. 

Our cruise was 35 days and we really enjoyed it even if we missed a couple of ports due to strong winds. 

Hopefully you can get a cruise that will suit you. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, phoenixx said:

Does anyone know if it is better to do the Australia circumnavigation clockwise or anti-clockwise and the reasons? 

I read something about this years ago and thought I'd saved it but didn't.

It seems some cruises do clockwise and some anti.

Google brings up nothing related to this on a cruise ship.

TIA for any help

Having steamed around Australia both directions a few times, I'll suggest it is personal preference, with the 3 key differences being the predominant winds, temperatures and the itinerary to be more intensive at the beginning or end of the cruise. Assuming a R/T from Sydney.

Crossing the Great Australian Bight you are in the roaring 40's, with predominantly W'ly winds, so anti-clockwise you would have these winds astern (following winds), with less apparent wind over the deck. A clockwise sailing will have the winds ahead, so more apparent wind over the deck. The ship's movement is completely different with head or following seas, more pounding with large heads seas, whereas with following seas the movement can be uncomfortable as the wind grabs the stern. On the East Coast you can also experience SW Trade Winds, which will be following seas going counter-clockwise and head seas going clockwise.

Temperatures may depend on the time of year and whether you want to experience the worst heat/humidity early or later. If it is a late summer (s/hemisphere) to avoid some of the heat, you could do a clockwise, as it delays the transit through the tropical waters. If it was Spring/ early Summer, a counter-clockwise sailing will get through the tropics before the height of summer.

Going up the East Coast can be more port intensive until Darwin, whereas crossing the Great Australian Bight can have more sea days.

Personally, I prefer departing Sydney and heading North for a counter-clockwise sailing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Having steamed around Australia both directions a few times, I'll suggest it is personal preference, with the 3 key differences being the predominant winds, temperatures and the itinerary to be more intensive at the beginning or end of the cruise. Assuming a R/T from Sydney.

Crossing the Great Australian Bight you are in the roaring 40's, with predominantly W'ly winds, so anti-clockwise you would have these winds astern (following winds), with less apparent wind over the deck. A clockwise sailing will have the winds ahead, so more apparent wind over the deck. The ship's movement is completely different with head or following seas, more pounding with large heads seas, whereas with following seas the movement can be uncomfortable as the wind grabs the stern. On the East Coast you can also experience SW Trade Winds, which will be following seas going counter-clockwise and head seas going clockwise.

Temperatures may depend on the time of year and whether you want to experience the worst heat/humidity early or later. If it is a late summer (s/hemisphere) to avoid some of the heat, you could do a clockwise, as it delays the transit through the tropical waters. If it was Spring/ early Summer, a counter-clockwise sailing will get through the tropics before the height of summer.

Going up the East Coast can be more port intensive until Darwin, whereas crossing the Great Australian Bight can have more sea days.

Personally, I prefer departing Sydney and heading North for a counter-clockwise sailing.

Looking at clockwise Sydney to Brisbane end of October 

2 hours ago, phoenixxx said:
2 hours ago, phoenixxx said:

Looking at clockwise Sydney to Brisbane end of October 

Sydney to Brisbane would be anti-clockwise. Anti-clockwise is the common route.

I generally only follow HAL but for a time was considering Cunard and cannot re-call ever seeing  clock-wise circumnavigation on offer but perhaps I just did not notice.

53 minutes ago, Sailnsurf said:

I generally only follow HAL but for a time was considering Cunard and cannot re-call ever seeing  clock-wise circumnavigation on offer but perhaps I just did not notice.

It's Princess, theirs all seem to be clockwise.

2 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

The OP is discussing circumnavigation of Australia.

A direct voyage from Sydney to Brisbane is predominantly Northbound courses, but a circumnavigation of Australia, with embarkation in  Sydney and disembarking in Brisbane is a clockwise routing.