Ruby Princess - Assistance off of the Oregon Coast - August 16, 2023?

Smokeyham

A friend lives on the Southern Oregon Coast and was monitoring marine radio traffic when she heard traffic from the Ruby Princess.  She could only hear their side of the conversation but it sounded like the ship was receiving some sort of assistance.  Does anyone know what may have happened?

Edited by Smokeyham

34 minutes ago, milolii said:

Someone on another social media site posted pics and a brief video of a Medical evacuation chopper. 

We are currently onboard the Ruby.  Thank goodness the passenger that encountering the medical emergency was evacuated safely.  It’s nobody’s business what the medical emergency was and shameful anybody would film it.  
Let’s  give some people some privacy and be thankful it wasn’t one of your loved ones.  If you believe, just say a prayer that the passenger is ok.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We are currently onboard the Ruby.  Thank goodness the passenger that encountering the medical emergency was evacuated safely.  It’s nobody’s business what the medical emergency was and shameful anybody would film it.  
Let’s  give some people some privacy and be thankful it wasn’t one of your loved ones.  If you believe, just say a prayer that the passenger is ok.  

Was the person's face uploaded or something? I would take photos, too, if a helicopter landed on my ship.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Folks nowadays seem to have little empathy when it comes to such events. It's just the post that matters. They should pray that they don't find themselves the subject of such a video...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Was the person's face uploaded or something? I would take photos, too, if a helicopter landed on my ship.

Coast guard does not 'land' on the ships but does hover and long line the passenger. Flash from photos could interfere with the pilot 

Some cabins on higher decks will need to evacuate there cabins and all patio furniture brought inside the cabin for safety reasons 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Serious Cruisers said:

Coast guard does not 'land' on the ships but does hover and long line the passenger. Flash from photos could interfere with the pilot 

Some cabins on higher decks will need to evacuate there cabins and all patio furniture brought inside the cabin for safety reasons 

Yes, they prohibited entry into the balcony cabins on the port side of the ship until the evacuation was complete.  
Someone else’s medical condition is just nobody else’s business!  Period!  
Beyond just hoping the fellow passenger is ok and survives, please don’t care what i4 is about!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have seen these reports before (medical evac by helicopter).  I don't understand why noses are out of joint if someone reported a helicopter evac or took a photo of a hovering helicopter and a rescue coast guard person.  It is not invading anyone's privacy if there is no guest or crew member shown.  Now, I don't really care about knowing it happened one way or the other as these evac's do occur from time to time.  But, I'd hardly call it invading someone's privacy presuming there is no information as to the patient's identity.

PS - I realize the OP was making additional inquiry and understand reaction to that.  And to extend benefit of doubt, the OP may have been thinking of some sort of operational accident since the information they had was inconclusive from the friend as to the nature of the assistance.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

I’m with Steeler36 on this.   As long as no information is given or filmed of the distressed individual. Filming such an operation demonstrates to those that have never seen such activities the dedication,   bravery and incredible skill of the aircrew involved.  They are all to be recognized for the incredible service they provide to anyone, anywhere, anytime and photos/film help in that regard.  They are rightfully proud of their achievements.  I do not know how many Coast Guard aircrew “Serious Cruisers” has met and questioned as to their thoughts on pictures taken during an operation.  I have met many, career related, and can state that most crew bases have photos of their missions proudly displayed on lockers and bulletin boards all sent in by “looky loos”’

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, they prohibited entry into the balcony cabins on the port side of the ship until the evacuation was complete.  
Someone else’s medical condition is just nobody else’s business!  Period!  
Beyond just hoping the fellow passenger is ok and survives, please don’t care what i4 is about!  

Exactly!  . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, yyjguy said:

I’m with Steeler36 on this.   As long as no information is given or filmed of the distressed individual. Filming such an operation demonstrates to those that have never seen such activities the dedication,   bravery and incredible skill of the aircrew involved.  They are all to be recognized for the incredible service they provide to anyone, anywhere, anytime and photos/film help in that regard.  They are rightfully proud of their achievements.  I do not know how many Coast Guard aircrew “Serious Cruisers” has met and questioned as to their thoughts on pictures taken during an operation.  I have met many, career related, and can state that most crew bases have photos of their missions proudly displayed on lockers and bulletin boards all sent in by “looky loos”’

Anyone taking videos or photos is going against a direct order from the Captain. Seriously?  Yes the pilots are heros but they really don’t depend on CC or FB for validation of their work

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't understand why noses are out of joint if someone reported a helicopter evac or took a photo of a hovering helicopter and a rescue coast guard person.  It is not invading anyone's privacy if there is no guest or crew member shown. 

4 hours ago, yyjguy said:

I’m with Steeler36 on this.   As long as no information is given or filmed of the distressed individual. 

I'm not a fan of being around such tragedies.  I figure unless I'm assisting or otherwise personally involved, I want to get as far away from it as I can.  I put it in the same category as accidents or people pulled over by the side of the road, rightly or wrongly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm not a fan of being around such tragedies.  I figure unless I'm assisting or otherwise personally involved, I want to get as far away from it as I can.  I put it in the same category as accidents or people pulled over by the side of the road, rightly or wrongly.

The press will always report and have photos and videos of major accidents and aftermath of terrible weather events.  We all see this stuff, but I don't keep them in an album or anything.  I get the sentiment for the guest needing the airlift and hope they are fine, but I thought there seemed to be an over-reaction to interest in a helicopter hovering over the ship.  I wouldn't want to be the first responders in a bad situation - it must be a gut-wrenching job at times.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I agree about privacy. I authorized payment(if one was required) for members with these types of emergency “care away from home” while I was employed at the Bay Area’s largest HMO.  The video posted was of the chopper, neither a rescuer or a patient was filmed or photographed.  My post stated, “pics of a  Medical  evaluation chopper”. 

My first concern when I read the OP’s comment was something had happened to the Ruby, given the issues at the port in San Francisco a few months ago.  Thank goodness the patient was safely evacuated and receiving the care they need. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, yyjguy said:

Just my husband and his crew is how many I have met

I'm with Cruise Raider on this one.  And honestly, what is anyone going to do with the video and pictures they take of a person being evacuated?   Take it home and show all their friends and family?  Really?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Anyone taking videos or photos is going against a direct order from the Captain. Seriously?  Yes the pilots are heros but they really don’t depend on CC or FB for validation of their work

Did I miss a post that said there was an order from the captain not to take videos or photos?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Ever try to take a picture on a military base.  ?  The captain is the final word on any ship

5 hours ago, TM said:

I'm with Cruise Raider on this one.  And honestly, what is anyone going to do with the video and pictures they take of a person being evacuated?   Take it home and show all their friends and family?  Really?

I was in the Airforce also trained Flight Safety Officer. I took several videos of these rescues around the world. I used them to look at the technique used and to pass on the Pilots where I lived so we they are doing different and why they do it that way. It is used as a teaching tool.
It further shows that you are in good hands if you ever need that service.
That  is what I do with the video.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, memoak said:

Ever try to take a picture on a military base.  ?  The captain is the final word on any ship

Where did the captain say nobody could take photos?

Also, please educate us on what happens if you take a photo on a military base.

Edited by Mike07

We were  onboard the Emerald Princess this past May when the ship diverted toward the coast to meet up with a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter inbound from San Diego. The Captain made announcements to keep everyone updated and informed. These announcements included staying away from certain decks and stateroom balconies. He also advised that any sort of photography was not allowed.

The Coast Guard personnel effected a perfect medical evacuation, as demonstrated by body cam footage which THEY released to the public. The footage demonstrates their skill, bravery, and tender patient care. The patients face was blurred and their privacy was protected. It is entirely possible that a release was signed, but that is speculation on my part.  If the Coast Guard can press release video documentation of their work, including images of those involved, then the hand-wringers should take it up with them.

Bravery in action:

https://www.news.uscg.mil/Press-Releases/Article/3408757/a-coast-guard-helicopter-aircrew-medically-evacuates-a-3-year-old-passenger-off/

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Where did the captain say nobody could take photos?

Also, please educate us on what happens if you take a photo on a military base.

I’m onboard right now.  While the captain did announce no flash photography was allowed, he didn’t forbid photography.  However, nobody on the port side was allowed in their cabins, the entire pool deck, including the buffet was closed and nobody was allowed up on the open decks.  I can’t imagine how someone that was not defying the captain’s orders got a video of the evacuation.  Perhaps they did it through a window on one of the lower decks.  

Just of note, it was passengers on one cruise coming in to San Francisco a number of years ago that prompted these rather strict rules.  The captain kept ordering people off their balconies and they wouldn’t comply.  When it also happened last year on the Ruby, I noticed that the captain wouldn’t allow anyone on the entire side of the ship to be used for the e actuation to meet up in Club Fusion.  I don’t think they were allowed back into their cabins until the wee hours of the morning.  
If the procedures are delayed because of the lookie loos, it puts the passenger and the rescue team at greater risk.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also onboard Ruby Princess. It was just announced that we are now diverting to Ketchikan for a second medical evacuation expecting to be there tomorrow morning, then will skip Juneau and pick up our schedule in Skagway on Saturday.