LA to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal on the QE

Jack E Dawson

Hard to believe it was almost 101 years ago that RMS LACONIA was the first Cunarder to transit the Panama Canal (29 November 1922) and then the largest ship yet to use the canal. Cunard paid a $13,237.50 toll. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bf7486cf6fa2aa82a5397b4e66d4ddee.jpeg

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, techteach said:

@NE John Oh, he could retire now, but feels duty bound to see through some really tough times. If we were in the Commodore Club we could share a great glass of wine and tell you the story. I think your story must be pretty interesting also.

I feel the same way. Duty bound. We’ll get that drink!

10 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

likely by starting the trip via Amtrak

We did the opposite. We sailed out of New York, ending in San Francisco, where we caught the California Zephyr home. There were at least two others on the train who had the same . It was a fabulous trip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Hard to believe it was almost 101 years ago that RMS LACONIA was the first Cunarder to transit the Panama Canal (29 November 1922) and then the largest ship yet to use the canal. Cunard paid a $13,237.50 toll. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bf7486cf6fa2aa82a5397b4e66d4ddee.jpeg

I think they told us on QE2 in 1990, it was around $100,000

On 8/17/2023 at 4:55 PM, TheOldBear said:

One of these years I would like to do a full transit sailing - likely by starting the trip via Amtrak to the west coast port [no flying 😉 ]

I'm doing the reverse (FLL - San Francisco) in January on QV, and quite looking forward to it! 

• Like 1

Friends of ours are onboard this trip (Princess Grill).  They've actually already been on it for a week or two (went up to Alaska and down), and are now taking it through the canal to Fort Lauderdale.

They've been having a blast.  If anyone onboard wants to stalk them and say hi for me, let me know, and I'll let you know how to find them (You'll wind up talking to the Mrs. for hours - so be warned!) 

😁

Edited by Rothko1
  • Haha 1

Had a great morning doing the Steam and Steel tour on Queen Mary. I can now confirm QM does not have her own bears, although she did in the past (thanks eBay). Now wondering why Cunard is not offering an excursion to see Mary? Seems like a missed opportunity. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fourmile.ranch said:

Had a great morning doing the Steam and Steel tour on Queen Mary. I can now confirm QM does not have her own bears, although she did in the past (thanks eBay). Now wondering why Cunard is not offering an excursion to see Mary? Seems like a missed opportunity. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cunard should open a 'logo store' onboard the Queen Mary - perhaps have the occasional 'pop up' event where QM guests can purchase a Cunard 'future cruise deposit'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

Cunard should open a 'logo store' onboard the Queen Mary - perhaps have the occasional 'pop up' event where QM guests can purchase a Cunard 'future cruise deposit'.

I think they did have a logo store a long time ago. it might have been in 1990, when we were in California before our first Panama Canal cruise (QE2).

10 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I think they did have a logo store a long time ago. it might have been in 1990, when we were in California before our first Panama Canal cruise (QE2).

And as we drift further off topic.....

There have been a number of operators for the QM since it was parked in Long Beach. My youtube feed included some by 'alex the historian' with some info on the City of Long Beach's current restoration efforts - a large part is undoing changes made by former operators. [carpets and flooring duplicating the originals, led lights with similar color temperature to the original incandescent lamps replacing green tinged fluorescent tubes ]

A recent video noted that Long Beach was looking to fill vacant retail spaces, including some spaces that were shops on QM as commissioned.

• Like 1

@TheOldBear The YouTube video I was referring to in post #38 is by Alex the historian. Given the importance it played in WWII I’m surprised it hasn’t received more support. The tour of the U.S.S Iowa is really nice. It would be nice if the 2 could be combined in some way. @fourmile.ranch How long did the tour take and how did you get to it from QE?

Enjoy meeting Mr. Brainwash and seeing his "art" installation he'll be creating on board with his spray paint cans. They heavily promoted him on the Van-LA leg, even the captain on his daily announcement. I had to look him up, and many claim he's a hoax invented by Banksy. Unfortunately, you get funnelled through the art gallery on deck 3 and can't escape his ugly art, like a graffitti artist imitating Warhol, most starting at $20k. I couldn't imagine a less-Cunardy artist or experience. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Enjoy meeting Mr. Brainwash and seeing his "art" installation he'll be creating on board with his spray paint cans. They heavily promoted him on the Van-LA leg, even the captain on his daily announcement. I had to look him up, and many claim he's a hoax invented by Banksy. Unfortunately, you get funnelled through the art gallery on deck 3 and can't escape his ugly art, like a graffitti artist imitating Warhol, most starting at $20k. I couldn't imagine a less-Cunardy artist or experience. 

Here's a link to a Cunard press release about Mr. Brainwash's mural unveiled yesterday on QE while in Los Angeles. It includes a small photo showing a portion of the work.

Making waves in the arts: Cunard partners with pop art phenomenon Mr. Brainwash for unique Queen Elizabeth mural

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rj59 said:

We all have different viewpoints on 'what is art' and I think some of his artwork extremely clever.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

"Katie McAlister, President of Cunard...."

Who's she??? So the Aussie bloke lasted about eight months??

Art might last forever (although in this case one might wish not), but Cunard "presidents" have the careers of whole milk in August. 

'The Aussie bloke' was named President of Carnival UK but also interim President of Cunard whilst recruitment was ongoing.

Not too shabby for 'An Aussie bloke'.

I skimmed over the OP and didn't notice that this was happening this week. A canal transit is always a great trip but this one will also be very warm!
Hopefully the ship will be able to make the transit on schedule. I believe passenger vessels can reserve a transit time and have priority, while cargo ships must queue. Capacity is down due to low rainfall in the area of Gatun Lake.

Edited by Underwatr

On 8/23/2023 at 6:51 AM, techteach said:

@TheOldBear The YouTube video I was referring to in post #38 is by Alex the historian. Given the importance it played in WWII I’m surprised it hasn’t received more support. The tour of the U.S.S Iowa is really nice. It would be nice if the 2 could be combined in some way. @fourmile.ranch How long did the tour take and how did you get to it from QE?

Edited by fourmile.ranch
@techteach Cunard shuttle took us to the aquarium which was a 7 min Lyft ride to Mary. Four tours (Glory Days, Steam & Steel, Haunted and Paranormal), all $25 and each lasted an hour.

@fourmile.ranch Thanks for the QM tour information. I guess I’ve seen the paranormal on YouTube and decided it wasn’t for me. Was there a place on QM to leave luggage? We embark at San Pedro around 1:00 - 2:00. Staying in Marina del Ray. In any case, thanks for the information and endorsement of the tour. Have Fun!