Question about gratuities

thosby

Seeking insight from seasoned Crystal or cruisers in similar all-inclusive programs, concerning cash tips.  Are cash tips considered passé or a faux pas when given in the here and now as a service is rendered?  Is such tipping common?

I have not given a tip at any time since Crystal went all inclusive.  What I have done since then (and assume I still can with New Crystal) is make a donation to the crew welfare fund which supports crew activities, crew emergencies and I'm sure other things to benefit the dedicated crew.

Roy

• Like 6

Gratuities are a personal choice.

They are not mentioned at all as they were in past years after inclusive was implemented.

If you want to give a cash tip, or if you want to charge gratuities to your shipboard account or if you would like to give to the crew welfare fund you can do one or more of these. 

In short, there is no pressure to give a gratuity to anyone (other than automatic gratuities are added for things like spa and salon treatments) but you can if you want.

This is one of these things that the only opinion that matters is your own.

Keith

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's a faux pas, and no, it's not common.  If there is someone who has fulfilled an extra special request, you can transfer some money from your on-board account to them electronically.  Good service is what they're paid to provide, not something you have to bribe them into providing. 

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yes, it's a faux pas, and no, it's not common.  If there is someone who has fulfilled an extra special request, you can transfer some money from your on-board account to them electronically.  Good service is what they're paid to provide, not something you have to bribe them into providing. 

I disagree it's a faux pas.  I don't know how common it is.  I agree with Keith that it's a personal decision, and nobody ever pressures you for a tip.  It's kind of ridiculous to call it a bribe.  Everyone I know gives the tips at the end of the trip, which wouldn't be a very effective bribe. 

• Like 2

In my opinion, it’s hardly a faux pas (an embarrassing or tactless act) to want to thank a hard working individual crew member with a gratuity…here’s my personal take: these wonderful crew members spend months away from their families working long hours to enhance our time on board and it gives me pleasure to thank them for their efforts…

To quote a frequent poster… “You do you; I’ll do moi”.

• Like 3

My personal choice: 

I ALWAYS give generous tips to my butler, cabin attendants and servers even if it is “all inclusive.” But it is not required and never asked for. 

I’m just so thankful I don’t have to sign a bar tab for every drink. 

And I’m thankful I can afford a lux cruise. 

And I totally understand there are new-to-Crystal cruisers here who have that question. 

Edited by Cruise-y
  • Like 1

We are grateful for the thoughts and observations offered in reply to our query.  We thus expect to use three arrows in our quiver for tipping purposes.  First are the included gratuities that are billed to our shipboard account for each segment.  Second are the opportunities to provide additional amounts, via the front desk and also billed to our account, to individuals we can identify who have consistently provided service over a given segment that warrants such a gesture.  Third are the many individual instances of service from people who, even if fleetingly engaged in one-off interactions, are deserving of our gratitude for making the Crystal experience so enjoyable and memorable.  (In our opinion, those many individuals and their exceptional service are very much at the heart of what makes Crystal the memorable experience that it is.)  In those many individual cases, we will consider that a cash gratuity, then and there, is an appropriate expression of our gratitude.  The responses here confirm that such cash tipping will not be misconstrued or considered in a bad light, which is reassuring, and we are grateful for that.

17 minutes ago, thosby said:

We are grateful for the thoughts and observations offered in reply to our query.  We thus expect to use three arrows in our quiver for tipping purposes.  First are the included gratuities that are billed to our shipboard account for each segment.  Second are the opportunities to provide additional amounts, via the front desk and also billed to our account, to individuals we can identify who have consistently provided service over a given segment that warrants such a gesture.  Third are the many individual instances of service from people who, even if fleetingly engaged in one-off interactions, are deserving of our gratitude for making the Crystal experience so enjoyable and memorable.  (In our opinion, those many individuals and their exceptional service are very much at the heart of what makes Crystal the memorable experience that it is.)  In those many individual cases, we will consider that a cash gratuity, then and there, is an appropriate expression of our gratitude.  The responses here confirm that such cash tipping will not be misconstrued or considered in a bad light, which is reassuring, and we are grateful for that.

When we use the word inclusive tips that just means that in the days where tips were not included there were recommended tips of a certain amount per diem for certain positions; senior waiter, waiter, stateroom attendant and butler if you had one.  Now that these are inclusive you don't see them on your account.

You can go to the front desk and as for one or more former that say supplemental gratuities and allows you to fill out the name of each person and the amount you wish to give them.  Whatever you fill in will show up on the statement for the cruise where the form is turn in for.  As in the past they will send up to your room a card showing the name of the person and the amount you are giving . You can get envelopes at the desk to put each card in if you would like to give them to each person but they will know about it when it shows up on their crew account which is called a folio.  Right now they can't print the cards but hopefully soon.  If you are on for more than one segment these and all other transactions carry from one segment to the next until you leave when you are billed.  If you are on for more than one segment my advice is to tip at the end of each segment because you can never be 100% sure when the person is leaving. JMO.

In the end, just do what you want to do and should you wish to fill out the supplemental gratuities card and/or give cash do just that and don't worry about what anyone else things. While I have no idea what percentage of people do this I can assure you that this is most appreciated by each member of the crew who received this and not looked at in any negative way by the person receiving it.

I never concern myself with what people do on this. It wouldn't affect what I do.  

Keith

• Like 2

6 hours ago, krb1000 said:

In my opinion, it’s hardly a faux pas (an embarrassing or tactless act) to want to thank a hard working individual crew member with a gratuity

I think it's tactless to hand them cash as a gift.  If you want to give them a gift, there's no reason to laud it over the other passengers or the other crew by handing them cash in public -- that's a selfish gesture intended to make the giver feel good by doing it in public, in my opinion.  Even those who think they are doing it discretely, they know that others will know about it, but they pretend it isn't their goal.

I have always tipped the crew by using a transfer from my on-board account to the Crew Fund.  I also feel that the entire crew, not just the ones I see in public, deserve a thank you for the excellent work they all did to make my voyage great. 

Most of our gratuities are given through the ship board account but for some people who we give cash to we do it very discreetly so the only one knows is who we give it to. I agree that is not always the case for some but just want to say it can easily be done discreetly.

Keith

I think the only really important rule is not to do what most fellow cruisers would object to, which is to hand out 'advance' tips to the likes of Maitre'ds on the first day to ensure getting favourite tables for dinner, etc.  It should not work, but sadly sometimes does.

• Like 1

Some of the above posts mention onboard account.  I want to emphasize that onboard credits cannot be used for tips any longer.  Many of us used to zero our OBC by donating to the crew welfare fund, and OC put a stop to that.  But tips can be paid by credit card at the Reception desk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I feel blessed to be able to show our appreciation for those special folks who go over board to make our journey a pleasure. Our Butler is very special to us and it is our way of thanking him for being the responsible and caring. Our housekeeping staff has been terrific and work very hard so they, too, deserve an extra thank you. We have never been on a cruise where we have not felt the need for giving a gratuity to those who are working hard at their job. Yes I know it is their but JOB but being charitable to others is our pleasure!! We are presently on the Crystal and enjoying being back.

• Like 4

It is a personal decision.  I find the staff to be excellent and often provide additional gratuities.  Providing a staff member an extra $50 or $100 is not going to be any skin off my back but I know it can beneficial to the family that person is supporting at home.   

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Good to know - it sounds like you can use your account, but only if it's from your credit card, and not from OBC. 

That is the way it was on the last voyages of OC.  Wouldn't it be nice if NC changed the protocol?  OC also had envelopes, if you preferred to use them for cash.  The envelopes could also be used to enclose a note about the tip, or a thank you card.  Lastly, Reception had a binder of staff photos with names - we found it useful.

Edited by crickette
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, crickette said:

That is the way it was on the last voyages of OC.  Wouldn't it be nice if NC changed the protocol?  OC also had envelopes, if you preferred to use them for cash.  The envelopes could also be used to enclose a note about the tip, or a thank you card.  Lastly, Reception had a binder of staff photos with names - we found it useful.

The reason OC changed the protocol (and NC likely won't change it back) is that much of the OBC you get "from your TA" is actually funded by the cruiseline. It is also the reason why you cannot "cash out"  unused OBC at the end of the cruise. The only exception to that is if your TA (or someone else) purchased your OBC from the cruiseline.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

The reason OC changed the protocol (and NC likely won't change it back) is that much of the OBC you get "from your TA" is actually funded by the cruiseline. It is also the reason why you cannot "cash out"  unused OBC at the end of the cruise. The only exception to that is if your TA (or someone else) purchased your OBC from the cruiseline.

Thanks Larry.  I knew that, but glad you posted for others on this thread.

We get substantial OBC from the consortium our TA's agency belongs to, and I believe these are also from Crystal, to the agency, and back through Crystal.  I fear the next thing this thread will reveal are rebates, and they are different again!

Rather than go into any personal detail regarding additional tipping onboard Crystal, I would like to mention one thing. During the 'great undoing' that was Old Crystal, many of the staff were assisted in actually getting home via the Crew Welfare Fund and the many generous donations made to it over the years.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1