Liberty OTS - June 27-August 4

I just did a 9 day cruise on Liberty of the Seas, with stops in Bermuda, Labadee, La Romana and Puerto Plata. I thought I'd write a good, bad and ugly.

Embarkation: Cape Liberty is SO easy. We live a little over an hour from the port so we drove. Pulled up, dropped off our luggage, and directed to parking. For Liberty, handicap parking went in the garage. Everyone else went to a lot a little further away. There are shuttle buses or you can walk. Cost was $270 paid in advance-- in theory. They couldn't accept my credit card because it didn't have a chip. So I was directed to park in the garage. SCORE! Got to the terminal, went through standard airport type security, and was on the ship within minutes. I had a bit of a problem at security when the woman didn’t know what Red Bull and non alcoholic Bloody Mary mix was, and then threatened to have me arrested when I got frustrated with her, but otherwise, things were smooth.

The ship: Liberty is a beautiful ship. Does she have all the bells and whistles of Oasis or Anthem? No. But there are plenty of bars and pools and things to do to keep you as active or relaxed as you want to be. If you look for things, you will find them. Some carpets are stained or worn. Paint is peeling. But never once did I feel “disgusted”.

Dining: we did the main dining room every night for dinner. The food was delicious. Were there things we didn’t like? Sure. But my own mother has made things I don’t like as well. And I’ve had things I don’t like at some fine restaurants. But overall, I was happy with everything I ate. The Indian food is great! Windjammer for most breakfast and lunches, which was also fine. You can easily find something you’ll want to eat.

Other: one thing that made this cruise interesting was the “crowd”. I’m from the Philly area. I’m used to people being loud and obnoxious. I’m one of them. But there was a LOT of that on this ship. Combine that with drink packages and I could see how it could be a bit much for people. Teens just hanging out on stairwells were also annoying, but as my parents pointed out… my sister and I did the same thing when we were teens, so I can’t really complain.

Bermuda: Such a beautiful port. We took a shuttle to Horseshoe Bay. $14 round trip. The ship charges $39. NOT NECESSARY. The shuttles and cabs are lined up right outside the dock and are waiting to take you back when you’re done.

Labadee: it was VERY hot. I personally recommend Nellie’s beach. It was a nice quiet little cove with plenty of sun or shade. I ventured CLOSE to the artisan market and started to get harassed so I ran away.

La Romana: We did the Caves of Wonders excursion through the ship. It was awesome! Also went to a cigar factory and a little gift shop. The port area is great with lots of shops, bars and a pool.

Puerto Plata: We did the Damajagua Waterfalls excursion through the ship. It was a HIKE! Be prepared for it. It was NOT easy. But... the payoff was so worth it. Jumping or sliding down the falls was amazing. The port area is also amazing. It has pools and a lazy river.

Debarkation: VERY smooth. We were group #1. Off the ship by 7:45am. In our car and on the road by 8:15am
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I totally agree with you on the main dining room food. I found it to be delicious for the most part and Windjammer food was better than Oasis imo. I’m glad they got debarking under control. It was a mess in May. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Thanks for the review 😊

4 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I totally agree with you on the main dining room food. I found it to be delicious for the most part and Windjammer food was better than Oasis imo. I’m glad they got debarking under control. It was a mess in May. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Thanks for the review 😊

We'll be on Liberty in October (Canada N/E) and glad to hear the WJ food was good.

• Like 1

Did the same itinerary on Liberty on June 1, gotta agree with your comments on the ship and the food.  I'm thinking this itinerary would be better in the fall or spring, it was very hot in June and I'm sure July and August were as hot or hotter.  We are thinking of going back if possible in October or November, when their winter baseball league starts up until December.

2 hours ago, Baowen said:

The food was delicious. Were there things we didn’t like? Sure. But my own mother has made things I don’t like as well

Hahahaha. I laughed out loud!!🤣

Note I went with my mother and not my wife. Lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mugtech said:

Did the same itinerary on Liberty on June 1, gotta agree with your comments on the ship and the food.  I'm thinking this itinerary would be better in the fall or spring, it was very hot in June and I'm sure July and August were as hot or hotter.  We are thinking of going back if possible in October or November, when their winter baseball league starts up until December.

I don't think the Liberty is in Cape Liberty in November.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 12:04 PM, PGHProducer said:
Embarkation: Cape Liberty is SO easy. 

The ship: Liberty is a beautiful ship. 

Dining: we did the main dining room every night for dinner. The food was delicious. Were there things we didn’t like? Sure. 

Other: one thing that made this cruise interesting was the “crowd”. I’m from the Philly area. I’m used to people being loud and obnoxious. I’m one of them. But there was a LOT of that on this ship. 

Debarkation: VERY smooth. We were group #1. Off the ship by 7:45am. In our car and on the road by 8:15am

Thanks for the review.  I'll be sailing Liberty in Sept for 9-nights to CA/NE.

What time to you arrive at Cape Liberty?

Glad to hear that Liberty is nice; this will be my first time on a Freedom Class ship.

Good news that you enjoyed the MDR food.  Did you have early, late, or MTD (if MTD, what time)?

I hope the crowds are quieter in Sept.  Otherwise, I'll be turning down my hearing aids.  😄

Good that the debarkation was smooth.  I need to catch a 9:20 train at Newark Penn Station.

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Thanks for the review.  I'll be sailing Liberty in Sept for 9-nights to CA/NE.

What time to you arrive at Cape Liberty?

We got there around 11am.

Glad to hear that Liberty is nice; this will be my first time on a Freedom Class ship.

Good news that you enjoyed the MDR food.  Did you have early, late, or MTD (if MTD, what time)?

We had late 8pm dining.

I hope the crowds are quieter in Sept.  Otherwise, I'll be turning down my hearing aids.  😄

Good that the debarkation was smooth.  I need to catch a 9:20 train at Newark Penn Station.

• Thanks 1

My sister and I sailed on Liberty out of Galveston 4 or 5 times.  We love this ship.  Great crew, good food and fun times.  She is not the newest ship, so she is not in perfect shape, but she was still beautiful and in really good shape and the crew was always working on something and cleaning away.  Glad to hear she and her crew are still doing a great job.  Thanks for the review.

I might have to look for another cruise on her.

• Like 1