Beverage Packages for Non-Drinkers

vovagalchenko

Hi friends, I'm a first-time cruiser taking my family on a 7-day Norwegian Prima cruise in the 2-BR Haven Suite in Jan 2024. Cruising appears to be a super cost-effective way to vacation and I am really motivated to do all I can to have things work out really nicely for my family on this first voyage. Food and beverages are key value drivers for us and I'd like to create an all-inclusive experience as much as possible. None of us drink alcohol, but we'd like to enjoy a wide variety of soft drinks without overpaying. Looking at the packages available, I was thinking of buying the Unlimited Soda Package and the Unlimited Starbucks Package. I see those would cover a wide variety of sodas and Starbucks coffee, but I'm unclear about the following:

• Some of my family members would enjoy a virgin cocktail
  • Some of my family might enjoy premium coffee, e.g. lattes, cappuccinos, mochas, etc, in the Haven

Would the above be covered by the Unlimited Soda + Unlimited Starbucks packages?

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, vovagalchenko said:

Hi friends, I'm a first-time cruiser taking my family on a 7-day Norwegian Prima cruise in the 2-BR Haven Suite in Jan 2024. Cruising appears to be a super cost-effective way to vacation and I am really motivated to do all I can to have things work out really nicely for my family on this first voyage. Food and beverages are key value drivers for us and I'd like to create an all-inclusive experience as much as possible. None of us drink alcohol, but we'd like to enjoy a wide variety of soft drinks without overpaying. Looking at the packages available, I was thinking of buying the Unlimited Soda Package and the Unlimited Starbucks Package. I see those would cover a wide variety of sodas and Starbucks coffee, but I'm unclear about the following:

• Some of my family members would enjoy a virgin cocktail
  • Some of my family might enjoy premium coffee, e.g. lattes, cappuccinos, mochas, etc, in the Haven

Would the above be covered by the Unlimited Soda + Unlimited Starbucks packages?

Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Unlimited Soda and Starbucks are exactly what they say. You can get soda (Coke products: Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Fanta, etc.)

Starbucks, you can get products from the Starbucks in the Atrium (note that the menu says that if you don't see your favorite drink on the small menu, just ask and they will make it for you) or non-Haven restaurants that offer them.

image.png.fed2e94eaa629f4241012a8d18629f78.png

In the Haven Restaurant, Starbucks brand premium coffees are complimentary with or without the package. So, you need to decide if you really need Starbucks outside the Haven restaurant. I always start my day with a double cappuccino at the Haven Restaurant. 

image.png.f5012953ca6d4ae803e29432328de489.pngimage.png.5ec69dd28d1e875b9f22e8d322cd63c8.png

Unfortunately, virgin cocktails are not covered will be charged to your room account. But if you have a few, it will still be far far less than the cost of free at sea beverage package. 

Here's a link to my live post from the Prima last year for some photos. 

Since food in important, here's a link to my Haven food post from August of last year. The Haven menu has changed slightly since then, but you can see the general types of foods offered. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to CC.  There is also sprite zero.  Default is by gun vs can if gun offered.  

Note the Prima has two Haven elevators that will whisk you in the aft area on most floors except a couple.  Indulge and buffet will be packed.  Haven restaurant was good.

• Like 1

Even though me and my husband don't drink, we still got the Free at Sea Plus package for the cruise since the other perks (more specialty meals, unlimited internet, excursion discounts) made it worth the cost.  The Free at sea plus upgrades the included "Open Bar" to add Starbucks drinks to your package as well. 

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

In the Haven Restaurant, Starbucks brand premium coffees are complimentary with or without the package. So, you need to decide if you really need Starbucks outside the Haven restaurant. I always start my day with a double cappuccino at the Haven Restaurant. 

Is it only in the Haven restaurant you can get the coffee likes cappuccino complimentary, or elsewhere in the Haven too?
Often we don’t want a full breakfast so don’t want to go to the restaurant, but my wife would like a coffee.  She prefers cappuccino and not a big fan of American filter style coffee.

7 minutes ago, rattla said:

Is it only in the Haven restaurant you can get the coffee likes cappuccino complimentary, or elsewhere in the Haven too?
Often we don’t want a full breakfast so don’t want to go to the restaurant, but my wife would like a coffee.  She prefers cappuccino and not a big fan of American filter style coffee.

In my experience, it has only been in the restaurant. Back in March I attempted to order an espresso martini from the bar. I was told there would be an upcharge. I had never experienced that before, but confirmed the addition of a shot of espresso does create the upcharge. In November I'm going to try ordering the same thing in the restaurant to see what happens. 

I did order a coffee in a main dining room one time and was told I wouldn't be charged, because I was in the Haven. I don't know if this was an exception or the rule. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, golden6911 said:

Even though me and my husband don't drink, we still got the Free at Sea Plus package for the cruise since the other perks (more specialty meals, unlimited internet, excursion discounts) made it worth the cost.  The Free at sea plus upgrades the included "Open Bar" to add Starbucks drinks to your package as well. 

We do not drink so I take all the free at sea and take the drink package off. The gratuities for it is quiet a bit so not worth the few virgin drinks I may get. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rattla said:

You can have your butler bring one (or more) espresso based coffees to your room from the restaurant (along with anything else from the restaurant). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, golden6911 said:

If you do not drink alcohol then why would you include the "free at sea" beverage package? That one is for alcohol not the soda and coffee. You can get the soda and Starbucks package without the added cost of the alcohol service charge just unclick that one. 

• Like 1

Because the Free at Sea came with the price of the cruise - I had no idea there is an option to remove it since it was a free add on.  The Free at Sea plus added the Starbucks package. 

Man, they really need to make this ***** clearer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, golden6911 said:

Because the Free at Sea came with the price of the cruise - I had no idea there is an option to remove it since it was a free add on.  The Free at Sea plus added the Starbucks package. 

If you used a TA, they should have told you this. If you booked yourself, you would have seen the boxes you could uncheck to remove the FAS drinks and dining (one or both). If you aren't within 3 days of your cruise, you can still remove the packages and add what you want.

I have a friend who does not drink alcohol or coffee and he gets the FAS drink package...he drinks a lot of soda and enjoys mocktails so the $22 a day is a good value for him and he doesn't get a bill at the end of the cruise.

2 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I have a friend who does not drink alcohol or coffee and he gets the FAS drink package...he drinks a lot of soda and enjoys mocktails so the $22 a day is a good value for him and he doesn't get a bill at the end of the cruise.

This^^^ it can make sense for some folks. 

• Like 1

I think it’s different in the US, but in the U.K. we don’t pay for the gratuities in the elements.  We pay a flat fee for all the FAS, and if you book Haven all are included automatically with as part of the Haven fare.

it start at £149pp and for example out 16 night trip is £299pp for all the promotions.  We can’t pick and choose, it’s all or nothing.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:32 AM, golden6911 said:

I personally think these boxes should only be checked by the "passenger" when booking and not already checked by NCL for the passenger to "uncheck". Sneaking if you ask me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 10:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

You can have your butler bring one (or more) espresso based coffees to your room from the restaurant (along with anything else from the restaurant). 

Sorry for response much after the time, but we’ve just managed to get our upgrade to Haven. 😊

can you order this ad hoc on the morning, or would you need to order it the night before for a set time?

On 8/9/2023 at 11:00 PM, uneamie said:

I personally think these boxes should only be checked by the "passenger" when booking and not already checked by NCL for the passenger to "uncheck". Sneaking if you ask me. 

People who don't check the box will be in for a big surprise when they see their onboard account is charged for every drink. I guarantee that those people will post on the forum that "....NCL said that drinks were included but they lied...". 

No matter which way that NCL does it, there will be people who post that it should be the other way. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rattla said:

Sorry for response much after the time, but we’ve just managed to get our upgrade to Haven. 😊

can you order this ad hoc on the morning, or would you need to order it the night before for a set time?

Congrats on the upgrade

You can order from any restaurant when the restaurant is open. 

You have a Nespresso espresso machine in your stateroom. Your butler keeps it stocked with pods. No frothed, though. 
IMG_8025.png.1d7a131cab64583694523d9b0d64b918.png

The Tea Forte is included in the Haven and sells for over $2 a bag in steerage. 
IMG_8026.png.d57c6feec96136280dd97d0729b0eb10.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, uneamie said:

But then people will get upset because they thought they were getting a free drinks package, because it was advertised as included; and then they didn't get it because they didn't check the option.

As someone who unchecks the drink package- it was very clear that drinks were included in the cruise, and I would need to pay gratuities.  I didn't want the drink package that was advertised as included, so it was up to me to get rid of it.

I am super torn on whether I want to get a soda package or just pay ala carte.  In the old days I'd bring a 12 pack onto a 7-day cruise; but now you can't do that.  That was enough for me.  But my most recent cruise on MSC included drinks, and man it was nice to just grab a soda whenever.  But I feel like for the cost, I might go water only...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Congrats on the upgrade

You can order from any restaurant when the restaurant is open. 

You have a Nespresso espresso machine in your stateroom. Your butler keeps it stocked with pods. No frothed, though. 

The Tea Forte is included in the Haven and sells for over $2 a bag in steerage. 

Many thanks.

my better half is partial to an Iced coffee, so I guess I could ask for some milk and the ice to make with the Nespresso. 😊

8 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

But then people will get upset because they thought they were getting a free drinks package, because it was advertised as included; and then they didn't get it because they didn't check the option.

As someone who unchecks the drink package- it was very clear that drinks were included in the cruise, and I would need to pay gratuities.  I didn't want the drink package that was advertised as included, so it was up to me to get rid of it.

I am super torn on whether I want to get a soda package or just pay ala carte.  In the old days I'd bring a 12 pack onto a 7-day cruise; but now you can't do that.  That was enough for me.  But my most recent cruise on MSC included drinks, and man it was nice to just grab a soda whenever.  But I feel like for the cost, I might go water only...

That said....if they are going to automatically keep it clicked.......then before the person purchases the cruise they should remind them to "unclick" any bonus they do not want included. Many people are unaware of the need to "unclick". I was on my last cruise but became aware of it before I did my final payment. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

People who don't check the box will be in for a big surprise when they see their onboard account is charged for every drink. I guarantee that those people will post on the forum that "....NCL said that drinks were included but they lied...". 

No matter which way that NCL does it, there will be people who post that it should be the other way. 

Then perhaps NCL should disclose the need to "click" on the bonuses they want or don't want as a note or reminder before purchase.