LA to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal on the QE

Jack E Dawson

4 hours ago, NE John said:

Great review and thank you. Having been on both QM2 and QE, I agree with the differences of ships (in a good way). 
As for PG, don’t discount the PG experience on QM2. The Grills lounge and terrace may not be as sexy on QM2 but still a great retreat from the ship. There is also a separate Concierge lounge that has good WiFi and is a quiet place to chill with hot drinks and lite bites. Yes, some say soulless…but a nice touch. 

But most importantly, the PG suites on QM2 are wider with a huge walk-in closet with door, four separate wardrobes, a wider bathroom, and wider/deeper balcony. The PG dining is also first rate 90% of the time with lots of tableside preparations. I loved my PG experience on QM2 and you probably will too. 

John, 

Totally agree with you as our sailing followed your voyage and enjoyed the QM2 PG.

Agree about the Grill Lounge was commented by many but still enjoyed the quiet atmosphere later in the evening away from the crowds. But a challenge at Tea Time and prefer the Queens Room with it's fan fare feeling.

And the first time experience Concierge Lounge which we favored quite often. Great WiFi under that Router. And yes quiet treats, not many but enough to enjoy at the time. And yes our favorites, as if they were expected to be there for us. Not ever crowded and the Concierge always available for our needs. We couldn't thank her enough.

We agree PG cabin was a bump up from BC. Looking and researching PG, it was what I expected and very accommodating. Upgrade of items in PG from BC was appreciated. 

And need a lot of space to comment about our delightful experience in PG during our sailing. But appreciated the BC efforts almost equal in some parts.

Vote first for PG but BC not too far behind.

Good Sailing John....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

There is a recently posted review from someone who found it much less enjoyable, alas.

The one that complained about mismatched salt and pepper shakers?  I am shocked-- shocked, I tell you--at such a lowering of standards! That would certainly ruin my cruise. 🙄

@Jack E Dawson, I'm glad you had such an enjoyable cruise. QE is wonderful!

• Like 2

I echo others' comments. Great review and a very interesting read. Completely agree about the theatre in QE winning over that in QM2. Am hoping it will be similar on QV. Love those boxes and was disappointed to find they are not on QM2. 

• Like 1

Not a long winded review at all. Detailed and interesting, can't say fairer than that with regards to a review.

I have to disagree with one point though. As a UK resident, and one who now takes ages to recover from jet lag, and assuming  an East crossing would be at the end of a stay in the US, I would have to plump for flying in to the US and cruising home. The hours lost over the week are more than compensated by suffering no jet lag.

The theatre on QV mirrors QE as far as I recall.

• Like 3

Jack

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your journey. I have to agree what a wonderful voyage the Panama Canal transit is. It seems you could now be hooked on the Grill experience for the 2 smaller ships. There is no way QM2 compares here with the beautiful vistas from the QV/QE restaurants. Entirely understand your sentiments in this.

Thank you, kind Sir, for your reports on the voyage.  I was interested for two reasons.  First, the Panama Canal is on my bucket list.  And second, having done crossings on the QM2 I was dubious if the other Queens would measure up.  Those fears are now put to rest.

3 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

Thank you, kind Sir, for your reports on the voyage.  I was interested for two reasons.  First, the Panama Canal is on my bucket list.  And second, having done crossings on the QM2 I was dubious if the other Queens would measure up.  Those fears are now put to rest.

We have crossed the pond a couple of times on Victoria, NY to Southampton and FL to S'ton.

The Southern route [FL to S'ton in our case]  would be our choice [weather wise] if we do it again but both routes were fine.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sucramdi said:

Is this an annual itinerary? I don't see it for 2024, maybe it'll show up again when the 2025 sailings come out...

We have 'done' West Coast [LA and SF] , through the canal and back to S'ton as part of the World cruise.

Victoria is doing the reverse of our Southern route. i.e. S'ton through the canal to SF, via Bermuda and Aruba, FL and Port Canaveral  Jan'24 and a similar TA routing Mar'25 except the ship is approaching the canal; via S. America and on to the southern route to S'ton, , if that helps.

2 hours ago, sucramdi said:

Is this an annual itinerary? I don't see it for 2024, maybe it'll show up again when the 2025 sailings come out...

QE's 2024 schedule shows a longer Alaska season and then an earlier return to Australia, via San Francisco and Honolulu, rather than the Canal and Mediterranean voyages happening this year. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

On Tuesday August 22nd we will be boarding the QE to sail from Los Angles to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal, 14 nights. This will be our first time on the QE and our first time on any cruise other than QM2 crossings (3). Through an accepted upgrade bid we will be sailing PG, also a first. I will probably do little or no posting while on the cruise but will submit a review afterwards. I will be more than happy to try and answer any questions, take any pictures or do any research while onboard. Just let me know how I can help.

Thanks

Jack

Sorry to bring this wonderful thread up but I thought you and @sfred would be interested in a recently posted You Tube vlog of your voyage by a Scotsman named Fraser. You may need the Closed Caption on to understand his brogue (I did a bit…) but he did a nice job of both commentary and video. It’s great seeing a young guy who’s not used to dressing up on ships getting into the Cunard swing of things. Check it out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

I thought you and @sfred would be interested in a recently posted You Tube vlog of your voyage by a Scotsman named Fraser.

Thank you NE John. Fraser did a great job with his video and it was really interesting to see "our" cruise captured by a fellow traveler. Ironically, Dee and I were also on the Queen Mary the day before, as was Fraser, and think he may have obliged in taking a picture of us. Its a small world.

Thanks again.

Jack

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NE John said:

Sorry to bring this wonderful thread up but I thought you and @sfred would be interested in a recently posted You Tube vlog of your voyage by a Scotsman named Fraser.

Thanks @NE John.  Interesting video.  It's always fun to see additional different aspects of a trip to compare to your own experiences. 

One day I hope logistics will work out for us to stay a night on QM in Long Beach. 

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1