Can a guarantee cabin be changed or not?

Booked 3 cabins on Anthem for this upcoming December and we chose balcony guarantee because it was a few hundred less than choose your own cabin. We have been assigned cabins already and while we are generally ok with where we are, one couple would prefer to not be so far forward. So I emailed our TA and asked can she see if there are any cabins open in our same category to move to and this is the response I got from her.....

But, unfortunately, Royal does not allow change requests for them.  This is the reason for their low price.  You must accept their allocation.  I'm sorry about that.

Not a big deal, as we knew when we chose guarantee what could happen. It's more the question of is she correct or just doesn't want to be bothered?

I booked a Suite Guarantee recently and was immediately assigned a cabin by Celebrity . I asked my TA to move us to a cabin location I saw available online and they did it for me no problem. Cabin just has to be in same category. I did the same with Royal Carribean a few years back with no problem. Unless Royal changed their policy since. 

Edited by CruisinBanka
Additional information
  • Like 2

Q

What is a guarantee stateroom and how does it work?

A

At times we may offer you the option of making a ‘Guarantee’ (GTY) booking. This means you may book a stateroom of a guaranteed category type (Interior, Oceanview, Balcony or Suite) on your chosen ship and cruise.However, the exact grade, number and location of the stateroom on the ship will be allocated by us (at our discretion) and at any time up until checking in at the port.Once your GTY stateroom has been allocated to you, we are unable to accept any changes requested by you. Guests booked in GTY cabins may not be berthed with other travelling parties due to availability. Staterooms allocated may be subject to obstructed views.

Technically the TA is correct but a good one would at least try and see on availability to move

Edited by bigmoose7563
spelling
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Booked 3 cabins on Anthem for this upcoming December and we chose balcony guarantee because it was a few hundred less than choose your own cabin. We have been assigned cabins already and while we are generally ok with where we are, one couple would prefer to not be so far forward. So I emailed our TA and asked can she see if there are any cabins open in our same category to move to and this is the response I got from her.....

But, unfortunately, Royal does not allow change requests for them.  This is the reason for their low price.  You must accept their allocation.  I'm sorry about that.

Not a big deal, as we knew when we chose guarantee what could happen. It's more the question of is she correct or just doesn't want to be bothered?

This one is "on" your travel agent.

If there is a cabin available in the EXACT same category, the cabin can be changed.  Go online.  Look at the cruise you are on and see if there are any cabins in the EXACT category.  E.G., 2E.  Find an acceptable cabin, call your TA back, and insist that they call RC and change the cabin.

(ETA:  If your agent refuses, you are SOL, because RC won't talk to you once you have a TA.  They own your reservation.)

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

If there is a cabin available in the EXACT same category, the cabin can be changed.  Go online.  Look at the cruise you are on and see if there are any cabins in the EXACT category.  E.G., 2E.  Find an acceptable cabin, call your TA back, and insist that they call RC and change the cabin.

This. I used to book nothing but GTY's and we almost always changed them... no charge, no problem. Most recent experience was last October.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Unfortunately you got a TA that is not very experienced with Royal.  If there are other cabins in the exact same category it would take them under a minute to make the change on line through cruising power without having to even call in for assistance in most cases.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the responses. I just can’t catch a break with TA’s. This is our third one. Can’t seem to find one that knows the cruising business well. I will look online myself and call her if I happen to find an equal cabin myself. Maybe if I do the actual footwork she will complete the process!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Thanks all for the responses. I just can’t catch a break with TA’s. This is our third one. Can’t seem to find one that knows the cruising business well. I will look online myself and call her if I happen to find an equal cabin myself. Maybe if I do the actual footwork she will complete the process!  

With your TA getting commission for 3 cabins, it’s the least they could do! Best of luck getting the cabins you want! 

Understand what everyone is saying about the TA but isn't that the chance you take by buying a GTY cabin. And that's why it's less money. If everyone wants to change because they don't get a cabin they want then pick your cabin in the first place and pay the extra $'s.

2 minutes ago, rmzlvacationers said:

You would think! She’s actually booked 5 cabins for us. The other two are being done by another family member. 

Do the leg work find the cabin # you want then call and insist that your TA do this for you.

1 hour ago, Jt4428 said:

isn't that the chance you take by buying a GTY cabin

Sure, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't move your cabin if others are available given that it is allowed.

I used to book nothing but GTY's and moved my cabin pretty much EVERY cruise. Plenty of times I was fine with my assignment but, especially when ships weren't this full, there was always something slightly better so why wouldn't I move?

On the last GTY I ever booked, last October, I think I moved twice in the last 2 weeks before my sail date.

Edited by OCSC Mike

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sure, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't move your cabin if others are available given that it is allowed.

I used to book nothing but GTY's and moved my cabin pretty much EVERY cruise. Plenty of times I was fine with my assignment but, especially when ships weren't this full, there was always something slightly better so why wouldn't I move?

On the last GTY I ever booked, last October, I think I moved twice in the last 2 weeks before my sail date.

If you can do it great. But don't complain if they won't. That's what you paid for.

The only time we booked a guaranteed, by the time we cruised, my dh's mobility problems were much worse. We went to guest services and were graciously given a cabin in a significantly better location. RC has been good to us more than once. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jt4428 said:

If you can do it great. But don't complain if they won't. That's what you paid for.

The complaint is that their TA isn’t doing their job well… a very valid complaint.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, C_hasRedBottoms said:

There were cabins available in the exact same category, I asked to be moved and was denied. 

When this happens, call back and speak to another agent. Unfortunately, some know far more than others.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 1:08 PM, bigmoose7563 said:

Q

What is a guarantee stateroom and how does it work?

A

At times we may offer you the option of making a ‘Guarantee’ (GTY) booking. This means you may book a stateroom of a guaranteed category type (Interior, Oceanview, Balcony or Suite) on your chosen ship and cruise.However, the exact grade, number and location of the stateroom on the ship will be allocated by us (at our discretion) and at any time up until checking in at the port.Once your GTY stateroom has been allocated to you, we are unable to accept any changes requested by you. Guests booked in GTY cabins may not be berthed with other travelling parties due to availability. Staterooms allocated may be subject to obstructed views.

Technically the TA is correct but a good one would at least try and see on availability to move

I guess this is another example of many where RCCL doesn't "always" enforce its own policies.  However, I do believe that it is prudent to know them, that's why I post them often.  Knowledge is a good thing, ignorance isn't.