Iceland/Greenland small boat tours -- attire question

cruisemom42

I am taking several small boat tours on my upcoming cruise to Iceland and Greenland. The tour descriptions advise to dress in appropriate clothing as it can be cool and windy on the water. Average daytime highs right now in both Iceland and Greenland are about 55 degrees (I leave Thursday).

For my upper half I can layer easily enough. But just looking for any guidance on what to wear from waist down. Is it sufficient to wear some mid-weight pants (e.g., like ponte knit) with silk underwear and knee highs underneath?  Or should I bring the real "insulated" winter pants I have?  I would prefer the former as the lined pants are bulky, but they are definitely much more wind-stopping and warm than the ponte knit pants. On the other hand, I have three of these small boat tours and I don't want to be miserable.

I normally run warm rather than cold. (In fact, being too warm is worse than being a little chilly, IMO.)  

Any help appreciated. Clothes go in suitcase in two days!

I will be interested in seeing other replies - but from my experience in Iceland, Greenland, Svalbard in summer, the full-on insulated winter pants might be unnecessary.  I’ve never come back from one of those trips wishing I’d brought them.  I think layers should be sufficient.  If the sun is out, you’ll warm up. Rain pants can be helpful too.

Rain pants will probably serve you better than insulated pants, since it’s more likely to be windy and rainy rather than cold temperatures. A rain she’ll also gives you the advantage that you can wear thicker or lighter layers underneath once you know the conditions on the day.

We were there last month, it's incredibly beautiful.  Pack pants that are water resistant if going to any waterfalls as there is a fine mist in the air.  Typically these type of pants are also good to protect you from the wind too.  Pack insulated pants, they may come in handy on the evenings or on a dry windy day.  Also pack a hat, scarf and gloves.  Safe travels.

pull on rain / wind pants and jacket are a must have for the traveler that enjoys outdoors.  It gives you a lot more flexibility to combine or not. 

I would choose technical fabric base layer under nylon hikers with a wind/ rain pant over. I can remove the outer layer if not needed .  Heavier insulated storm pants may be overkill. Only you can know that your tolerance levels are.    I am from a cool maritime climate and it has to be down in the freezing levels to really think abut donning anything labeled "insulated"

Rain pants are not expensive, you can order them from Amazon or your favorite outdoor goods store. I've ended up using mine far more often than I thought I would. For me, they are the outermost bottom layer, over all the other layers - I've worn them them over pants or jeans, and a base layer.  If you tend to run "hot", the bulky insulated pants might be more than what you need.  Deeper into fall and winter, yes, you might want those, but over the next month or two, a couple of layers plus rain pants is probably ok.

Or, if you're leaving Thursday, you can buy rain pants somewhere along the way, like in Iceland!  But I think that's something that would be good to have on hand.  Quick-drying light pants are good (way better than jeans, I've learned), but rain pants would add some additional sturdiness for facing the elements.

Have a great time!!

4 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

pull on rain / wind pants and jacket are a must have for the traveler that enjoys outdoors.  It gives you a lot more flexibility to combine or not. 

1 hour ago, hbbae said:

Rain pants are not expensive, you can order them from Amazon or your favorite outdoor goods store. I've ended up using mine far more often than I thought I would. 

Therein lies the problem. I am NOT a traveler who enjoys the outdoors per se. I exist in it, but only so that I can see archaeological sites. I'm much more used to doing such sightseeing in, for example, the Mediterranean where rain pants are not required.  

I'm taking this trip not because I love the natural beauty of Iceland and Greenland. I'm on a quest to look at Viking sites.

I had a pair of rain pants (from LLBean) years ago. Someone told me I would need them on a trip back in about 2010. In all the time since then I wore them only once. Finally tossed them last year when I moved to a condo....

Thanks to the responses here I panic-ordered a pair from Amazon (thank goodness they carry Columbia which usually fits me well) that will arrive tomorrow. I will take them with me but keep the tags on in case I don't need them. 

Edited by cruisemom42

I'm sorry, didn't mean to induce panic!  I'm with you, I am not normally an outdoors person, but have become transfixed with the Arctic and have made several visits (with Greenland coming up again in a couple of weeks) and hope to do more.  All I meant to convey is that rain pants have provided extra protection against the conditions I've often found while traveling there, and that, IMO, the temps might be too warm for the bulkier insulated winter pants.  As noted earlier, rain and wind may be more of a factor than cold.

On a June day-cruise to Eqi Glacier in Greenland about a decade ago, I wore thermals, pants, and rain pants, plus warm jacket, hat with ears covered, gloves etc.  This worked out ok for me -

I hope you have a great time -

I bought rain pants for a lodge to lodge hike in Spain 6 years ago.  Have carried them around on various trips for years.  Never used them once, until this year when I spent several days in them on two different trips.  I was VERY glad to have them.  Like an umbrella, you don't need it until you absolutely do. LOL

Yours are already bought, but for others, something lightweight that isn't too onerous to pack is worth it in the end.  Mine zip all the way up both legs, so I can put them on over my hiking boots.

I do totally agree that having them for your upcoming trip is a good idea.  

Not sure how many real Viking sites you will see as the snow and ice and volcanos and earthquakes in both locations tend to make it pretty hard for their artifacts to remain untouched.  In over a month (so far) in Iceland I have yet to see a Viking site. To be fair, I haven't looked for any but I've had 5 amazing trips seeing about 2/3 of the country so far, and if there had been a Viking site along the way I'm sure I'd have been told about it by a guide or read a sign about it.

18 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Not sure how many real Viking sites you will see as the snow and ice and volcanos and earthquakes in both locations tend to make it pretty hard for their artifacts to remain untouched.  In over a month (so far) in Iceland I have yet to see a Viking site. To be fair, I haven't looked for any but I've had 5 amazing trips seeing about 2/3 of the country so far, and if there had been a Viking site along the way I'm sure I'd have been told about it by a guide or read a sign about it.

I'm in Reykjavik for 2.5 days before my cruise and I'll be seeing four of the sites on this list plus another one, Snorrastofa, which isn't. The "Settlement" site and exhibit is right in downtown Reykjavik, just a couple of blocks from my hotel.

https://archaeology-travel.com/thematic-guides/norsemen-and-vikings/iceland/

In Greenland I will visit the Hvalsey Church Viking ruins and hopefully one other site.

Edited to add:  Volcanoes can actually have a preserving effect: think of Pompeii and Herculaneum in Italy and Akrotiri on Santorini.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Þingvellir is great but it's mostly a natural site.  It is, of course, historic, but I don't recall seeing anything physical there from Viking times

Most of the other items I have seen, they are cool, but they are replicas.  As long as you are OK with that you should have a great time.

We drove past Snorrastofa on our way to a lava tube near Hotel Husafell , it struck us as being "another museum" (we aren't museum people when it comes to Iceland) that we didn't check out.

8 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Þingvellir is great but it's mostly a natural site.  It is, of course, historic, but I don't recall seeing anything physical there from Viking times

There are some foundations of the temporary camps or shelters that the chieftains used (reused each year), near the Lawgiver's Rock.

Most of the other items I have seen, they are cool, but they are replicas.  As long as you are OK with that you should have a great time.

The Settlement Exhibition in Reykjavik primarily was created to house the remains that were found (during the building of a new hotel) of a very early and large steading that may even possibly have belonged to one of the original settlers,  Ingólfur Arnarson, dating from the early 870s. Definitely original, and you can see them up close.

We drove past Snorrastofa on our way to a lava tube near Hotel Husafell , it struck us as being "another museum" (we aren't museum people when it comes to Iceland) that we didn't check out.

Without the histories that Snorri Sturlason wrote down, almost none of the myths and legends of the Viking gods would be known today. The original Vikings in Europe were still pre-literate when Christianity was adopted, and no one thought to write down the history of their pagan gods. But in Iceland, the myths and stories persisted in oral form until Snorri captured them in the Edda and other tales. He also preserved a good deal of the history of early Iceland immediately after the Settlement period. To me, well worth a visit. 

• Like 3

On 8/9/2023 at 2:04 PM, Nitemare said:

Þingvellir is great but it's mostly a natural site. 

@cruisemom42 you’ve said many times that you aren’t especially interested in natural sites, but when you visit Pingvellir for the history (assuming you are going), you will also be in one of the very few places on earth where you can see the Mid-Atlantic Ridge on dry land. And there they are  — exposed tectonic plates —  and you can walk alongside them. It’s pretty amazing. 😊

IMG_5312.thumb.jpeg.695887f762953f84aa401a35245f7b1f.jpeg

• Like 2

cruisemom42, I’m wondering - is this cruise on Swan Hellenic?  I am sailing with them to Greenland in a couple of weeks, on the Vega, and the itinerary before mine sounds similar to what you’ve described.  There are a number of people on CC boards who are interested in feedback about the Swan Hellenic experience - so if that’s the cruise you’re on, I hope you’ll consider sharing some of your impressions along the way.  

Edited by hbbae
Typo

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

@cruisemom42 you’ve said many times that you aren’t especially interested in natural sites, but when you visit Pingvellir for the history (assuming you are going), you will also be in one of the very few places on earth where you can see the Mid-Atlantic Ridge on dry land. And there they are  — exposed tectonic plates —  and you can walk alongside them. It’s pretty amazing. 😊

And you can cross from one plate to another via a metal bridge (that may or may not be there due to seismic action.). Years ago you could jump from one plate to another, but over the years the gap has widened.

On 8/11/2023 at 5:00 AM, hbbae said:

cruisemom42, I’m wondering - is this cruise on Swan Hellenic?  I am sailing with them to Greenland in a couple of weeks, on the Vega, and the itinerary before mine sounds similar to what you’ve described.  There are a number of people on CC boards who are interested in feedback about the Swan Hellenic experience - so if that’s the cruise you’re on, I hope you’ll consider sharing some of your impressions along the way.  

sorry, no, I’m on Oceania. I sailed with previous incarnation of Swan Hellenic though, and I’m also curious about new SH experience.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:07 AM, Turtles06 said:

As luck would have it, my scheduled small group tour that included the Golden Circle was canceled yesterday so I had to scramble to find something and am now doing a tour of Snaefelles peninsula today instead. No Thingvellir I could find without the thermal baths included (at last minute).

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As luck would have it, my scheduled small group tour that included the Golden Circle was canceled yesterday so I had to scramble to find something and am now doing a tour of Snaefelles peninsula today instead. No Thingvellir I could find without the thermal baths included (at last minute).

Too bad about the late cancellation. I hope you enjoy Snaefelles. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 8:13 AM, ljandgb said:

Snaefellsnes is not a bad substitution.  It's got some gorgeous scenery and is generally a bit less crowded than the Golden Circle sites.

It was lovely -- the problem was that we were in the same area a couple of days later when our ship called in to Gründerfjorder; however, I was able to switch my ship excursion to something different -- a boat ride on a trawler that took us up close to some bird islands as well as doing a bit of trawling and letting us try raw, fresh seafood (scallops, etc.).

image.thumb.png.8f7483812a2b0bb0cc5819e1010fe522.png 

image.thumb.png.4448af18ff81973fece0e84414694847.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...