Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

On 9/1/2023 at 12:47 PM, Saint Greg said:

Carnival Spirit. I’ll be on her for the first time in February 

IMG_3137.thumb.jpeg.f3ff1f145feec09abf4800e2b8e8a1c4.jpeg

IMG_3139.thumb.jpeg.69b93ff2f6c5a10c1fc21a5b609a2387.jpeg

IMG_3140.thumb.jpeg.f15989b99229461eda6effb2fd4c9f60.jpeg

IMG_3142.thumb.jpeg.6db2c043e16626ae54260e88b02e5e1d.jpeg

I was on the Spirit this cruise, we had great weather the whole cruise. I’m going to have to look for myself in your pictures, since we were in Skagway together. 🙂 

• Like 7

Talking about how the cruise lines aren't looking to help anyone out price wise...one of the ladies at my train table on the way to the port was a first time cruiser.

She just called NCL and said I want to go on this cruise by myself. I want a balcony. I want. I want. I want. And they gave her what she wanted but no options were discussed or anything like that. She's in what NCL calls a closed balcony or something. It looks like what Carnival calls a cove balcony. 

Anyway she's curious what people paid. And a little upset that she paid 3k more than I did. Base price for the room. She showed me her breakdown. I mean sure she got a better room. But not 3k better. Not $425/day better. 

I almost didn't see the deal I booked. I was looking at a family interior just outside of O'Sheehans when I just happened to see the inside guarantee for about half the price. 

If I could get a vacation planner that would notify me of those hard to find solo deals, I might book with them, but other than that it's going to be me booking myself or me allowing my TA to book it for their OBC benefits.

Oh the lady also wanted to guess ages at the table and guessed 10 years under for me. So that's good. But not great. I have heard as much as 17 under in the past year.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Talking about how the cruise lines aren't looking to help anyone out price wise...one of the ladies at my train table on the way to the port was a first time cruiser.

She just called NCL and said I want to go on this cruise by myself. I want a balcony. I want. I want. I want. And they gave her what she wanted but no options were discussed or anything like that. She's in what NCL calls a closed balcony or something. It looks like what Carnival calls a cove balcony. 

Anyway she's curious what people paid. And a little upset that she paid 3k more than I did. Base price for the room. She showed me her breakdown. I mean sure she got a better room. But not 3k better. Not $425/day better. 

I almost didn't see the deal I booked. I was looking at a family interior just outside of O'Sheehans when I just happened to see the inside guarantee for about half the price. 

If I could get a vacation planner that would notify me of those hard to find solo deals, I might book with them, but other than that it's going to be me booking myself or me allowing my TA to book it for their OBC benefits.

Oh the lady also wanted to guess ages at the table and guessed 10 years under for me. So that's good. But not great. I have heard as much as 17 under in the past year.

Oh and when we got off of the train the lady said “you could be one of those bloggers.”

Yes I could.

• Like 6
  • Haha 23

On 9/5/2023 at 5:34 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

My PCC at NCL of 14 years has always told me from the first day they started booking air, not to do it.  Last month she said she tells ALL her customers not to do it because it’s rare she has a happy customer when they have insisted on doing it anyway.   She told me there had been talk at corporate of discontinuing the program since it’s turned into such a PR nightmare for the,   I’m way too controlling to allow someone else to book mt air, it’s just too important.

Several weeks ago I was criticized for recounting a conversation with NCL where I was told that I shouldn't book NCL air if I was picky about my flights.   Several posters thought I was making that  up, that no agent would make such a statement.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Several weeks ago I was criticized for recounting a conversation with NCL where I was told that I shouldn't book NCL air if I was picky about my flights.   Several posters thought I was making that  up, that no agent would make such a statement.

I know I believe you. My agent told me you have no choice in what airline, times, or routes you are assigned. Good thing I have flyer miles. I wasn't dealing with that.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I just had that conversation with a client tonight (my aunt)...I absolutely warn people about booking NCL air before booking it. I'm the one that has to listen to them whine and moan when they have an issue...I've also mentioned NCL has a very blunt sales document for TA's and NCL call center staff. Many folks don't believe me - it's an internal document so I can't share it, but NCL absolutely wants call center agents to politely, but bluntly describe the NCL BOGO Airfare program.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I just had that conversation with a client tonight (my aunt)...I absolutely warn people about booking NCL air before booking it. I'm the one that has to listen to them whine and moan when they have an issue...I've also mentioned NCL has a very blunt sales document for TA's and NCL call center staff. Many folks don't believe me - it's an internal document so I can't share it, but NCL absolutely wants call center agents to politely, but bluntly describe the NCL BOGO Airfare program.

My TA told me she would only book NCL air if I insisted.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Uff da said:

I've only heard of it and have never used it and right now, I can't find it either. I may be (gasp!) wrong. Or perhaps they used to and don't anymore. That's possible too, old info. I've only sailed with them post C.
With that said, that means all air goes through the air/sea program where you have no control. 
If it was so expensive, why did you use it? Was it still cheaper than booking your own? 

The only other comment I will make in response to your staunch defense of NCL is that I've not heard a word of criticism of NCL itself, just its air program... it seems like all the negative comments have stemmed from that one and only one issue- seems like they're doing a lot more right than they are wrong, but why not fix the one hugely wrong thing?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

We are shifting from Carnival to NCL. When we booked our first few NCL cruises and asked about the second person flies free promotion our Personal Cruise Consultant told us to not even think about it. He said you had no choice of flights and specifically warned that if your trip has connecting flights it is quite possible you won't have time to get from your arrival gate to your departure gate. Apparently that had happened to several of his clients and he wanted no part of it again. So your "several posters" don't have a clue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

In April it was significantly cheaper. In June I could’ve picked my own flights, including a reasonable one in Vancouver that connected in Seattle for about $100 more. To do it at that point I would've lost 50% of my money which changed the math on it.

After all of this discussion I started checking air prices again. Expedia etc was all over 3000.00 for our multi city flight for 2 people.  Ncl is charging us 1564.00.Chicago to Rome Barcelona to Chicago. I’d also checked Canada and it was the same. For some reason I went to the Air France site. Holy hell. They had some promotional flights. We could have gotten 2 non- refundable tickets for 1600.00 total. We ended up getting 2 refundable tickets for 2175. Great flights. We are in control of them. When I talked  to my ncl cc earlier today she said if you can book you own flights do it. I’m glad that worry is over! 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, icft said:

We are shifting from Carnival to NCL. When we booked our first few NCL cruises and asked about the second person flies free promotion our Personal Cruise Consultant told us to not even think about it. He said you had no choice of flights and specifically warned that if your trip has connecting flights it is quite possible you won't have time to get from your arrival gate to your departure gate. Apparently that had happened to several of his clients and he wanted no part of it again. So your "several posters" don't have a clue.

My NCL CC said the same thing to me today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

The only other comment I will make in response to your staunch defense of NCL is that I've not heard a word of criticism of NCL itself, just its air program... it seems like all the negative comments have stemmed from that one and only one issue- seems like they're doing a lot more right than they are wrong, but why not fix the one hugely wrong thing?

I am not a "staunch defender" of NCL. I had one of the worst cruses ever on the Getaway. I just don't get on here and gripe about it though. I've had my ups and downs with NCL. I sailed with Carnival in May too (b2b 3rd & 4th with them). So bad even the Carnival faithful (platinum and diamonds) were telling me how bad it was and I should try another ship. I didn't get on here and gripe about that one either. Even with all the things that happend on those 2 cruises, we still managed to have fun. The ports were great!
Every time you cruise post C, you never know what you are going to get. You just have to roll with the punches and hope it gets better. Just because my cruise was off, doesn't mean it will be that way next week. Why should I taint someone's view? 
What I am a staunch defender of is not jumping on a bandwagon because you heard something bad, especially if you have no experience yourself. Thousands of people fly with that program every week. You only hear the bad though and God forbid I say it's not all bad, right? I mean, we can't have that. Are you also calling out all the others who have said they've had good luck with NCL air, or is it just me? 
I've had my fair share of troubles flying outside NCL air too. It's just the way it is. I just pick myself up and move on, grateful for another day on this side of the dirt. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your live review! Just in time for Football! Are you headed to New Orleans this weekend? As for cruise lines I like both Carnival and NCL! I did the Alaska cruise out of SF on the Miracle. A few sea days were nice front and back!

Doing Hawaii out of SF too. Hope Carr is good for your team!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NeaNea said:

Thanks for your live review! Just in time for Football! Are you headed to New Orleans this weekend? As for cruise lines I like both Carnival and NCL! I did the Alaska cruise out of SF on the Miracle. A few sea days were nice front and back!

Doing Hawaii out of SF too. Hope Carr is good for your team!

Yeah I think I’m going to all but the Thursday night game..because I used all of my vacation on cruises. Whatever hotels, food, and drinks I get into this season will be added to this thread I started last year on the New Orleans board.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, depplep said:

Also from Ohio. Bathroom/Restroom is interchangeable for me. The first time we went to the UK and I saw signs for the Toilets, I thought, how rude!

Try Pissoir in CPH in the Nyhavn district. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5a19da95598f60e77af4a8b8ddea1f25.jpeg

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, wesorbeth said:

I've used washroom, restroom and bathroom.  I never really thought about this before, I am going to start listening to others.  I was born, raised and still live in southern Ohio.

You left out “toilet” which is common in many countries.

If in a country where you may be unsure, just make a washing hands signal with you two hands to the hostess /host. Works most of the time in many countries you may be visiting 😊

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mommapadraig said:

After all of this discussion I started checking air prices again. Expedia etc was all over 3000.00 for our multi city flight for 2 people.  Ncl is charging us 1564.00.Chicago to Rome Barcelona to Chicago. I’d also checked Canada and it was the same. For some reason I went to the Air France site. Holy hell. They had some promotional flights. We could have gotten 2 non- refundable tickets for 1600.00 total. We ended up getting 2 refundable tickets for 2175. Great flights. We are in control of them. When I talked  to my ncl cc earlier today she said if you can book you own flights do it. I’m glad that worry is over! 

When are you cruising? Have you done any research on Air France?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uff da said:

When are you cruising? Have you done any research on Air France?

We’ve flown Air France in the past. We are actually on KLM flights on this trip. They partner with them. I had checked the KLM site before Air France and the same trip was over 3000.00 on their site. We are leaving for Rome on 4/23. Getting on NCL Dawn on the 26th. flying home May 7.

Edited by Mommapadraig

5 hours ago, Mommapadraig said:

We’ve flown Air France in the past. We are actually on KLM flights on this trip. They partner with them. I had checked the KLM site before Air France and the same trip was over 3000.00 on their site. We are leaving for Rome on 4/23. Getting on NCL Dawn on the 26th. flying home May 7.

It's not about safety. Both are having labor disputes and stikes are happening off and on or in the case of KLM ground crews, threated to happen very recently. I'm just suggesting you keep an eye on the situation. That can go on for months, even years while they duke it out. Transportation strikes of all sorts are common in Europe. Then again, they could resolve it and everything is fine. There may be no problems at all when you fly. I just want you to be aware. 

American and Southwest have been in negotiations for 3 years. They can't strike right now because of mediation, but if mediation ends (it's coming up on one year soon), it's going to be a problem for people flying as they have already authorized strikes through their unions. I'm praying that doesn't happen because they are my carriers for my next flights. I'm keeping an eye on it so I don't get caught in a sticky situation. I already know what alternate airlines and flights will get me where I need to go should something happen. I'm a planner.