Jump to content

Restaurants


Waltershipman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Everything I’ve seen so far from previous posts from the restaurant’s menus, photos and overall experience apart from the limitation of reservations for Sakura and Marble seem to meet my expectations. But being a wine aficionado, I’m thinking of checking-in another piece of luggage to bring wines onboard for my November sailing unless something changes, what I’ve seen so far from the included wines and even the for +$ wine list is underwhelming. Hoping any other wines lovers out there will share their view or experiences. Anyone did Anthology with wine pairing list maybe? Cheers!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Any info on menu choices and restaurant experience would be great. I have seen some but not much about Mediterranean Yacht Club food and dining

 

I suspect once on East Coast of USA more local lobster may appear

 

Thank you 

I’m interested about there too. I’ve seen one menu but I’m curious is that a fixed menu for every cruise or are there variations or additional specials each day. From what I’m seeing the food is lovely but there are a lot of dishes containing nuts, spinach or polenta three things DH is allergic to. I know he can order ahead if need be but when on a cruise he absolutely craves for a normal experience of choosing when he’s ready to eat which he does achieve on some lines.
We can see a few dishes that will work from the menu we’ve seen but as we are on for 20 days we were hoping we could use Fil Rouge/Yacht Club a lot as we are not buffet people. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I’m interested about there too. I’ve seen one menu but I’m curious is that a fixed menu for every cruise or are there variations or additional specials each day. From what I’m seeing the food is lovely but there are a lot of dishes containing nuts, spinach or polenta three things DH is allergic to. I know he can order ahead if need be but when on a cruise he absolutely craves for a normal experience of choosing when he’s ready to eat which he does achieve on some lines.
We can see a few dishes that will work from the menu we’ve seen but as we are on for 20 days we were hoping we could use Fil Rouge/Yacht Club a lot as we are not buffet people. 

I have the wine list what is extremely expensive  but I only can publish after my cruise 

Esp the Champagnes are imho very expensive  ( what is not the case on MSC in YC )  very strange 

also there are no special Champagnes - ex a rosé - by the glass. 

I am taking 3 bottles from my cellar and will buy another 2 in Hamburg and maybe another 2 in Southampton. 😝

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I have the wine list what is extremely expensive  but I only can publish after my cruise 

Esp the Champagnes are imho very expensive  ( what is not the case on MSC in YC )  very strange 

also there are no special Champagnes - ex a rosé - by the glass. 

I am taking 3 bottles from my cellar and will buy another 2 in Hamburg and maybe another 2 in Southampton. 😝

Look forward to hearing about the food

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I’m interested about there too. I’ve seen one menu but I’m curious is that a fixed menu for every cruise or are there variations or additional specials each day. From what I’m seeing the food is lovely but there are a lot of dishes containing nuts, spinach or polenta three things DH is allergic to. I know he can order ahead if need be but when on a cruise he absolutely craves for a normal experience of choosing when he’s ready to eat which he does achieve on some lines.
We can see a few dishes that will work from the menu we’ve seen but as we are on for 20 days we were hoping we could use Fil Rouge/Yacht Club a lot as we are not buffet people. 

Those with registered food allergies receive the relevant day’s menus the evening before and are asked to indicate their choices and hand the menu in by 10am the next morning. If you have a restaurant reservation, that is the menu you receive. Otherwise you get both Med Yacht and Fil Rouge. I did encounter a hiccup yesterday when I pre ordered for Med but then couldn’t get in. 
 

As to MarketPlace, calling it a buffet doesn’t do it justice. It’s a series of cooked to order stations plus many composed cold items pre-bowled. Others are assembled such as a green salad as you order. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @TER777  His allergies have been registered.  I know he will not pre order if he can manage to choose around without adaptations.  It would worry us if we pre order and then could not get in that place.  I understand what you say about the Marketplace, we would have to see whether it worked for us onboard.  From what I am hearing, we would still have to go up to the stations to order and it is this jumping up and down which is not something we would want to do more than on say 2-3 evenings across our two cruises.  I would hope that we could always get into a venue other than the MarketPlace every evening

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Those with registered food allergies receive the relevant day’s menus the evening before and are asked to indicate their choices and hand the menu in by 10am the next morning. If you have a restaurant reservation, that is the menu you receive. Otherwise you get both Med Yacht and Fil Rouge. I did encounter a hiccup yesterday when I pre ordered for Med but then couldn’t get in. 
 

As to MarketPlace, calling it a buffet doesn’t do it justice. It’s a series of cooked to order stations plus many composed cold items pre-bowled. Others are assembled such as a green salad as you order. 

Many thanks to what seems the most accurate Explora's dining experience out there!... I'm sort of "dating" one of their "short-haul" Summer 2024 or 2025 cruises here in the Iberian peninsular, just some 4-6 nights... My main concern would be lots of shellfish (prawns, lobster, oysters, etc.) that are usual on those 5*+ venues to which I'm allergic to. Maybe if a veggie starter and a meat main is available that's what I'd stick to, but considering it is just a short haul, I may to end up eating mostly on the Marketplace. If they have some lovely options out of shellfish, I'd to be a happy camper there!... Can you elaborate a little bit more on the Marketplace options, please?

 

TBHH; I'm reaching a time on my life when those 2 and a half hour "formal" dinners don't interest me anymore, pan-Asian is not my cup of tea, and I have all sorts of steakhouses at bearable distance from home, so definitely no specialties for me. It would to be just the opportunity to feel the true luxury side of the cruise pond at relatively "affordable" fares, considering I'd vastly traveled the area and I just to need a flight once I can embark or debark here in Lisbon near where I live.

Edited by Nunagoras
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Many thanks to what seems the most accurate Explora's dining experience out there!... I'm sort of "dating" one of their "short-haul" Summer 2024 or 2025 cruises here in the Iberian peninsular, just some 4-6 nights... My main concern would be lots of shellfish (prawns, lobster, oysters, etc.) that are usual on those 5*+ venues to which I'm allergic to. Maybe if a veggie starter and a meat main is available that's what I'd stick to, but considering it is just a short haul, I may to end up eating mostly on the Marketplace. If they have some lovely options out of shellfish, I'd to be a happy camper there!... Can you elaborate a little bit more on the Marketplace options, please?

 

TBHH; I'm reaching a time on my life when those 2 and a half hour "formal" dinners don't interest me anymore, pan-Asian is not my cup of tea, and I have all sorts of steakhouses at bearable distance from home, so definitely no specialties for me. It would to be just the opportunity to feel the true luxury side of the cruise pond at relatively "affordable" fares, considering I'd vastly traveled the area and I just to need a flight once I can embark or debark here in Lisbon near where I live.

No worries. Lots of meat and poultry available as well as fish. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came across these menus for Sakura that might get the taste buds tingling 

 

@TER777 - you know I’m going to ask for your thoughts vis a vis Umi Uma by Nobu on our favourite line (I’m not expecting them to be like for like of course) 

 

IMG_0646.thumb.jpeg.927d0fff5bbe9f0d04308580a2ead62e.jpeg
 

IMG_0647.thumb.jpeg.88247958d520b12044da4abb6ef66a90.jpeg

 

IMG_0648.thumb.jpeg.150a8d1249b0157a94116f3a2999d268.jpeg

 

IMG_0649.thumb.jpeg.3d0a6a9d688fc190b6adb4faed725ad0.jpeg

 

IMG_0650.thumb.jpeg.d3adabf8d0b8265d817f2b207e092f30.jpeg

 

EXI_SAKURA_Dinner_Menu.pdf
 

EXI_SAKURA_Dinner_Menu 2.pdf

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, vistaman said:

I have the wine list what is extremely expensive  but I only can publish after my cruise 


Why is that? If your not sure how to upload photos to the forum let me know and I’m happy to help facilitate that

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 8:52 PM, Stickman1990 said:

I came across these menus for Sakura that might get the taste buds tingling 

 

@TER777 - you know I’m going to ask for your thoughts vis a vis Umi Uma by Nobu on our favourite line (I’m not expecting them to be like for like of course) 

 

IMG_0646.thumb.jpeg.927d0fff5bbe9f0d04308580a2ead62e.jpeg
 

IMG_0647.thumb.jpeg.88247958d520b12044da4abb6ef66a90.jpeg

 

IMG_0648.thumb.jpeg.150a8d1249b0157a94116f3a2999d268.jpeg

 

IMG_0649.thumb.jpeg.3d0a6a9d688fc190b6adb4faed725ad0.jpeg

 

IMG_0650.thumb.jpeg.d3adabf8d0b8265d817f2b207e092f30.jpeg

 

EXI_SAKURA_Dinner_Menu.pdf 1.44 MB · 14 downloads
 

EXI_SAKURA_Dinner_Menu 2.pdf 1.44 MB · 10 downloads

Sakura is very different in the offerings to Umi Uma as far as I can see. I have no problem with that. 
Ivi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2023 at 9:38 PM, Stickman1990 said:

I came across this video posted in the last couple of days on You Tube which includes an interview with the Head Chef which is very interesting - he covers off the approach and each of the dining venues 

 

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2023 at 3:15 AM, Stickman1990 said:


Why is that? If your not sure how to upload photos to the forum let me know and I’m happy to help facilitate that

a promise to the representative will leave 2nd sep cruise not ok my worsest in years and 5 fig fare

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I hear from friends onboard at the moment that USDA certified steaks are being served in Marble now (as opposed to European sourced) - it seems they’ve relented and made the change given she’ll be in or near the US for the next few months

 

They're dining there tonight so it will be interesting how they find the steak and just what has changed on the menu

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I hear from friends onboard at the moment that USDA certified steaks are being served in Marble now (as opposed to European sourced) - it seems they’ve relented and made the change given she’ll be in or near the US for the next few months

 

They're dining there tonight so it will be interesting how they find the steak and just what has changed on the menu

It would be good to know if that means Select, Choice or Prime...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I hear from friends onboard at the moment that USDA certified steaks are being served in Marble now (as opposed to European sourced) - it seems they’ve relented and made the change given she’ll be in or near the US for the next few months

 

They're dining there tonight so it will be interesting how they find the steak and just what has changed on the menu

I loved the lanb chop in Sakura

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:


I am told they’re Prime - I’ll get a copy of the new menu later today


Here you go - the new steak menu

 

IMG_0862.thumb.jpeg.5502ffafb1ce2465200c5c39b0ca61a8.jpeg

 

 

800gm Porterhouse 

 

IMG_0863.thumb.jpeg.228c3c31751e0e4899df11f29a8a4169.jpeg
 

 

and yes Walter my wife loved the Sakura New Zealand Lamb chops - in fact she liked all of the lamb chops around the ship except the French ones at Marble which needed a little more cooking to render the fat off (which they didn’t do when she had them) - but they weren’t as tender as the others 

 

Can’t beat the presentation of those Sakura chops 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...