No Photo For Spouse

Tutone56

I'm checking in tomorrow (12:01am est) and won't have a photo of my spouse with white background, no glasses, etc.  I have one I was going to use that I know is not what they are looking for.  Should I just check in and skip the photo for now and add it within the next few days (if that's possible)?

We cannot finish our check in because we cannot post pictures.  So it looks like we will not get our e-docs or luggage tags.  What happens if we show up at the Baltimore terminal without tags and with no e-docs?

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

We cannot finish our check in because we cannot post pictures.  So it looks like we will not get our e-docs or luggage tags.  What happens if we show up at the Baltimore terminal without tags and with no e-docs?

Porters at the dock carry extra tags, and will affix them to your luggage. At check-in, show proof of your reservation number and personal identification (passport,etc.). I would also have a printout of all my payments up to that point ( cabin, port fees, insurance, discretionary service charge, taxes; add-ons such as specialty dining, drink package, pre-booked excursions, soda package, etc. Just in case.Happy Cruising!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

What I ended up doing was uploading a picture of my wife that I knew wasn’t going to work.  It said the picture wasn’t in the proper format so they would take a photo of her at the pier.  I could then finish the check in.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Tutone56 said:

I'm checking in tomorrow (12:01am est) and won't have a photo of my spouse with white background, no glasses, etc.  I have one I was going to use that I know is not what they are looking for.  Should I just check in and skip the photo for now and add it within the next few days (if that's possible)?

Can’t skip. Need to try and fail a couple of times. 

But,,, with months to prepare, why don’t you have multiple photos ready to go?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mugtech said:

You get tags from the porters and don't worry about the docs

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But,,, with months to prepare, why don’t you have multiple photos ready to go?  

We checked in last night for an NCL cruise and we DO have recent photos (submitted for a visa for Vietnam less than two weeks ago for a different cruise -- visas approved a few days after submission), and the NCL site would not take the photos!  No idea why not. Those existing photos should meet all the necessary requirements. So, we took new photos and my check-in went fine, but my husband had to try about six times before it accepted his photo.  And we are *very technical* people. We're the ones friends come to for help and we re-size their photos for uploading to sites. So, even with months to prepare, sometimes you can experience an issue for no apparent reason.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sunshine55 said:

If you upload pic several times, the system eventually lets you bypass..which happened with mine.  Spouse pic I sized pic to portrait size and it worked.  Both times it gave me 100% for docs.

Last night, we tried at least a dozen times and it would not bypass. I wish it had as we know they can take new ones at the pier.  We did eventually get photos of both of us accepted, but it wasn't easy.

• Like 1

So weird. We checked in and I literally uploaded random selfies of my kids and I that were on my phone. All but one was accepted, and that one had a notation we needed to do a retake there, and then we finished check in. I saw nothing about white backgrounds, etc lol. My youngest is eating ice cream in his pic. I fully expect they’ll want to retake them all 😆

• Haha 4

On 8/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, Tutone56 said:

What I ended up doing was uploading a picture of my wife that I knew wasn’t going to work.  It said the picture wasn’t in the proper format so they would take a photo of her at the pier.  I could then finish the check in.

That is exactly what happened with my DH's picture...after my two attempts it said photo will be taken at port and I was able to complete check-in...

• Like 2

I had the same problem last night. It accepted my picture but not my husband's. After several tries, I gave up, finished the check-in and told him he would need to get his picture taken at the port.

After I logged out of my NCL account, I decided to log into his account and try to upload his picture. It worked on the first try. Go figure.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, cruiserbear55 said:

Porters at the dock carry extra tags, and will affix them to your luggage. At check-in, show proof of your reservation number and personal identification (passport,etc.). I would also have a printout of all my payments up to that point ( cabin, port fees, insurance, discretionary service charge, taxes; add-ons such as specialty dining, drink package, pre-booked excursions, soda package, etc. Just in case.Happy Cruising!

Is insurance mandatory? If I am going to use my credit card insurance, what do I show?

7 minutes ago, darkhorizon said:

Is insurance mandatory? If I am going to use my credit card insurance, what do I show?

Insurance is voluntary, not mandatory. The reps at check-in will not ask you for proof of insurance.If, heaven forbid, you need to go to medical on the ship, they will charge your onboard account for the visit. You then submit the paper work to your insurance company/credit card company when you return home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davechipp74 said:

You could always take a photo that meets the requirements, and upload it.

^^^this. I simply chose from photos I already had on my computer and uploaded those. It's far easier to do that than hope NCL's system plays nice with your computer's camera. (Although in some cases I've had to edit/crop the photo I had to meet space restrictions)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darkhorizon said:

Insurance is not mandatory, totally your choice based on what risk you want to assume.

15 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

You could always take a photo that meets the requirements, and upload it.

13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

^^^this. I simply chose from photos I already had on my computer and uploaded those. It's far easier to do that than hope NCL's system plays nice with your computer's camera. (Although in some cases I've had to edit/crop the photo I had to meet space restrictions)

Or -- you could read the thread a bit more carefully and see that some of us have had electronic photos that meet the requirements and the NCL site simply would not accept them, and also it wouldn't let us bypass the step in spite of the fact that everyone knows they can re-take photos at the port if a photo turns out to be unacceptable. Sometimes, there's a technical glitch (or something) going on that simply defies logic and you have to work your way around it in spite of having prepared properly beforehand.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

Or -- you could read the thread a bit more carefully and see that some of us have had electronic photos that meet the requirements and the NCL site simply would not accept them, and also it wouldn't let us bypass the step in spite of the fact that everyone knows they can re-take photos at the port if a photo turns out to be unacceptable. Sometimes, there's a technical glitch (or something) going on that simply defies logic and you have to work your way around it in spite of having prepared properly beforehand.  

Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, I was just making a general comment about people using photos they've likely stored on their computers already vs trying to get a good copy at the last minute. I doubt I'm in the minority when I say most people have smartphones with cameras nowadays, so it's quite easy to take a photo, upload it to your computer and submit it to NCL. But  OTOH, no need to stress out since you can always wait until you go to check-in, I've seen people do that plenty of times at embarkation.

• Like 1

We always have a couple of photos uploaded and ready before starting the check-in process.  However, we have had a photo that worked for a cruise check-in just 5 weeks prior not be accepted😒.  

I'm glad to hear their system is now letting you move on after a few failed attempts.  Yes...they generally want to take a new photo at the pier anyway🙄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, I was just making a general comment about people using photos they've likely stored on their computers already vs trying to get a good copy at the last minute. I doubt I'm in the minority when I say most people have smartphones with cameras nowadays, so it's quite easy to take a photo, upload it to your computer and submit it to NCL. But  OTOH, no need to stress out since you can always wait until you go to check-in, I've seen people do that plenty of times at embarkation.

On our last cruise a couple was checking in next to us. The guy was complaining about many attempts it took to upload a photo of himself. The person checking them in brought up their account and busted out laughing. He couldn't get his photo to work but the screen grab of Bart Simpson work great LOL. Needless to say the took his photo

• Haha 7