New to MSC

cbfb

We having been cruising for some time but first time MSC. I have a few questions. 

it gives me a range for dining time: 5:00-7:30. Does that mean we show up between those times or will we be assigned a specific time? Worried about getting 5:00!!! 

Does the plus package covered drinks up to a specific dollar amount?

we are booking a balcony cabin. I was looking at 14198. Any input? 

anything else I should know? 

thanks so much for your help. We are looking to book a September cruise so we have to move quickly. 

The Easy Plus package includes frozen drinks and fresh fruit cocktails, something the Easy package does not. All beverages up to $10 are included and gratuities are also included. If you click on the button for each package, it tells you what is included.

As for cabin 14198, you didn't specify what ship you're talking about. But the key to me is whether you have another cabin above you and below you, so that it's quiet. You don't want to have the pool deck or the buffet above you.

• Like 1

Just now, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

The Easy Plus package includes frozen drinks and fresh fruit cocktails, something the Easy package does not. All beverages up to $10 are included and gratuities are also included. If you click on the button for each package, it tells you what is included.

As for cabin 14198, you didn't specify what ship you're talking about. But the key to me is whether you have another cabin above you and below you, so that it's quiet. You don't want to have the pool deck or the buffet above you.

Thank you! Sorry about that, I didn’t include it. It’s Seaside we are looking at. 

7 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Thank you! Sorry about that, I didn’t include it. It’s Seaside we are looking at.

On Seaside Deck 13 is all cabins and Deck 15 is all cabins. So you should be in good shape from a noise perspective anywhere on Deck 14. Can't tell you anything about your specific cabin choice though.

22 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

On Seaside Deck 13 is all cabins and Deck 15 is all cabins. So you should be in good shape from a noise perspective anywhere on Deck 14. Can't tell you anything about your specific cabin choice though.

Thank you. One other question, if I purchase a drink higher than the $10 limit do I just pay the difference? 

How many are in your party?  The bed for the 3/4 persons is a double sofa bed.

It appears you are Fantastica experience.  So you will have assigned dining time and table.  Seaside often has three seatings, 5:00-7:30 means you have one of the early seatings.  Your dining time and dining room will be printed on your cruise card.  If it is not satisfactory, see the Maitre’d to see if it can be changed.  EM.  

What "experience" are you planning to book under?  If Bella or Fantastica, you will be assigned a dinner time, and you should show up at that time.  (If the time you are given is unsatisfactory, you can speak with a dining room manager and ask to be changed.)

If you book Aurea, you will be able to show up any time within the open hours of your dining room.

Apart from that, your "anything else" might include the fact that the cruise will not be a duplicate of other mainstream cruiselines, due in large part to the fact that American passengers will probably be a minority.  We really enjoy that, some do not.  Shows are more visual and less language-dependent. Some foods might not be exactly as you are used to them. Service can be a bit more formal and a little less effusive.

1 hour ago, cbfb said:

it gives me a range for dining time: 5:00-7:30. Does that mean we show up between those times or will we be assigned a specific time? Worried about getting 5:00!!! 

You already did...

You will be expected to turn up at 5pm or very soon after, but as others have said, you can ask to change that sitting once you are onboard.

15 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

How many are in your party?  The bed for the 3/4 persons is a double sofa bed.

It appears you are Fantastica experience.  So you will have assigned dining time and table.  Seaside often has three seatings, 5:00-7:30 means you have one of the early seatings.  Your dining time and dining room will be printed on your cruise card.  If it is not satisfactory, see the Maitre’d to see if it can be changed.  EM.  

There will be 2 per room, 4 total. We are traveling with friends. Is there a way to ensure we are given the same dining time? 

Just now, Mark_T said:

You already did...

You will be expected to turn up at 5pm or very soon after, but as others have said, you can ask to change that sitting once you are onboard.

It stated between 5-7:30. That’s why I’m confused. 

13 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

What "experience" are you planning to book under?  If Bella or Fantastica, you will be assigned a dinner time, and you should show up at that time.  (If the time you are given is unsatisfactory, you can speak with a dining room manager and ask to be changed.)

If you book Aurea, you will be able to show up any time within the open hours of your dining room.

Apart from that, your "anything else" might include the fact that the cruise will not be a duplicate of other mainstream cruiselines, due in large part to the fact that American passengers will probably be a minority.  We really enjoy that, some do not.  Shows are more visual and less language-dependent. Some foods might not be exactly as you are used to them. Service can be a bit more formal and a little less effusive.

I believe it’s fantastica so it would be assigned. Love the idea of being an American minority!!! Thank you for all the information. 

Just now, cbfb said:

It stated between 5-7:30. That’s why I’m confused. 

That is the sitting window, you should be there close to 5pm and will be expected to have finished and left before 7:30pm so they can reset for the next sitting.

Often the window is a little shorter than that though, but it doesn't mean you can turn up an hour into service and expect a warm welcome 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Mark_T said:

That is the sitting window, you should be there close to 5pm and will be expected to have finished and left before 7:30pm so they can reset for the next sitting.

Often the window is a little shorter than that though, but it doesn't mean you can turn up an hour into service and expect a warm welcome 🙂

I see. Thank you I would not have realized that. 5:00 dining is probably a dealbreaker for us so I appreciate this information. 

1 minute ago, cbfb said:

I see. Thank you I would not have realized that. 5:00 dining is probably a dealbreaker for us so I appreciate this information. 

5pm is early, but it is not confirmed until you are onboard and there will be a card in your cabin with the sitting time and table number on it.

You can see the Maître d' if you want to request a change and sync up tables with your companions.

Aurea experience get anytime dining...

1 minute ago, Mark_T said:

5pm is early, but it is not confirmed until you are onboard and there will be a card in your cabin with the sitting time and table number on it.

You can see the Maître d' if you want to request a change and sync up tables with your companions.

Aurea experience get anytime dining...

Thank you!! 

46 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Thank you. One other question, if I purchase a drink higher than the $10 limit do I just pay the difference? 

On some MSC ships you pay the difference between the higher price and $10. On other MSC ships the package is ignored and you pay the full price for the drink choice. The best way to find how this ship operates will be to ask at a bar once you're on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can swing it I highly recommend booking the Aurea or Yacht club experience. I will be starting my review of Seaside tomorrow (our last sea day). Spoiler alert… it’s been a nice cruise but I have several criticisms with this go round than on any of my other MSC experiences. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If you can swing it I highly recommend booking the Aurea or Yacht club experience. I will be starting my review of Seaside tomorrow (our last sea day). Spoiler alert… it’s been a nice cruise but I have several criticisms with this go round than on any of my other MSC experiences. 

Thank you! I look forward to reading it. 

13 minutes ago, cbfb said:

My options when booking are 5:30-7:30 or 9:30. Does the 9:30 time mean to arrive at 9:30 or be done by 9:30? I feel like such a ditz to be so confused about dining times! 🤣

There will probably be 3 sittings, they tend to offer early and late when booking and then spread people into the middle sitting from those.

So 9:30 would be the start time for the late sitting.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

On some MSC ships you pay the difference between the higher price and $10. On other MSC ships the package is ignored and you pay the full price for the drink choice. The best way to find how this ship operates will be to ask at a bar once you're on board.

I though that had gone fleet-wide? ... have there been any recent reports of this not being the case?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

There will probably be 3 sittings, they tend to offer early and late when booking and then spread people into the middle sitting from those.

So 9:30 would be the start time for the late sitting.

Got it. Thanks so much. 

The cabin looks good, because you will have a nice view to the rear due to the indentation just aft of your cabin. This photo will show you what is directly above, and what is directly below you, and as someone else mentioned, it looks good.

As to the dining time, you could be assigned at any time during that window.  If you don't like your assigned time, once it is assigned (you won't know until onboard), politely discuss this w/the Maître d.

IMG_0579.png

Edited by Stockjock