LA to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal on the QE

Jack E Dawson

On Tuesday August 22nd we will be boarding the QE to sail from Los Angles to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal, 14 nights. This will be our first time on the QE and our first time on any cruise other than QM2 crossings (3). Through an accepted upgrade bid we will be sailing PG, also a first. I will probably do little or no posting while on the cruise but will submit a review afterwards. I will be more than happy to try and answer any questions, take any pictures or do any research while onboard. Just let me know how I can help.

Thanks

Jack

• Like 10

We're boarding in San Fran for the same. I think you'll love QE. While not a liner, she is the epitome of class. We just disembarked her on the 7th of this month after Alaska and were thrilled to learn this voyage was still available. Though we've never experienced Grills, we can't wait to reboard her on Sunday! Safe travels!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

On Tuesday August 22nd we will be boarding the QE to sail from Los Angles to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal, 14 nights. This will be our first time on the QE and our first time on any cruise other than QM2 crossings (3). Through an accepted upgrade bid we will be sailing PG, also a first. I will probably do little or no posting while on the cruise but will submit a review afterwards. I will be more than happy to try and answer any questions, take any pictures or do any research while onboard. Just let me know how I can help.

Thanks

Jack

We're also aboard, from SF through to Barcelona.  Really excited!  Only a few days to go....

• Like 3

Jack E. Dawson,

Our first time aboard Queen Elizabeth was this June - also a first in PG for us.  After 12 nights, I disembarked with a huge grin on my face.  I found everything about the experience to be to my liking.  Now, two months later, I still smile remembering it all.

Wishing you a fun and fabulous time.  

Marion

• Like 3

I just read a post on the Oceania board about a huge backup, 150 ships, at the canal due to drought and lowering the water level. Rumor has it RCI and Princess are rerouting some of their ships. I have not confirmed any of this.

42 minutes ago, techteach said:

I just read a post on the Oceania board about a huge backup, 150 ships, at the canal due to drought and lowering the water level. 

Interesting, I would have thought they used ocean water.

Congratulations on the upgrade! The location of PG on the Vistas is so much nicer than on QM2. 

The first time I set foot on QE, something in me said "home." She pushed QM2 down a slot as my favorite ship. The layout of the Vistas is easier than QM2. No little sneaky hard-to-find hallways. I think the thermal suite is a lot nicer, too. 

Don't miss the display of Cunard memorabilia near the Queens Room. 

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

• Like 3

Have a fabulous time & I look forward to reading your review once you’re back. It’s always good to hear more from QE - I feel we hear a bit less of her than we do about the other ships in the Cunard fleet. As I’ve said before, she’s my favourite. If we send Queen Anne over the pond to you next year, will you send QE back the other way? 😃😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chryso said:

I would have thought they used ocean water

We did the canal transit in January. I wish I'd written down the exact number, but each of the "old" locks use millions of gallons of fresh water from Gatun lake for each ship. The "new" locks store and recycle their water, so are much more environmentally friendly.

• Like 4

I looked up how they recycle the water in a given lock. Essentially they store the water drained from the top of the lock when lowering the ship, and put it back into the middle of the lock when refilling it. Ditto for upper middle slice to the lower middle slice, and for the middle slice to the lower slice. About 60% of the working volume of the lock is stored and reused, all without any pumps.

• Like 1

The canal really is amazing, especially the water management. 

On one of my canal transits, I was on promenade deck watching the mules when a woman near me said, "It isn't very pretty, is it?" What was she expecting, the canals of Venice???? (I'm a tech geek, I think it's gorgeous!)

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

One of these years I would like to do a full transit sailing 

We did it along time ago on the QE2 from the West Coast to the Atlantic Side.

Got up around 530AM before going under the Bridge of the Americas on the West Side. Then transiting thru the Canal, the halfway point around 1PM. After transiting thru the complete Canal, we Anchored for the Fuel Barge while ate dinner around 630PM. We shielded ourselves under the Observation Deck from the Sun. 

It was very hot and they were serving water on the Promenade Deck so people wouldn't dehydrate. 

It was very interesting to experience and video tape it.

Pls attempt to book it and enjoy it.

Edited by BklynBoy8

On 8/15/2023 at 7:25 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks

Jack

It’s a wonderful cruise and an interesting experience for the technology of the locks. Spend your day moving around the ship to watch the transit from all angles. Wishing you fair seas and beautiful weather.

I would be grateful if someone on the Vancouver to San Francisco leg would post the dress code for those 3 nights. We’re doing it next year and I’m thinking I may need to buy a new formal. 😉 We’ve never been on the QE and this 3 day jaunt is in preparation for a Panama Canal trip or from San Francisco to Sydney. But, I have to get the DH to retire and I heard him tell someone today “4 or 5 years” Argh!!

Edited by techteach
Additional info
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, techteach said:

I would be grateful if someone on the Vancouver to San Francisco leg would post the dress code for those 3 nights. We’re doing it next year and I’m thinking I may need to buy a new formal. 😉 We’ve never been on the QE and this 3 day jaunt is in preparation for a Panama Canal trip or from San Francisco to Sydney. But, I have to get the DH to retire and I heard him tell someone today “4 or 5 years” Argh!!

Tell your DH I’m looking at three years to retirement so he and I are in the same boat. But…no more than three years!!