How do you rate MDR menu these days?

thefog

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

You haven’t heard that Bliss Cruises (and no telling who else) charters Royal for clothing optional cruises? My guess is that’s the same thing as upside down pineapple cruises. 

I may have.  But, they are of no interest to me.

Edited in:  "Clothing Optional" is a whole lot different than the Pineapple crowd stuff.  I'm not a total prud.  It's just that my wife and I are attached at the hip and best of friends.  Been Married 50 years this coming February.  I don't want her or me anywhere close to such activities.  I cus like a sailor and tell dirty jokes all the time.  But, some things are just a little off-limits for us.   

Edited by Ret MP

Just now, Ret MP said:

I may have.  But, they are of no interest to me.

Edited in:  "Clothing Optional" is a whole lot different than the Pineapple crowd stuff.  I'm not a total prud.  It's just that my wife and I are attached at the hip and best of friends.  Been Married 50 years this coming February.  I don't want her or me anywhere close to such activities.  I cus like a sailor and tell dirty jokes all the time.  But, some things are just a little off-limits for us.   

I googled and it said Bliss also has swingers cruisers. I was just commenting because you said “But, I just can't even see myself or my wife being associated with a business or other activity that promotes such things.” 
Apparently, Royal also does this sort of business when it charters out to other companies. It’s not just VV. I don’t care what Royal does with such cruisers as long as I’m not expected to participate and I don’t have to see it. Have you ever seen an upside down pineapple on a door before? It probably happens on all cruises, we just don’t know about it. To each their own. 

Wow, this got derailed. Back to the MDR food. 
The menu is lacking. The choices are so much more limited and the cuts of meat mostly subpar. IIRC Royal said it was to speed up the service. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 That’s a joke. It hasn’t done anything for service. It’s all about pinching pennies out of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The menu is horrible and the food on the menu is horrible. The pizza is horrible and the weak selection in the promenade cafe is horrible. I literally have been eating in the buffet more frequently. This is something I said I would never do because it is horrible as well. 

• Like 6

We're C&A diamond and just got off the Odyssey after 7 years of a cruising hiatus. We never ate in the MDR, but based on comments of our fellow cruisers who did dine there, it was not a positive experience. We had most breakfasts at Coastal Kitchen, which was great, and dinners at either Windjammer (grazing style) or one of the up-charge places (Chops, the Japanese grill place, sushi place, chefs table, solarium bistro). I agree with above poster birdofsong that anything of beef was 3/10...the 'steak' was a true mystery meat. I'm not a picky eater but the food generally was just okay, even the up-charge venues. The downgrade in the quality of food will probably mean cruising is off our list in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just off Liberty, the food and especially the service in the main dining room was very good. There were always enough choices on the menu that I could find something I liked. Granted,some of the dishes were better than others but it was all very good. Some members of our party are very particular foodies and they were happy with the food. The waiters were asking us with each course if we like the food and they would be happy to get us something else if we liked. Also the timing of the food was very good.

sorry,no complaints:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, markpark said:

One more comment:  The best food item I ate during out time on Voyager of the Seas was the Roasted Atlantic Cod on the lunch menu.  I only saw it one day.  I think it was Day 2.

That you found a specific description was unique. Almost all of my non-mdr menus just listed "fish" with no other descriptors but the type of seasoning. The type of fish was very flaky, light, and easily destroyed with a light touch of the fork.  I could make anything "fish" I wanted with some flavorings or batter coat. My problem would have been trying to keep them in one piece before serving and have some density about them. I could not be a RCI cook right now being provided a raw material to taste better than what they do. I do not blame the cooks or the preparers, they cannot "make a sow's ear into silk."

I found no descriptions that said cod, halibut, salmon, sole, or tuna on any cooked fish during my last cruise as I was looking for specifics.

Thank you for posting.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rolloman said:

The menu is horrible and the food on the menu is horrible. The pizza is horrible and the weak selection in the promenade cafe is horrible. I literally have been eating in the buffet more frequently. This is something I said I would never do because it is horrible as well. 

Ease up and take a breathe. I do partake in a piece of pizza once or twice during the cruise and it is not gourmet but is a nice "snackeral."

The food is not comparable to the times of 2018.

I want it to be better. I will do my best to review MDR in November this year exclusively on a nine day cruise.

Just saying the food is horrible does nothing to describe why it is horrible or good.

Take some pictures of the presentation, describe what you think are the shortcomings or good things about it and enjoy your cruise.

Despite my criticisms or accolades, I always seem to put on at least one or two pounds of personal body weight per cruise.

🤣

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Ease up and take a breathe. I do partake in a piece of pizza once or twice during the cruise and it is not gourmet but is a nice "snackeral."

I want it to be better. I will do my best to review MDR in November this year exclusively on a nine day cruise.

Just saying the food is horrible does nothing to describe why it is horrible or good.

Take some pictures of the presentation, describe what you think are the shortcomings or good things about it and enjoy your cruise.

Despite my criticisms or accolades, I always seem to put on at least one or two pounds of personal body weight per cruise.

🤣

I am confident our food onboard ship in the Navy was better and by the way I was a snipe as well.

Not sure how long you have been cruising but in the 90's, 2000's up to around 2015 I never had a bad meal onboard a cruise ship. With the variety, service back then if you walked away and said it was horrible chances are you are a hard to please individual. Fast forward to today. It is a condensed, boring flavorless menu with small portions and the service is non-existent because the staff has way too much to do. I don't need to waste time with specifics because anyone with a cruising history knows what I just stated is dead on.

I have said this before, and I will say it again...we are being groomed for the removal of the main dining room. In the near future, you will pay for specialty, or you will go to the buffet. The main dining room removal will create more space for specialty dining venues. We can only blame ourselves from years ago when everyone fell for the nominal charge for specialty dining. Ten to 15 bucks, tip included.  Now look what happened! For example, what is Chops now? I believe 70+bucks each?...ridiculous and the food in there has actually has gone downhill.

Sure, you will still hear a few say "we had a great time, no complaints with the food". These are the folks who have a limited cruising history or people who will eat anything. I have family who love baloney sandwiches. Sorry, I am not too keen on paying resort prices for low grade food and rushed service and neither should you. The cruise experience has been tainted. 

Oh and you gain two pounds each cruise because of the sodium level in the food and water. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

I am confident our food onboard ship in the Navy was better and by the way I was a snipe as well.

Not sure how long you have been cruising but in the 90's, 2000's up to around 2015 I never had a bad meal onboard a cruise ship. With the variety, service back then if you walked away and said it was horrible chances are you are a hard to please individual. Fast forward to today. It is a condensed, boring flavorless menu with small portions and the service is non-existent because the staff has way too much to do. I don't need to waste time with specifics because anyone with a cruising history knows what I just stated is dead on.

I have said this before, and I will say it again...we are being groomed for the removal of the main dining room. In the near future, you will pay for specialty, or you will go to the buffet.

For example, what is Chops now? I believe 70+bucks each?...ridiculous and the food in there has actually has gone downhill.

So what exactly is the root cause for such a decline in food quality?  

Corollary question, why do hotels charge the same or higher rates and don’t provide daily room service?

I think the fall-back answer has been the same for everyone since the restart, ..... Post Covid, we just can’t hire enough people...... 

Is it really they can’t hire enough or DON’T want to????

I have a feeling in the 90’s, and all the way up to Covid shutdown the number of kitchen personnel per passenger was higher.  I have NO actual proof of this.  Preparing quality en mass meals is labor intensive.  But if they condense the menu, create short cuts in mass preparation, one can supply the number needed, unfortunately quality is sacrificed.  

My pure quess is, they cut the numbers in the kitchen per capita.  I mean, the cutting in half the number of times the room steward services a room, means they have to carry far less room stewards.  Cutting the menu could be the same.  Cruise entertainment staff numbers are lower than prior decades.  My guess at this moment in time is they want to operate with fewer people on all staffs, rather than hire more staff to up quality.

I am hoping they are still studying and find an optimal middle ground, where the quality of all facets of a great cruise, and the numbers of personnel to meet their financial requirements can be beneficial to all.  At this moment this thread, and many others like it indicate the CC crowd at least, a percentage feels the pendulum has swung to far away from the quality side.

Just an opinion,

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

"Fast forward to today. It is a condensed, boring flavorless menu with small portions and the service is non-existent because the staff has way too much to do. I don't need to waste time with specifics because anyone with a cruising history knows what I just stated is dead on."

Sure, you will still hear a few say "we had a great time, no complaints with the food". These are the folks who have a limited cruising history or people who will eat anything. I have family who love baloney sandwiches. Sorry, I am not too keen on paying resort prices for low grade food and rushed service and neither should you. The cruise experience has been tainted. 

Oh and you gain two pounds each cruise because of the sodium level in the food and water. 

Wow.  Just...wow.  So everyone who likes any of the meals in the MDR is just ignorant?  Sorry -- I disagree.  I haven't been on as many cruises as you, but enough, I think, to be able to have an informed opinion.  I agree that the quality has gone down on some selections, but not all. Perhaps my palate is not as refined as yours, but I'm also not cruising for the food. Oh, and I just spent two weeks on the Allure in August, and the staff in the MDR was fantastic.  Every. Single. Time. 

As I said above, I don't cruise for the food.  While cruising with Royal, I have had so much fun on the ships with the people I love.  I have visited Rome and Florence, Italy, St. Petersburg, Russia, Barcelona and Valencia, Spain, Estonia, Sweden, France, Finland, and more.  In the spring, I'm going to Australia and New Zealand.  In relaying all of the special moments I had in these amazing places, I not once stopped to complain about the food. Maybe that makes me simple and pedestrian (and no, I don't like bologna sandwiches). I cruise for adventures and experiences. The rest is gravy.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, birdofsong said:

Wow.  Just...wow.  So everyone who likes any of the meals in the MDR is just ignorant?  Sorry -- I disagree.  I haven't been on as many cruises as you, but enough, I think, to be able to have an informed opinion.  I agree that the quality has gone down on some selections, but not all. Perhaps my palate is not as refined as yours, but I'm also not cruising for the food. Oh, and I just spent two weeks on the Allure in August, and the staff in the MDR was fantastic.  Every. Single. Time. 

As I said above, I don't cruise for the food.  While cruising with Royal, I have had so much fun on the ships with the people I love.  I have visited Rome and Florence, Italy, St. Petersburg, Russia, Barcelona and Valencia, Spain, Estonia, Sweden, France, Finland, and more.  In the spring, I'm going to Australia and New Zealand.  In relaying all of the special moments I had in these amazing places, I not once stopped to complain about the food. Maybe that makes me simple and pedestrian (and no, I don't like bologna sandwiches). I cruise for adventures and experiences. The rest is gravy.  

Glad you have enjoyed cruising. But to clarify, I never said anyone was ignorant and I also did not say staff was subpar. I did say service is lacking due to being overwhelmed. Back in the day, the server had a few tables, you had a sommelier and attention to detail...today, nothing more than a chop shop, get them in, get them out.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

I have said this before, and I will say it again...we are being groomed for the removal of the main dining room. In the near future, you will pay for specialty, or you will go to the buffet. The main dining room removal will create more space for specialty dining venues. We can only blame ourselves from years ago when everyone fell for the nominal charge for specialty dining. Ten to 15 bucks, tip included.  Now look what happened! For example, what is Chops now? I believe 70+bucks each?...ridiculous and the food in there has actually has gone downhill.

Very well stated. 

20 hours ago, rolloman said:

I have been cruising on RCI since 1988. I can absolutely listen to your argument that we are being slowly heated up in warming water like frogs, claims, oysters, and lobsters that we no longer struggle with mediocre offerings.

You are absolutely correct that maybe my two pounds of weight gain each cruise is because of increased sodium intake both water and food. I have to admit, I cannot eat like I could in my younger days and my wife is trying to encourage me to watch what I eat (I guess I am still worth more dead than alive  🤣).

Do not think I am a cheerleader. I have not gone to Next Cruise on my last two cruises.

I do not think that my past three cruises reflect the level of price point that I want to pay double or almost triple of what I paid.

What I am trying to do now is document why I think the quality is lower and the experience is not positive enough to purchase a higher cruise price.

You and I know that nothing changes unless it can be documented.

Write a review with pictures and explain how it does not meet expectations or exceeds expectations.

I am trying to understand your ideas and viewpoints.  I think we are on the same page but for semantics and interpretations which are hard to understand with mere words.

Regards,

😁

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, rolloman said:

Celebrity tried the "Main dinning room" removal with replacement by specialty restaurants.  Didn't work.  The real issue is Royal's cutting back on food.  MDRs used to be a nice place to dine some dozen or more years ago.  Even pre-covid it was becoming too noisy with poor food and few options.  And, Yes,forcing you to pay big for a decent dinner in a special restaurant.  Greed!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have been cruising on RCI since 1988. I can absolutely listen to your argument that we are being slowly heated up in warming water like frogs, claims, oysters, and lobsters that we no longer struggle with mediocre offerings.

You are absolutely correct that maybe my two pounds of weight gain each cruise is because of increased sodium intake both water and food. I have to admit, I cannot eat like I could in my younger days and my wife is trying to encourage me to watch what I eat (I guess I am still worth more dead than alive  🤣).

Do not think I am a cheerleader. I have not gone to Next Cruise on my last two cruises.

I do not think that my past three cruises reflect the level of price point that I want to pay double or almost triple of what I paid.

What I am trying to do now is document why I think the quality is lower and the experience is not positive enough to purchase a higher cruise price.

You and I know that nothing changes unless it can be documented.

Write a review with pictures and explain how it does not meet expectations or exceeds expectations.

I am trying to understand your ideas and viewpoints.  I think we are on the same page but for semantics and interpretations which are hard to understand with mere words.

Regards,

😁

Agree.  Navy chow was so much better than what is being currently offered by RCI.  Actually, with retirement income (30 years in uniform) Im worth more alive than dead.  🫤  Spouse tries to keep me that way.  And, I actually lose 3-5 lbs each cruise by eating better and less with little too snacking.  I only eat in the MDR when "forced" by social custom and others.  Otherwise its special restaurant or the buffet where I can select by sight.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Agree.  Navy chow was so much better than what is being currently offered by RCI.  Actually, with retirement income (30 years in uniform) Im worth more alive than dead.  🫤  Spouse tries to keep me that way.  And, I actually lose 3-5 lbs each cruise by eating better and less with little too snacking.  I only eat in the MDR when "forced" by social custom and others.  Otherwise its special restaurant or the buffet where I can select by sight.

My last post had a typo.

Yes, that was a typo, "my wife thinks I am worth more dead than alive."

Should that have not been a typo, I probably would not be posting right now!!!

🤣😁😧

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
Another typo :)
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

🤣

I'll give many examples of how the food quality has decreased. The MDR food lacks flavor, it needs better seasoning. The quality of the meat includes lots of gristle and fat, it needs to be be better quality. Things that are hot should be hot, not lukewarm. Things that are fried should be crispy, not soggy. Gravy should be tailored to each dish, not the same gravy in every item. There should be a wider variety of vegetables served as sides.  The salad dressings should go back to whatever brand they used 5 years ago, as all of the current ones taste strongly of vinegar, they are not balanced. There should be a greater variety on the menu. Missing from former menus are: classic menu items that are available daily, cold fruit soups, duck, lamb. It was lovely when they used to bring out the rolls on a tray, often they were warm.  Not as many desserts should be jello or pudding based, there should be more that are actually baked. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

I'll give many examples of how the food quality has decreased. The MDR food lacks flavor, it needs better seasoning. The quality of the meat includes lots of gristle and fat, it needs to be be better quality. Things that are hot should be hot, not lukewarm. Things that are fried should be crispy, not soggy. Gravy should be tailored to each dish, not the same gravy in every item. There should be a wider variety of vegetables served as sides.  The salad dressings should go back to whatever brand they used 5 years ago, as all of the current ones taste strongly of vinegar, they are not balanced. There should be a greater variety on the menu. Missing from former menus are: classic menu items that are available daily, cold fruit soups, duck, lamb. It was lovely when they used to bring out the rolls on a tray, often they were warm.  Not as many desserts should be jello or pudding based, there should be more that are actually baked. 

No argument from me about your observations. I can and will keep documenting what is being served now so cruisers can make up their own minds. I have observed and documented some of the items you describe in my recent evaluation of non-mdr food on the Oasis, September, 2023.

Some things are improving but nothing is like per-pandemic let-alone the 1980s or 1990s.

• Like 1

Good to excellent MDR Explorer Seas in Europe (from Ravenna in Aug 2023). Fish perfectly prepared, Meat was good/very good. DH got a med+ prime rib, when he asked for Med-rare, but it was a huge piece, so he kept it and said it was fine. On par with Celebrity and Princess for this cruise. Better than Vision (Europe) last year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

Good to excellent MDR Explorer Seas in Europe (from Ravenna in Aug 2023). Fish perfectly prepared, Meat was good/very good. DH got a med+ prime rib, when he asked for Med-rare, but it was a huge piece, so he kept it and said it was fine. On par with Celebrity and Princess for this cruise. Better than Vision (Europe) last year. 

Good to hear.  For the first time ever we received overcooked prime rib in March on the Anthem (asked for medium rare and received well done).  I chalk that up to a "one-off" experience though as it's been very good on all other cruises.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:39 PM, ReneeFLL said:

I googled and it said Bliss also has swingers cruisers. I was just commenting because you said “But, I just can't even see myself or my wife being associated with a business or other activity that promotes such things.” Bliss is not on the brand of cruise that I cruise on.  Part of the Parent Company, yes.  But, not on Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships.  Bliss does their thing, Royal does it's own and Pineapple cruises isn't one of their things.
Apparently, Royal also does this sort of business when it charters out to other companies. It’s not just VV. I don’t care what Royal does with such cruisers as long as I’m not expected to participate and I don’t have to see it. Have you ever seen an upside down pineapple on a door before? It probably happens on all cruises, we just don’t know about it. To each their own. 

Wow, this got derailed. Back to the MDR food. 
The menu is lacking. The choices are so much more limited and the cuts of meat mostly subpar. IIRC Royal said it was to speed up the service. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 That’s a joke. It hasn’t done anything for service. It’s all about pinching pennies out of us.

The dead horse is dead now.  

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2023 at 9:15 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

Last year I would say 8/10 for both.  It was never fabulous.  But consistently this year since January the above is true and is reflected on every survey we do.  I guess Royal doesn’t care. We even had a discussion with the chef last cruise.  ( He came to our table and asked for feedback and we were nice about it but honest.) It didn’t improve.  At least I don’t gain weight when we cruise anymore.  

Yes, food was pretty fabulous when we started cruising. Real beef steaks and prime rib, delicious sides, Ceaser salad prepared table side, order as much as you care to eat, then finish with flaming cherries jubilee also prepared at your table. Service was so good that you wanted to tip every night.

Today's MDR has no comparisons. 

• Like 2

I have been on many, many cruises and after recently getting off Liberty, I thought that (other than a very good prime rib on the first night) their main dining room had the worst food that I had ever been served on a ship. Other than a scalding hot onion soup, none of the food came out hot. But more importantly, the quality has really gone down. Some of the food seemed like something from my high school cafeteria more than a cruise ship dining room. Part of this, I blame on the new menus where they are creating meals to force them into an unnecessary theme.

Someone on the cruise said that they thought that the food in the Windjammer was really bad too. They were wondering if they were intentionally making the Windjammer food bad so that people would return to the main dining room. Ironically, I had been wondering if they were making the dining room food bad to increase business in the specialty restaurants. I don't think that either one is actually the case, but if things don't improve, they may be losing some customers soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NYCrews said:

I have been on many, many cruises and after recently getting off Liberty, I thought that (other than a very good prime rib on the first night) their main dining room had the worst food that I had ever been served on a ship. Other than a scalding hot onion soup, none of the food came out hot. But more importantly, the quality has really gone down. Some of the food seemed like something from my high school cafeteria more than a cruise ship dining room. Part of this, I blame on the new menus where they are creating meals to force them into an unnecessary theme.

Someone on the cruise said that they thought that the food in the Windjammer was really bad too. They were wondering if they were intentionally making the Windjammer food bad so that people would return to the main dining room. Ironically, I had been wondering if they were making the dining room food bad to increase business in the specialty restaurants. I don't think that either one is actually the case, but if things don't improve, they may be losing some customers soon.

I think the best meal overall in general has been the WJ breakfast. That says it all. Sigh.....

• Like 1