airline scamble

gowilk

where i do i start….then aa one way and ua back….cool… they changed time at least 6 times in 2 months, currently 1 at a almost full flight with NO seat assigned.  Fracnthly this is iteraable and mean that i will never book air with then again.  why all the charges? it ain’t the airline….and at least pay for the ticket.

Well, if I am reading this correctly, and not that there cannot be issues with Viking Air, but Viking would not - IMO - just change around flights indiscriminately and for the fun of it.

Airlines still are very good at cancelling, changing schedules, aircraft, etc., which is likely more to blame.

One of the last airfare bookings we had with Delta from Toronto to Buenos Aires - that we booked ourselves - had over 10 changes before we actually flew.    

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Viking has it's issues, I won't deny that, but after just experiencing cancelation after cancelation and being stuck in the airport sometimes standing at the gate only to be cancelled, and arriving 24 hours late, the issues were all with the airlines. We did Viking Air, and they did their best to reroute, reschedule, and found other airlines, but they had no control over the airline mess. Viking was not even able to reschedule us at one point because they airline cancelled our flight, but did not release us to be rescheduled. So we stood in a line with a zillion other people for hours to have the airline release us because Viking hands were tied until we were released. 

• Like 2

I did have to chuckle as while reading this I heard “ping”. An email from Viking of a flight itinerary change.  Five months out flight time changed from 11:50 to 11:20.  Not a big deal but it is the fifth change in six weeks.  

This is the airlines, not Viking,  There is a reason why we try to avoid air travel in the summer, over busy holidays and when storms historically occur.  Given the high passenger loads on aircraft these days, there isn’t much capacity when impacts to schedules occur.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gowilk said:

i’m recovering from a stroke sorry i’m not up to your level of comprehension.

Regardless of your health, it is still up to you to make sure that what you post makes sense to readers. As was pointed out, you will get more answers that way. For now, members are taking a look at the preview, seeing that the post has too many errors and are moving on to the next inquiry.

Please use spell check and ask someone to proofread and correct before you post and you will be more satisfied by the responses you get.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I did have to chuckle as while reading this I heard “ping”. An email from Viking of a flight itinerary change.  Five months out flight time changed from 11:50 to 11:20.  Not a big deal but it is the fifth change in six weeks.  

This is the airlines, not Viking,  There is a reason why we try to avoid air travel in the summer, over busy holidays and when storms historically occur.  Given the high passenger loads on aircraft these days, there isn’t much capacity when impacts to schedules occur.

Just this morning I received an email notice of a flight change for our trip in October. When I glanced at the attachment, I didn't notice any difference. When I went to MVJ I realized our seat assignments had been changed from aisle and middle to window and middle on all four flights! These had been set for months. I was able to fix them all, but what purpose does that serve? I can't imagine Viking Air did it, but I can't think of a reason the airlines would either.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

but what purpose does that serve?

They may have changed planes and the seat assignments get redone. I usually check off and on to make sure I have the same seats, but last year, my daughter and her family got split up because of the change of equipment and did not check it before the flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be aware that seat selection, equipment, etc. can change without notice.  We flew on Eurowings Discovery in June.  Couldn’t get seat assignments in advance. We were told that we could select seats when we checked in online 23 hours before the flight.  I did the online checkin and was assigned an aisle seat. My spouse had problems trying to do the online checkin. We called Eurowings and were told the everything was ok.  We were told that we were both in aisle seats across the aisle from each other. My TA was told the same thing.  When we got to the airport, those aisle seats became the middle of a row of 4.  Asked for a reassignment, told that nothing was available.  Don’t fly Eurowings.

14 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Just this morning I received an email notice of a flight change for our trip in October. When I glanced at the attachment, I didn't notice any difference. When I went to MVJ I realized our seat assignments had been changed from aisle and middle to window and middle on all four flights! These had been set for months. I was able to fix them all, but what purpose does that serve? I can't imagine Viking Air did it, but I can't think of a reason the airlines would either.

Airline changing the equipment to a plane that has a slightly different configuration will cause this.  And, this is all done automatically by the airline system.  No one is sitting there manually reassigning seats.

If you use SeatGuru, you will see often that the you are presented with the most common configuration that the airline may use depending on long haul vs. short haul, but often there is option for you to choose in the top right of the seat map to change to a 2nd or even a 3rd configuration.  Often if you look at the differences, you will see things like Premium Economy has a 2 / 3 / 2 configuration in one map and a 3 / 3 / 3 in the alternate.

• Like 1

To add irony to the situation, our flight this morning has been delayed but hopefully we will make our connection to Anchorage. Since it is for a pre-excursion, i am not that worried about it - but it is hard to make plans when the delays are for no obvious reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

If you use SeatGuru, you will see often that the you are presented with the most common configuration that the airline may use depending on long haul vs. short haul, but often there is option for you to choose in the top right of the seat map to change to a 2nd or even a 3rd configuration.  Often if you look at the differences, you will see things like Premium Economy has a 2 / 3 / 2 configuration in one map and a 3 / 3 / 3 in the alternate.

Is it safe to assume that the seat map used for my flights on MVJ (or British Airways) actually represents the plane on which we will fly? If I change my seat assignment in either place am I working in the real world?

1 minute ago, lackcreativity said:

Is it safe to assume that the seat map used for my flights on MVJ (or British Airways) actually represents the plane on which we will fly? If I change my seat assignment in either place am I working in the real world?

I would say YES

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 10:45 AM, gowilk said:

i’m recovering from a stroke sorry i’m not up to your level of comprehension.

Gowilk I am so sorry for your health challenges. I will take a stab at your post. Wishing you a full recovery. Please feel free to correct.

Where do I start? I fly to the cruise on American and return with United. The two airlines had at least 6 schedule changes in two months.  (I booked with Air Plus) Currently one of the flights is almost full and our seats have not been assigned. Frankly this is terrible and I will never book again with Viking Air.  Why have there been so many changes? Perhaps it is  better to book with the airline, pay for the ticket and be assigned a seat. 

Gowilk, I hope I captured your frustration. And yes, what you point out is one of the advantages of booking directly with the airlines. Although with many airlines you can choose a seat once you book with Viking Air Plus, the seat isn't guaranteed until you pay and the ticket is purchased by Viking. I typically handle the airlines myself unless we receive a price from Viking we can not resist. Once I book I monitor the flight weekly via the airlines' websites. 

• Like 5

I am an independent traveler and my preferred airline ( am a platinum member) just dropped a non-stop route to London.  I am now coming home from cruise from London via Salt Lake City.  I am challenged why Salt Lake has a NS to London and Seattle does not.  The airlines did a lot of schedule adjusting last year at this time.  If there is another change I will likely ask to be moved to the code share flight which is still NS.

I have one flight scheduled for the end of the month and am waiting for the shoe to drop on time changes

13 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I am an independent traveler and my preferred airline ( am a platinum member) just dropped a non-stop route to London.  I am now coming home from cruise from London via Salt Lake City.  I am challenged why Salt Lake has a NS to London and Seattle does not.  The airlines did a lot of schedule adjusting last year at this time.  If there is another change I will likely ask to be moved to the code share flight which is still NS.

I have one flight scheduled for the end of the month and am waiting for the shoe to drop on time changes

Several airlines fly nonstop from Seattle to London and return, including Virgin, Delta, Brit Air, and American.

I am very aware of this,  Delta code shares with Virgin, which would never be my first choice.  Virgin, I find very overrated and usually sub-standard in service.  I will give a little more time for this issue to settle down and check again closer to the new year.  I left BA when their prices and service did not keep up and switched to Delta.  

23 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Just this morning I received an email notice of a flight change for our trip in October. When I glanced at the attachment, I didn't notice any difference. When I went to MVJ I realized our seat assignments had been changed from aisle and middle to window and middle on all four flights!

I highly suggest that you NOT use MVJ as a reference source.  It is, at best, a delayed reflection of what the airline has in their system, and at worst, is merely indicative of placeholders in terms of flights and seats.

Go direct to the source and do your checking against what the airline's own website shows for your reservation.

You can thank me when the excrement meets the impeller.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

If you use SeatGuru,

Know that SeatGuru has pretty much gone to the dogs.  They are not updating seat maps, leaving up old configurations, and not responding to any reader input.  In effect,  abandoned by its owner, TripAdvisor.

The sad thing is that many websites still tout using it as a travel resource.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

I would say yes and no.  Yes to BA and no to MVJ.  Because one is the operating carrier and the other is merely reporting information from another source.

And note the proviso that the BA information is good as of today.  It is completely possible for there to be an equipment change, both for marketing and operational reasons.

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

Although with many airlines you can choose a seat once you book with Viking Air Plus, the seat isn't guaranteed until you pay and the ticket is purchased by Viking.

The seat is never guaranteed, even when booking/selecting direct from the airline.  It is merely an assignment, and is unlike when you buy a specific seat for a performance or sporting event.

Read the fine print.

I like to fly Premium Economy on UAL as it has many of the benefits of Business Class at a much lower cost.  Last week UAL shuffled their fall NY - LA schedule, downgrading a number of flights from 777 and 787's to 757's which eliminated the PE class.  I was booked on two of these flights and UAL downgraded me from PE to a standard seat.  As a big guy that doesn't work for me.  I am now gun shy about re-booking back into PE for fear they will change planes again.  Therefor paid almost double to move up to Business Class.  In the future will only consider PE for close- in bookings.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Know that SeatGuru has pretty much gone to the dogs.  They are not updating seat maps, leaving up old configurations, and not responding to any reader input.  In effect,  abandoned by its owner, TripAdvisor.

The sad thing is that many websites still tout using it as a travel resource.

This is correct, I would not trust Seat Guru. aerolopa is far more accurate and is one of the best free websites for aircraft seating