Queen Anne Alternative Dining

Solent Richard

21 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Good heavens. So that's what a Dover Sole looks like.

One is so used to it being taken off the bone  in QG, one almost forgets what the fish actually looks like.

and the tradition will continue in Sir Samuels. It's an art worth watching.

1 hour ago, NE John said:

I agree, it looks like Cunard is looking for a different QA demographic: couples in 30’s/40’s looking for “wellness” experiences with a more “relaxed” attire environment vs a classic QM2 TA. 

Cunard has to be careful by not differing the Cunard experience from ship to ship but that’s what it looks like what’s happening. That’s a good way to water down and send a confusing message about the Cunard brand. Within the overall Carnival ecosystem, there is already enough choices for a non-Cunard experience. What’s going to make QA different vs HAL, Princess, or even non-Carnival brand Celebrity if QA veers too far from the Cunard experience and joins in those lines offering a ship full of khakis and polo shirts in a relaxed environment?

I'm coming to the same conclusion.  They want a different demographic.  Unless people in their 30s-50s start embracing formal wear, the existing ships might be enough to satisfy those of us who like to dress for dinner.  

How they will differentiate themselves from HAL etc remains to be seen.  Or maybe the market for that kind of experience is far from saturated, in which case a new and pretty ship with plenty of dining options and good itineraries will sell itself easily.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I ask for and can get my Bamboo favourite main in QG as a special.

It remains to be seen if I can do the same for Aji Wa. Fingers crossed.

Right. You may have noticed this item from the information @Solent Richard posted.

"Will Diamond members be able to dine in this restaurant rather than Steakhouse at the Verandah?"

The answer for all four of Tramonto, Aranya, Aji Wa and Sir Samuel's is this.

"Further information on Cunard World Club benefits will be shared at a later date."

Edit to add: Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post as it related to getting your favorite main from Aji Wa in QG, not whether you could dine in Aji Wa using your Diamond benefit. My mistake.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Edit to add: Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post as it related to getting your favorite main from Aji Wa in QG, not whether you could dine in Aji Wa using your Diamond benefit. My mistake.

Correct but no problem.🙂

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I ask for and can get my Bamboo favourite main in QG as a special.

It remains to be seen if I can do the same for Aji Wa. Fingers crossed.

One would hope you could get any dish from any of the restaurants in QG , or it would make one wonder why pay QG premium. As our main QG draw is food.

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

One would hope you could get any dish from any of the restaurants in QG , or it would make one wonder why pay QG premium. As our main QG draw is food.

Always providing you give reasonable notice, of course.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Always providing you give reasonable notice, of course.

I believe Wagyu steak it at least one exception where if you want it you must dine in The Verandah and indeed pay for it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I make a point of never presuming as it's rather  entitled. One hopes. 🙂

Why mess with Golden Lion pub menu with "new" Michel Roux jnr take. If it isn't broke don't try and fix it and think it will be a big mistake by Cunard to change fish and chips, chicken tikka masala and ploughman's.

• Like 3

we're only on for a week next June. I can see I'll have to prioritise my dining choices carefully!! Probably the Japanese restaurant and the Med-style one (Tramonto). With a lunch in the Golden Lion of course. But then I love Indian food too .... It's a conundrum. 

Edited by elmsliebev

On 8/8/2023 at 4:13 PM, bluemarble said:

Apparently Sir Samuel's is going to be the venue previously generically identified as "Steakhouse & Grill". Sir Samuel's is going to be offering a steak and seafood menu on Queen Anne.

Also, it looks like the Golden Lion Pub will be offering both lunch and dinner on Queen Anne.

I can’t imagine what Michel Roux Jr could bring to improve the lunchtime fish and chips etc. I wonder if perhaps his input will be directed towards the dinner menu?  

4 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

I can’t imagine what Michel Roux Jr could bring to improve the lunchtime fish and chips etc. I wonder if perhaps his input will be directed towards the dinner menu?  

I agree. I have very much enjoyed a number of meals in his restaurant, but have never imagined his expertise lies in pub food.

On 8/9/2023 at 12:58 PM, cmm398 said:

There is an interesting new topic coming up today where Cunard's UK Sales Director is quoted as saying Queen Anne will be targeting people new to cruising. Not discriminating against loyal passengers, but they need new customers to start cruising them them.

I would guess she may, therefore, have a few more differences coming so she isn't just a copy of the (much loved) existing liners, but launches new features for new customers.

I don't see this as a bad thing; you have to continually evolve and move with the times. The hard part is getting the right balance.

I don't think anyone has metioned this, apologies if repeating.   Seems strange to me the steakhouse on the QA will be called Sir Samuel's as Sir Samuel's exists on the QM2 but that does pastries, cakes and chocolates, but on the existing Queens the steakhouse is the Verandah.  All the other restaraunts are named consistently across the fleet.  I wonder if they will do some renaming on the current fleet to match the QA.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, NE John said:

I agree, it looks like Cunard is looking for a different QA demographic: couples in 30’s/40’s looking for “wellness” experiences with a more “relaxed” attire environment vs a classic QM2 TA. 

Cunard has to be careful by not differing the Cunard experience from ship to ship but that’s what it looks like what’s happening. That’s a good way to water down and send a confusing message about the Cunard brand. Within the overall Carnival ecosystem, there is already enough choices for a non-Cunard experience. What’s going to make QA different vs HAL, Princess, or even non-Carnival brand Celebrity if QA veers too far from the Cunard experience and joins in those lines offering a ship full of khakis and polo shirts in a relaxed environment?

The essence of this is that in order to grow the fleet the demographic 'tent' needs to grow too. And unfortunately for the current culture that means downgrading the classic Cunard experience to a casual, dress any-way-you like mentality. This is exactly what happened to Celebrity as they introduced the large Solstice class ships and more so with the even larger Edge class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_london said:

I don't think anyone has metioned this, apologies if repeating.   Seems strange to me the steakhouse on the QA will be called Sir Samuel's as Sir Samuel's exists on the QM2 but that does pastries, cakes and chocolates, but on the existing Queens the steakhouse is the Verandah.  All the other restaraunts are named consistently across the fleet.  I wonder if they will do some renaming on the current fleet to match the QA.

I think your hunch is right on. Changing Sir Samuel's to a extra-charge steak restaurant gives Cunard revenue growth on their existing ships.

Edited by rolfecms

17 minutes ago, rolfecms said:

The essence of this is that in order to grow the fleet the demographic 'tent' needs to grow too. And unfortunately for the current culture that means downgrading the classic Cunard experience to a casual, dress any-way-you like mentality. This is exactly what happened to Celebrity as they introduced the large Solstice class ships and more so with the even larger Edge class. 

True words. Cunard is getting a bit of overflow from Celebrity pax who want the Gala nights and Cunard atmosphere. At least from a few posts I’ve read on CC. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rolfecms said:

think your hunch is right on. Changing Sir Samuel's to a extra-charge steak restaurant gives Cunard revenue growth on their existing ships.

Every cruise line is trying to increase onboard spend with extra costs options.  It is easier for Cunard with a new ship under construction to add them in.

But looking at the QM2 deckplans (and this is pure speculation) would they take space from the Kings Court buffet and convert that?  I've seen reviews on Youtube, it was either the new Celebrity Apex or NCL Prima class ships that had smaller buffets than would be expected for a ship of that size to allow, presumably, for extra charge options.  I hope this doesn't happen. 

The current Sir Samuels looks small, there is that room next to it (I think it is for the wine tasting) so the two spaces could be cannibalised to make a larger extra cost restaurant.  But that would be a shame to loose the current Sir Samuels

Clearly extra pay options will come to the current ships, I guess once the QA is in service.  But I fear it would mean compromising existing venues to accommodate them. 

10 minutes ago, rolfecms said:

I suppose Cunard have to evolve as they always have done, and we are excited for our 2024 QA cruise. As a couple in their early 30s, if Cunard become like all the other cruise lines and loses the formality we just won’t sail with them anymore. Without the tradition what else do they have going for them? They don’t have any of the bells and whistles of the new cool ships, the entertainment definitely isn’t to our style either. I think most people sail Cunard because of the atmosphere of the ships. Even on our last 2 night mini QV trip the younger crowd (many much younger than us) were still embracing the elegance on a non formal nights and it was nice to see.

We see ourselves as the future Cunarders, after 5 Britannia trips we are now venturing to the Grills, we take 3 or more long haul holidays per year and at least one of those will include a Cunard segment as part of it for the next few years. Cunard have to be careful how far they deviate from the traditional experience. For us the option isn’t Cunard or another cruise line, it’s Cunard or a reasonably luxurious land based stay, we tried other lines and they just don’t do it for us. On every post cruise survey I receive I do try and give this as feedback.

We are excited by some new dining venues, although I hope that they aren’t at the detriment to the main dining rooms and they don’t become one of those lines that push hard on the additional dining. If all of the additional venues are indeed as relaxed as indicated that will be a big shame. Sir Samual’s without crisp white table clothes and with the same dress code as the pub won’t feel like an elevated experience or a night out on the town.

• Like 3

I wonder what Cunarders thought when the QE2 was being retired and the new whipper-snapper QM2 was taking over. Probably the same thoughts as we are posting now lamenting the end of Cunard. 
As a business plan, Cunard should not sell younger people short for their desire to get all gussied-up for a cruise or a crossing; they do!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NE John said:

I wonder what Cunarders thought when the QE2 was being retired and the new whipper-snapper QM2 was taking over. Probably the same thoughts as we are posting now lamenting the end of Cunard. 
As a business plan, Cunard should not sell younger people short for their desire to get all gussied-up for a cruise or a crossing; they do!

I don’t remember many negative comments about QM2 on here, though I’m sure there were some. However, if you go back far enough, you can find plenty of vitriol about the proposed Queen Victoria, which was clearly not a proper Cunard ship, being a Vista.

• Thanks 1

I am excited about having more dining choices on QA. We have cruised Cunard on several occasions and would like these extra dining venues.

Just wondering if they will offer speciality dining packages as Celebrity do? 

Moving with the times will be a positive for Cunard. It ensures their survival. More dining options not only gives more choice when onboard but as some have noted on shorter voyages it will be hard to try them all. Clever business move here that entices people to sail again, with the mind of trying the venues they didn’t get to before. 

The modifying of formality isn’t something new. I imagine some people were concerned about slipping standards when Cunard shifted from formal attire to a mix of formal, semi-formal, smart casual many years ago. I don’t see a singlet and shorts crowd happening on Queen Anne purely because of the price point, advertising and beauty of the interiors. People ultimately dress to feel they belong with their surroundings. 

I’m confident many of the naysayers will come around and I’m sure Cunard is also confident. Just recall concerns about the introduction of the Vista class QE and QV. A lot of criticism of Cunard introducing cruise ships and not ‘real liners’ like the QE2 and QM2. Fast forward and those same critics are now regular cruisers on those Vistas. 

Glad to see Cunard is evolving and thriving. It means Ill be able to enjoy their hospitality for many decades to come. 

• Like 5