Book a transatlantic, stay a month and return on another transatlantic

If you took Cunard one way to/from the UK/Mainland Europe and the other direction on RC it could work as Cunard Queen Mary 2 crosses the Atlantic virtually every week.

There are also some off season Royal Caribbean transatlantice trips for example in Oct 2024 you could go from Orlando to Lisbon then come back from Barcelona at the end of Nov 2024.

• Like 1

There are few opportunities, but, they do exist.  Two Adventure OTS TA's in October and November '24 with 3 weeks between them, are a current offering.

Can always be done in combination with other cruise lines, most notably, Cunard, which sails back and forth regularly. 

I use online TA's to search for such pairings.  This summer, there was a late NCL Eastbound, and you could  have chosen an early Artic Circle Westbound on several lines to return.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

For this sort of schedule, at least one of the crossings will likely be on Cunard's Queen Mary 2. This might be paired with another QM2 crossing or another line's repositioning cruise.

These days the basic QM2 crossing is seven days - plus there is often a 'side trip' scheduled at either the New York or Southampton ends [for example we had a 12 night Norway and Northern Lights side trip last November]

There is a website cruisetransatlantic.com that currently lists all TA cruises for 2023-2024.  It is not a travel agent website.  It shows the date, start and end ports, and cruise line, but not the name of the ship.  Use it as a planning tool.

Note that QM2 leaves on her annual world cruise in Jan. and does not resume crossings until mid to late May.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have done it multiple times and it has been previously discussed here on CC.  It will often mean using two cruise lines and different ports.  So, for example, we might cruise from the USA to Barcelona, spend a few weeks (or months in Europe) and take a return cruise from Rotterdam, Hamburg, etc.  

These kind of trips are fun for those of us who are very travel-independent and can sometimes “think out of the box.”

I like to use a decent cruise data base (operated by a decent cruise agency) that makes it easy to search for cruises by using various criteria.  For example, I can simply look for all TA cruises in August.  Once we find the possible cruises we develop a land travel plan that works.  It’s always lots of fun working out the ideal land itinerary and related logistics (ie rental cars, trains, planes).  One might even be able to slip a river cruise into the itinerary.

Hank

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Early next year there's a rare opportunity to do this on NCL's Joy due to a recent dry dock decision.  It leaves out of Miami headed to Southampton (11-21 January), and then 13 February it heads back to Miami.  Both ways are strictly sea days.  

On 8/19/2023 at 11:49 PM, Girr said:

Early next year there's a rare opportunity to do this on NCL's Joy due to a recent dry dock decision.  It leaves out of Miami headed to Southampton (11-21 January), and then 13 February it heads back to Miami.  Both ways are strictly sea days.  

Winter crossings on a ship built for warm waters???  

• Like 1

This would make my husband so happy.  He likes his travels to Europe, but absolutely hates to fly.  Of late, we have been taking a TA as a one-way passage to/from Europe.  If he could do a TA both ways, he would be thrilled.  Hmmm . . . 

On 8/22/2023 at 9:33 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Winter crossings on a ship built for warm waters???  

A terrific issue that we have mentioned to friends as a consideration.  For folks that tend to spend most sea days indoors (no matter the weather) there is seldom an issue.  But for those that enjoy spending a lot of time lounging around a pool (pool deck), they might want to look at ships that have a decent all-weather pool deck (such as the Queen Mary 2, Grand Princess, etc).  

We assume that most reading this thread are comfortable with lots of sea days.  If not, we would suggest some real soul searching before booking most TAs or Pacific crossings.

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

A terrific issue that we have mentioned to friends as a consideration.  For folks that tend to spend most sea days indoors (no matter the weather) there is seldom an issue.  But for those that enjoy spending a lot of time lounging around a pool (pool deck), they might want to look at ships that have a decent all-weather pool deck (such as the Queen Mary 2, Grand Princess, etc).  

We assume that most reading this thread are comfortable with lots of sea days.  If not, we would suggest some real soul searching before booking most TAs or Pacific crossings.

Hank

Amen Hank, I’ve seen a foot of snow on the pool deck of a cruise ship.  Obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 2:03 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Good points, Hank!

• 3 months later...

In 2018 My wife and I were booked on a 14 night TA from Miami to Rome. We intended to stay 5-7 nights in Rome then fly back.  I found a cruise ship transiting the Mediterranean , stopping at Barcelona and headed for the USA, I also found an overnight ferry from Rome to Barcelona getting there the day before the ship docked in Barcelona. I dearly wanted to get on that ship for the return voyage but back then I was a working fool and had to get back to pay the bills. I also did not think the boss would be too happy with me taking like 5-6 weeks off work. I really, really should have just done it. Now that I am retired, I am looking for just such another opportunity.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Norwegian has various options in Nov/Dec this year for transatlantic round trips. Fine if you don't mind the cold weather in Europe at that time.  All 2024 unless stated.

From the US to Europe are:

Oct 21-Nov 4, Norwegian Sky, NY to Barcelona

Nov 3-Nov 17, Norwegian Encore, Miami to London

Return from Europe to US after those:

Nov 7-Nov 23, Norwegian Prima, Rome to NY

Nov 26-Dec 10, Norwegian Escape, Barcelona to Miami

Nov 30-Dec 14. Norwegian Pearl, Barcelona to Miami

Dec 3-Dec 15, Norwegian Encore, London to Miami

Also works in the other direction (round trip from Europe), earlier outbounds from Europe are:

Oct 6-Oct 18, Norwegian Getaway, Lisbon to Miami

Oct 17-Oct 30, Norwegian Epic, Rome to Orlando

return on Oct 21 NY, Nov 3 Miami, or: Jan4-Jan 17 (2025) Norwegian Bliss Miami to London

Most of these are very reasonably priced (except the Prima). 

• 2 weeks later...

We're doing this exact thing next year on the Carnival Valor, New Orleans to Barcelona. Thanks to a drydock, the ship's headed for Barcelona April 24, 2025 and back to New Orleans June 11. It's actually my first trip to Europe, so I'm looking forward to that month!