EWR or LGA

mandersen12345

Hello.  Soliciting opinions here for an upcoming cruise out of Cape Liberty.  Live in Sarasota, FL.  On the day of the cruise United has a nonstop to Newark (7:00 AM to 9:44 AM) and Delta has one to La Guardia (7:00 AM to 9:54 AM).  Negligible difference in arrival times.  Each flight is the first of the day out of Sarasota.  We are a family of 5.  Which flight would you take?  Or would you absolutely go the day before?  The price of a hotel for a night is irrelevant.  However, finding a place to stay for 5 (two of whom are teenagers) where we are not on top of each other could be another story....

Ship departs at 4:00 PM.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 minute ago, mandersen12345 said:

Hello.  Soliciting opinions here for an upcoming cruise out of Cape Liberty.  Live in Sarasota, FL.  On the day of the cruise United has a nonstop to Newark (7:00 AM to 9:44 AM) and Delta has one to La Guardia (7:00 AM to 9:54 AM).  Negligible difference in arrival times.  Each flight is the first of the day out of Sarasota.  We are a family of 5.  Which flight would you take?  Or would you absolutely go the day before?  The price of a hotel for a night is irrelevant.  However, finding a place to stay for 5 (two of whom are teenagers) where we are not on top of each other could be another story....

Ship departs at 4:00 PM.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wen I looked for cruise line transfers for a different ship they were only offered to EWR if that makes a difference

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Wen I looked for cruise line transfers for a different ship they were only offered to EWR if that makes a difference

thanks but does not matter.  Would arrange sedan/SUV service.  I have never been to either EWR or LGA.  I assume EWR is closer to the port.  Is LGA going to pose a traffic risk?  I mean realistically given the arrival time and ship departure.

2 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

thanks but does not matter.  Would arrange sedan/SUV service.  I have never been to either EWR or LGA.  I assume EWR is closer to the port.  Is LGA going to pose a traffic risk?  I mean realistically given the arrival time and ship departure.

As others mentioned EWR is by far closer

• Like 2

In today's world of delayed or cancelled flights I would go the day before.   EWR is much closer and easier to get to cape liberty port.

Near the airport are a couple reasonably priced hotels where you could get a suite for 5 people.   Check out Springhill suites by Marriott or best Western plus.    I'm sure there are others too

Edited by Sunshine3601

23 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

Or would you absolutely go the day before?  The price of a hotel for a night is irrelevant.  However, finding a place to stay for 5 (two of whom are teenagers) where we are not on top of each other could be another story

Absolutely go the day before. It is not uncommon to have weather/air traffic control delays in the EWR/LGA area. Since hotel cost is not an issue, consider 2 rooms to give everyone room (especially 2 bathrooms with 2 teenagers).

17 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

Look at a map. A hint is that the name of EWR  airport is Newark Liberty Airport and the port is named Cape Liberty. Definitly leave a day early. 

Definitely fly into EWR.  If you are concerned about Murphy's Law, fly in the day before, because if your 7am flight gets cancelled, you're probably screwed getting to Newark to board the ship.

If you fly in the day before, here are some options of places to stay:

Residence Inn by Marriott Newark, Extended Stay America Suites Elizabeth, Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, and/or Hampton Inn and Suites Newark Airport Elizabeth.   They are all in the same relative area.  They probably all have free transport from the airport, and you can check about transport to the port, or call an Uber/Lyft.

I booked the nonstop to Newark that gets in at 9:44 day of cruise.  It's the first flight of the day out of Sarasota on that aircraft so hoping no issues.

IF there are issues and we miss the boat, can we contact Royal and get ourselves to the first port (Port Canaveral) and board there?

3 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

United has pretty much squeezed lots of airlines out. I was super annoyed when they forced Southwest out but if you’re flying United it’s an easy airport.

Sorry, I'm biased. You are absolutely right.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

I booked the nonstop to Newark that gets in at 9:44 day of cruise.  It's the first flight of the day out of Sarasota on that aircraft so hoping no issues.

IF there are issues and we miss the boat, can we contact Royal and get ourselves to the first port (Port Canaveral) and board there?

You are flying to NJ from Florida to take a cruise which stops in Canaveral?  Guessing the cruise also goes to the Bahamas.  Heard there are cruises out of Florida which hit those same ports.  I heard  you say money is no object and I believe you.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

So now I’m a little nervous for you. I think you’re taking a huge gamble with same day travel especially with how unstable flights have been lately. I think you should definitely research hotels to fit your needs. I had 3 sons and they reached the age where they refused to share beds so I would look for hotels that had 2 bed options and a pullout couch. Then I’d call the hotel and ask if they had rollaways. Most do. That gave them all their own bed. If driving I would drag along an aerobed🙄

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

So then you'd have to get 5 people to PC? My nerves would be shot dealing with the airline people, renting a car or going back home to get your car and the drive to PC. Sounds worse than just getting a hotel room!

Edited by fla33023

Just now, fla33023 said:

So then you'd have to get 5 people to PC? That sounds way worse than just getting a hotel room for 1 night.

That shouldn’t be a possibility anyway, if a stop doesn’t include any of the ABC islands. Would be a violation of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act)

23 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

No, you would have to board in the Bahamas.  To board in a different US port would be a PVSA violation. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1