New to Princess: Can you Check my Princess Plus Math

Generator515

18 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

You just talked me into trying one.😋

Tony

Just for you, my friend.  I was kind of thinking this and it was the Hilton Waikoloa Village.  We weren't staying there, but went to see it and at least had a drink.  It think it was sometime in afternoon or later.  It doesn't matter.  I looked up the hotel and pulled up the menu for the Lagoon Grill.

Darned if it still isn't on the menu and this could be 30 years ago pretty much, so I am sure the drink didn't cost nearly this much.  But you have to factor in the setting into the cost.

LAVA FLOW              18
light rum, coconut cream, pineapple juice, strawberry swirl

I am sure I would have asked for amber rum.  I would hope it is still the same size (generous, IIRC)

Hope you make it there some day.  If you go, I can recommend a great coffee farm to visit and of course there is the volcano park.

I am now gathering these have become de rigeur in the area.  Here is a photo (not me):

Never go wrong with the Lava Flow - Picture of Hilton Waikoloa Village,  Island of Hawaii - Tripadvisor

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 6:00 PM, Generator515 said:

My wife and I decided to sail the Ruby Princess to Alaska next July with our two kids (9 and 5). Neither of us have ever sailed Princess before (NCL and CCL) and it’s been forever since sailed at all. 

I am running the math on whether to do Princess Plus or not. Am I missing anything below?

Deal I got brings Plus down to basically $50 a day. $16 of that goes to gratuities (leaving $34). We’d use the two casual meals knocking about $2 a day off. We’d probably buy ice cream with kids as a treat; at $3 gelato price x2 knocks another $6 off. Things brings it down to about $26 left to cover which would be about two wines at dinner, a juice and a wine, or bottled water never mind any value from internet?

sorry if a rudimentary question. 

If not needing internet (and not everyone does) your math is spot on. Just forgot free room service ($5 each order) + ordering on app ($15 one time)

10 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Wow I can’t believe it no volcano on the menu 😡 let’s start a petition we want the volcano back on the menu. I’ll be the first to sign Tony The Captain Of The Rowboat 🥰 

BTW thanks for the best wishes Steelers36

Tony

IMG_1393.jpeg

DSCN1172.jpeg

Current (as of June 16, 2023) children's menu calls it something else. Although it doesn't say berries it still had them:

Screenshot_20230810-062619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1c378756da87af499aefaa42f562dfbc.jpg

12 hours ago, Generator515 said:

can’t see myself reducing gratuities. In scheme of things that ~$250 means a lot more to the crew than me and sure kids will produce their share of a mess. 

That's what you should do having all the information to make choices that work for you. 

11 hours ago, PMGS247 said:
On 8/9/2023 at 1:09 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

@PMGS247 All good numbers, but OP is new to Princess.  WiFi will cost them $15.00 pp/pd.  

Yeah so OP's math is even more likely to be a slam dunk.  A good example showing everyone has to do their own math

Assumption is that internet us needed. Not everyone needs to remain plugged in 24×7

@memoak I don't. I'm plugged in continually here so I appreciate being unplugged. I just deal with 15-30 minutes on the TV. I wouldn't even carry my phone if it wasn't for ON. Before my trips this year when I got so used to ON, it lived in the safe. 

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Assumption is that internet us needed. Not everyone needs to remain plugged in 24×7

Right. You miss the point. No one’s saying everyone should consider wifi cost. The whole point is everyone has a different calculation. When I considered my internet in my calculation it was under the label “what I would purchase if I didn’t have the package”. If it’s not something you would purchase, don’t factor it into your calculation. If so (most people these days) it should be factored at what it would cost you. 

44 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Right. You miss the point. No one’s saying everyone should consider wifi cost. The whole point is everyone has a different calculation. When I considered my internet in my calculation it was under the label “what I would purchase if I didn’t have the package”. If it’s not something you would purchase, don’t factor it into your calculation. If so (most people these days) it should be factored at what it would cost you. 

We actually agree that everyone's needs are different -- some can't bear to be unplugged [FOMO] and many are so relieved to be unplugged especially when traveling with family & friends. OP is traveling with family

Edited by Ombud

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

We actually agree that everyone's needs are different -- some can't bear to be unplugged [FOMO] and many are so relieved to be unplugged especially when traveling with family & friends. OP is traveling with family

Right…the point is, calculate it the way that makes sense for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

@Steelers36 I love a good Lava Flow and I’ll be staying at Hilton Waikoloa Village next month. What is the name of the coffee farm you recommend? TIA

Greenwell Farms.  

81-6581 Mamalahoa Highway

Kealakekua, Hawaii 96750

https://www.greenwellfarms.com/pages/big-island-kona-coffee-tours

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 10:51 PM, Steelers36 said:

Just for you, my friend.  I was kind of thinking this and it was the Hilton Waikoloa Village.  We weren't staying there, but went to see it and at least had a drink.  It think it was sometime in afternoon or later.  It doesn't matter.  I looked up the hotel and pulled up the menu for the Lagoon Grill.

Darned if it still isn't on the menu and this could be 30 years ago pretty much, so I am sure the drink didn't cost nearly this much.  But you have to factor in the setting into the cost.

LAVA FLOW              18
light rum, coconut cream, pineapple juice, strawberry swirl

I am sure I would have asked for amber rum.  I would hope it is still the same size (generous, IIRC)

Hope you make it there some day.  If you go, I can recommend a great coffee farm to visit and of course there is the volcano park.

I am now gathering these have become de rigeur in the area.  Here is a photo (not me):

Never go wrong with the Lava Flow - Picture of Hilton Waikoloa Village,  Island of Hawaii - Tripadvisor

Looks almost like a Miami Vice!