LIVE from the Glory: Aug 13-20, 2023

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from PrincessArlena's Dad! Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

PrincessArlena'sDad was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I’m back!!!!

Thanks to all of you who followed along on our Horizon adventure last month.  I hope everyone enjoys this Live review and trip report as well.

For those who did not see my Horizon review, it’s here: 

Today is the day we packed up the car and started DRIVING to New Orleans.  No flights this trip! 

We still didn’t get our replacement garment bag for the one American Airlines destroyed.  In fact, I don’t think they even shipped it yet.  Maybe it’ll come while we’re gone? Anyone have a magic 9 ball they can ask?  If it does manage to come while we’re away, at least we have the cat sitter to bring it in the house. The cat will be happy to have it.  

Hopefully our suits and dresses don’t get wrinkled. I folded them up best I could.  I’ll let you know. 

We got a late start today, as the kids had their last day of camp.  Well, most of us did.  My daughter left with my parents early this morning, and made it to Knoxville today.  My wife and I picked up her father before getting the kids at camp.  This worked out perfectly.  They got out of camp just in time for rush hour traffic. Just like I wanted! 

One difference between camp and school that I noticed: on the last day of school, the kids come running out the moment the bell rings, as if the building was burning down.  On the last day of camp, the kids refuse to leave.  They hang around taking pictures of each other. Hugging.  Crying. I’m siting in the car in the car pool lane in the camp parking lot, watching our arrival time on the GPS getting later and later. It did amuse me, though, that the parking lot managed to show up as a RED traffic delay on the GPS. Impressive real time accuracy!

We planned on stopping for dinner at Edelweiss Restaurant in Stauntan, VA. We had been here once, all the way back in 2015. It was as good as we remembered.  I had the German Sampler so I could try a bit of everything.  Great meal to start off the trip! 

Unfortunately, we had to wait a bit for a table, so we spent longer there than I would have liked.  I wish we had thought of calling ahead to see if they take reservations or call ahead seating.  Oh well.  Next time. Which will be in 2031, if we continue at the same frequency of visitations.

After dinner, we drove another hour to Troutville, to the Comfort Suites.  Which is where I am now, as I type this.  The hotel is very clean, and very comfortable. If you ever pass through here, I highly recommend this hotel, after dinner at Edelweiss. 

It’s time for me to get some sleep.  We’re going to make it all the way to Hattiesburg tomorrow, so lots of driving. Breakfast will be in the hotel, lunch will be at Firehouse subs in Ooltewah, TN, and dinner will be in Laurel, MS at Pit Master BBQ (based on a recommendation from someone here on the Gulf Coast departure board.

See you tomorrow! Maybe I’ll post an update while my wife takes a shift driving. I’ll be sure to keep an updated count of the number of cars and trucks in the left lane driving 10 mph or more below the speed limit. I would have done that today, but I can’t count that high.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter in The Continuing Tales of a Garment Bag. Here's hoping you return to find the cat has a new play station. 

Ooh Counting Cars - sounds like a lot of pressure for a leisure trip. 🤔

Thanks for bringing us along - safe travels, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy to go along on this adventure with you (virtually,  that is! 😉). You're currently  in my neck of the woods.  Edelweiss is about an hour from my home, and we've stayed at Comfort Suites in Troutville. Our kids went to VA Tech, so that's a much-travelled road for us! I'm looking forward to another great review!

• Thanks 1

I’m really looking forward to the review. 
Do you have any time in New Orleans before you leave. It’s a great town with lots to do.

If you get time stop by the Firehouse in the French Quarter (Engine 29). They sell T Shirts that support local charities. Tell Capt Ronnie his friends in Chicago say Hello.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

Happy to go along on this adventure with you (virtually,  that is! 😉). You're currently  in my neck of the woods.  Edelweiss is about an hour from my home, and we've stayed at Comfort Suites in Troutville. Our kids went to VA Tech, so that's a much-travelled road for us! I'm looking forward to another great review!

Thanks.  Have you had the black first cake there? It was great. Rice pudding got a thumbs up from the kids. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nydney1 said:

I’m really looking forward to the review. 
Do you have any time in New Orleans before you leave. It’s a great town with lots to do.

If you get time stop by the Firehouse in the French Quarter (Engine 29). They sell T Shirts that support local charities. Tell Capt Ronnie his friends in Chicago say Hello.

Sadly, no.  But, with the record heat wave they are having this week, it wouldn't be the best time to go.  We'll make a separate trip to NO one day. 

Though, my parents and daughter are spending the day there after the cruise. I'll pass your suggestion on to them. 

So we're driving down I-81 and I already lost count of the number of cars in the left lane going 10mph under the speed limit. 

The prize goes to the guy eating while driving. With a fork.  And holding the dish with the other hand.  And no third hand for the wheel. 

Kids are watching (and we're listening in the front seats) Bedknobs and Broomsticks - extended version.  Beautiful Briny Sea is currently playing. 

Yesterday we had Lady and the Tramp and then Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Next will be Cats.  Not the weird CGI version, but a filming of a stage production starring Ellen Paige. 

The soccer game is starting! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Thanks.  Have you had the black first cake there? It was great. Rice pudding got a thumbs up from the kids. 

I've never ordered dessert there! Always too full from the heavy German food 😄 and generous portions!

Right now we're listening to the Pekes and the Polickles. 

Bark bark bark bark

Until you can hear them all over the park

At the comfort suites they had some really nice photos of natural bridge.  We went there in 2015... also when we went to Edelweiss. I was telling our 11 year old about it, as he doesn't remember going. A couple of ladies overheard our conversation and asked where it was.  I told them it was about an hour north, and they got all excited as that's where they were going. They were actually going to the safari park with the grandkids that's there. 

Now they are spending half the day with the grandkids and half the day at natural bridge. 

I think I caused family strife. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

We're along for the ride. Never cruised from NOLA, but we will be sailing from there in 2025. 😎

Sailing from NOLA is interesting  - takes forever (it seems) to actually get out and into open water.

DH swears we won't fit under the bridge, but we always seem to make it - never yet had to let the air out the tires, lol.

Patti should get some great pictures!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I’m back!!!!

Thanks to all of you who followed along on our Horizon adventure last month.  I hope everyone enjoys this Live review and trip report as well.

For those who did not see my Horizon review, it’s here: 

Today is the day we packed up the car and started DRIVING to New Orleans.  No flights this trip! 

We still didn’t get our replacement garment bag for the one American Airlines destroyed.  In fact, I don’t think they even shipped it yet.  Maybe it’ll come while we’re gone? Anyone have a magic 9 ball they can ask?  If it does manage to come while we’re away, at least we have the cat sitter to bring it in the house. The cat will be happy to have it.  

Hopefully our suits and dresses don’t get wrinkled. I folded them up best I could.  I’ll let you know. 

We got a late start today, as the kids had their last day of camp.  Well, most of us did.  My daughter left with my parents early this morning, and made it to Knoxville today.  My wife and I picked up her father before getting the kids at camp.  This worked out perfectly.  They got out of camp just in time for rush hour traffic. Just like I wanted! 

One difference between camp and school that I noticed: on the last day of school, the kids come running out the moment the bell rings, as if the building was burning down.  On the last day of camp, the kids refuse to leave.  They hang around taking pictures of each other. Hugging.  Crying. I’m siting in the car in the car pool lane in the camp parking lot, watching our arrival time on the GPS getting later and later. It did amuse me, though, that the parking lot managed to show up as a RED traffic delay on the GPS. Impressive real time accuracy!

We planned on stopping for dinner at Edelweiss Restaurant in Stauntan, VA. We had been here once, all the way back in 2015. It was as good as we remembered.  I had the German Sampler so I could try a bit of everything.  Great meal to start off the trip! 

Unfortunately, we had to wait a bit for a table, so we spent longer there than I would have liked.  I wish we had thought of calling ahead to see if they take reservations or call ahead seating.  Oh well.  Next time. Which will be in 2031, if we continue at the same frequency of visitations.

After dinner, we drove another hour to Troutville, to the Comfort Suites.  Which is where I am now, as I type this.  The hotel is very clean, and very comfortable. If you ever pass through here, I highly recommend this hotel, after dinner at Edelweiss. 

It’s time for me to get some sleep.  We’re going to make it all the way to Hattiesburg tomorrow, so lots of driving. Breakfast will be in the hotel, lunch will be at Firehouse subs in Ooltewah, TN, and dinner will be in Laurel, MS at Pit Master BBQ (based on a recommendation from someone here on the Gulf Coast departure board.

See you tomorrow! Maybe I’ll post an update while my wife takes a shift driving. I’ll be sure to keep an updated count of the number of cars and trucks in the left lane driving 10 mph or more below the speed limit. I would have done that today, but I can’t count that high.

Yeah , you're back!! Have a safe trip.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, kilndude said:

WE have went out of NOLA. twice so far . never been awake long enough to see us going under the bridge. the glory is a nice ship with outstanding crew.

Exactly - it's a long departure, for sure!

• Like 1

If you are referring to those bridges you see when you get to the dock, you don't go under those bridges when you depart or come back.  The very first leg of your cruise is north for a short period. You can see this better if you look at Google maps and find the Carnival cruise embarkation area.  

It is a long trip to the mouth of the gulf.

If you are driving to the port, the nice thing about the Carnival location is that the parking structure is also where you check in and board.  On building where you can give your luggage to the porters, find a spot and take the elevators down to begin the boarding process.  Same when you arrive back in NOLA.

I was on the Glory in April, the food was good ( I had late dining), the cabin was kept clean (even with once per day service) and the crew were friendly.  One of my dining servers was also working the buffet area during breakfast and lunch.  When she saw me, she would always come over and say hello.

Have a nice cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Yesterday we had Lady and the Tramp and then Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Next will be Cats.  Not the weird CGI version, but a filming of a stage production starring Ellen Paige. 

The soccer game is starting! 

Joseph...Dreamcoat is such a great show!  Do you all sing along? 😉 I played the Narrator in a production and it was a blast!

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

• Like 1

The vast sitter reported that our garment  bag arrived today. Just in time! 

The box shows it's a Delsey. But I can't tell from the picture is it's a comparable size to the old one. 

Further bad news.  The sealed box prevents the cat from using the garment bag as a bed. 

We are later than we would have liked driving down. We ran into a bad thunderstorm that slowed things down. Plus there was a tractor trailer fire near Chattanooga. GPS routed us through downtown Chattanooga. Very scenic and fun to drive through.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Joseph...Dreamcoat is such a great show!  Do you all sing along? 😉 I played the Narrator in a production and it was a blast!

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

We all sing the entire show!

My daughter was in the show in the ensemble; her HS did it. 

We just finished watching Mary Poppins.  Now we have the radio going (1st Wave) and the kids are playing Exploding Kittens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

We all sing the entire show!

My daughter was in the show in the ensemble; her HS did it. 

We just finished watching Mary Poppins.  Now we have the radio going (1st Wave) and the kids are playing Exploding Kittens.

My sister and I would sing the score of "Hello Dolly", "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and anything else my parents had on 8-track.  Great way to pass the time on a long drive🥰