Transatlantic Wifi

Our nephew and his SO are thinking of joining us on the Odyssey as it repositions from Rome to Bayonne in 2024.  She will have to work the second week of the crossing and is concerned about the wifi quality.  Can anyone share their experience with connectivity in the middle of the Atlantic?  Thanks!

Ships have Starlink now but not for long enough that anyone can really answer this question.

Starlink is changing every month.  More of the v2-mini satellites go up every month, coverage in middle of oceans gets better and better, gradually.  

So many dynamics in play for a very young satellite service that is barely 25% complete, if that.   By 2024?  It could be great or it could suck.  

• Like 2

I did the transatlantic on the odyssey in April Fort Lauderdale to Rome and had very good service the whole trip. No outages at all. Phone calls, streaming and face time it all worked and it was very fast. 

• Like 1

The TAs we’ve done there were areas in the Atlantic that had spotty wifi. On the Voyager Arctic TA last September on the way back to Boston, we had a couple of days with terrible service.  The only way I got any type of connection was in the promenade in one particular seat.

When at sea, everyone is using wifi, and that seems to slow it down. 

• Like 1

The odyssey is a new ship and starlink  is new technology. My experience on a transatlantic crossing 4 months ago the service service was strong the whole trip. Nothing spotty about my experience with my wifi service. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lbislander said:

She will have to work the second week of the crossing and is concerned about the wifi quality. 

If her job depends on it, tell her no. If she can live with some potential outages, tell her to go for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If her job depends on it, tell her no. If she can live with some potential outages, tell her to go for it.

This!    Did a TA this year with starlink.   It was spotty/slow at times and I’m glad I didn’t need it for work for real-time meetings etc.  At times email would choke on simple attachments as an example.  Simply tasks took much longer than they would have otherwise.    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lbislander said:

Our nephew and his SO are thinking of joining us on the Odyssey as it repositions from Rome to Bayonne in 2024.  She will have to work the second week of the crossing and is concerned about the wifi quality.  Can anyone share their experience with connectivity in the middle of the Atlantic?  Thanks!

It seems like this is the answer you're looking for. Same ship, almost the same route.

1 hour ago, SE fla said:

I did the transatlantic on the odyssey in April Fort Lauderdale to Rome and had very good service the whole trip. No outages at all. Phone calls, streaming and face time it all worked and it was very fast. 

• Like 1

Friends I had on board the transatlantic we all communicated with each other threw text messaging and phone calls. The internet on the odyssey was flawless on that transatlantic cruise. Anything can happen with technology. Even at home it doesn’t work, nothing is perfect.

I have been on many transatlantics and normal halfway you lose internet and tv for 2 to 3 days. This was the first crossing that I have been on that everything worked all the way over. 

Edited by SE fla
Spelling
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It seems like this is the answer you're looking for. Same ship, almost the same route.

It can vary based on many things

including cabin location.  So one experience can’t really be used to predict future experiences for others.  The best thing to do I assume there will be some slow times/spotty issues and plan accordingly for one’s job.  I’ve sailed a couple times since the Star link went in.  It is great for a ship, but in my experience  it isn’t anywhere near being like at home in terms of reliability.   Peak use time periods are going to slow it down on a ship.   Just a matter of when that happens and when you are trying to use it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topnole said:

It can vary based on many things

including cabin location.  So one experience can’t really be used to predict future experiences for others.  The best thing to do I assume there will be some slow times/spotty issues and plan accordingly for one’s job.  I’ve sailed a couple times since the Star link went in.  It is great for a ship, but in my experience  it isn’t anywhere near being like at home in terms of reliability.   Peak use time periods are going to slow it down on a ship.   Just a matter of when that happens and when you are trying to use it.  

+1 routing is not the same depending on weather! Also if you get a storm or myn clouds - internet is going to be a problem! Also if you need to work it is diffrent then sending a text message! Many people that rave about the internet - when you ask them what they did....all they did was sending emails or messages! Having to call and work is a totally different animal!

• Like 1