Question on Viva Haven 2 bedroom Suite

gojigirl

The big difference between any of the Epic or BA/BA+ ships is that there is a real bed in the 2nd bedroom, not the crapy sofa,,, so that is a real plus. And you get a upgraded shower in the 2nd bedroom, not a small balcony shower like on the getaway. A big improvement for  NCL. 

Video of H6 

• Like 1

We really like the Harr videos in general, but thought this one of the Viva 2 bedroom suite was particularly interesting. Different design certainly than any other of the fleet's 2 bed/2 bath suites. Hard to make a judgement without actual cruisers weighing in but it seems that:

POSITIVES: If travelling with 2 adult couples, it is a better set-up than the pull-out couch on the non-Prima-Class ships, and the 2nd bathroom is larger. The balcony appears to be much larger with space for multiple loungers and 4 seater table vs 2 chairs / small table on non-Prima-class.

NEGATIVES: Very small living room with short ceilings - OK, Danny Harr is like 6'7" but he almost has to crouch. Actually appears a bit claustrophobic with the drab color scheme. In-room dining would also be a challenge. 

Heck...it's the Haven, and for us we are in the Middle East / Med in May / June 2025 so we can take hopefully full advantage of that balcony and not fuss too much about the living room. 

Cannot wait to see more actual experiences as the ship has more sailings. 

Warmest Amy

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 7:33 PM, amygutman said:

We really like the Harr videos in general, but thought this one of the Viva 2 bedroom suite was particularly interesting. Different design certainly than any other of the fleet's 2 bed/2 bath suites. Hard to make a judgement without actual cruisers weighing in but it seems that:

POSITIVES: If travelling with 2 adult couples, it is a better set-up than the pull-out couch on the non-Prima-Class ships, and the 2nd bathroom is larger. The balcony appears to be much larger with space for multiple loungers and 4 seater table vs 2 chairs / small table on non-Prima-class.

NEGATIVES: Very small living room with short ceilings - OK, Danny Harr is like 6'7" but he almost has to crouch. Actually appears a bit claustrophobic with the drab color scheme. In-room dining would also be a challenge. 

Heck...it's the Haven, and for us we are in the Middle East / Med in May / June 2025 so we can take hopefully full advantage of that balcony and not fuss too much about the living room. 

Cannot wait to see more actual experiences as the ship has more sailings. 

Warmest Amy

I watched some of his videos on these cabins, and others. The V!va interiors certainly do not scream !!!!!! They look very 1970's, cramped and blah...I imagine they considered putting in an olive green shag carpet. Obviously that's not going to determine whether I cruise V!va or not, but I certainly have to wonder at the design choices. Even the owner suites on V!va look small and cramped! 

• Like 2

The biggest problem with the Haven Suites on the Prima class ships are storage.  There's just not enough, especially in the bathroom.  Breakaway class ships Haven Suites are much more functional and appealing IMO.  To answer your question, the living area is much smaller than on Getaway.

• Like 1

I haven't been on the Viva, and only watched the video, but it appears the two-bedroom family suites are going from one bedroom being a bat caves to two bedrooms being bat caves.  I'm sure the plan was to make the two bedrooms more equitable if sharing with another couple, but I'm not impressed.  It's a shame as the two-bedroom suites are a favorite of mine.

Edited by Girr
Adding info.
  • Like 2

I also haven't been on Viva but the layout makes sense to me. It's the "economical" 2bed/2bath option in the Haven. If you want more space &/or are willing to pay (quite a bit) more money, the deluxe owners suite (H3) is an alternative.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am looking to book the Viva 2 bedroom H6.  Depending on room or deck, a big variance in balcony size.  I have searched and cannot find which decks or specific cabins offer the larger balconies.  Balcony: 138 - 190 sq. ft.  Does anyone know?

Thank you if you can point me where to look.

19 hours ago, scanr said:

I am looking to book the Viva 2 bedroom H6.  Depending on room or deck, a big variance in balcony size.  I have searched and cannot find which decks or specific cabins offer the larger balconies.  Balcony: 138 - 190 sq. ft.  Does anyone know?

Thank you if you can point me where to look.

From what I can tell, the balconies are the same size with a few exceptions.

Cabins 15318 and 15918 seem to be the bigger, angled balconies. We were able to snag one of these for our 2025 cruise.

Be careful with the 300/900 cabins. Those will likely have some interference from the slides.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 1:51 PM, Lupush said:

The biggest problem with the Haven Suites on the Prima class ships are storage.  There's just not enough, especially in the bathroom.  Breakaway class ships Haven Suites are much more functional and appealing IMO.  To answer your question, the living area is much smaller than on Getaway.

That's kind of a broad statement.  We had a regular OS and while smaller than other ships, storage was everywhere they could think of.  We had a walk in closet and tons of places to store things around room.

3 hours ago, brookie848 said:

From what I can tell, the balconies are the same size with a few exceptions.

Cabins 15318 and 15918 seem to be the bigger, angled balconies. We were able to snag one of these for our 2025 cruise.

Be careful with the 300/900 cabins. Those will likely have some interference from the slides.

Brooke,

Yes thank you.  15318 & 15918 are the largest.  Close to aft and have advantage of curve.  Took awhile studying map of each floor.  I booked them both so we have port & starboard views.  I was going to book at least one of the NICER aft Haven suites with Hot Tub!  But new rules (Quoted the CDC which gave us the now debunked Masking rules, have now moved on to be personal hot tub police) make the use of a personal hot tub WORTHLESS!  ANY USE NEEDS PLANNED OUT HOURS IN ADVANCE.  You must call housekeeping to fill it.  How long to heat up?  NCL only guarantees 1 hour of optimal temperature.  HT will be drained after EACH USE!.  Then the process starts over.  Never heard anything so stupid applying to PERSONAL hot tub.

I am somewhat disappointed in the second bedroom setup on these new ships because my husband and I cruise with our two kids. We all loved that they had their own space in the 2BR on the Getaway, and we are cruising in a 2BR on the Epic next year. They're currently 10 and 12 (<-- this one's 5'6"), so they are young enough not to care too much about bed comfort, but if they have to share a bed, God help my ears from the bickering about who's hogging sheets, blankets, and space.

While I love that there is the option of a big bed for a second couple on these ships, it limits the functionality of the second bedroom for parents traveling with kids or other people who don't necessarily want to share a bed but are OK sharing a room. I know I'm being picky at this point, but I just don't like turning the living area into a third bedroom. 

The nicer second bathroom on the new ships is great, especially for teens and adults, and especially the separate toilet, but the ones on the older ships aren't garbage, just not quite as nice.

I just wish that on the new ships they had an option to either separate the bed into two beds or have a Pullman in the second bedroom, and in the latter case, the kids could fight over the queen bed or switch back and forth.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, BirdTravels said:

The big difference between any of the Epic or BA/BA+ ships is that there is a real bed in the 2nd bedroom, not the crapy sofa,,, so that is a real plus. And you get a upgraded shower in the 2nd bedroom, not a small balcony shower like on the getaway. A big improvement for  NCL. 

Video of H6 

Agree. The living room is much smaller but we rarely use it anyway. Having the second bedroom be a “real” bedroom is totally worth it to me. And the king bedroom is brighter and more spacious feeling than the same category on the Bliss.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, Lucky Dude 2101 said:

Are the drawers under the bed all the way around that would inhibit suitcases to be stored under the bed? In years past, under the bed storage has been ideal to keep suitcases out of sight!

The drawers are on the sides of the beds. The open space under the foot of the beds are great for storing large suitcases. 

On 8/24/2023 at 1:53 PM, cruiseny4life said:

I watched some of his videos on these cabins, and others. The V!va interiors certainly do not scream !!!!!! They look very 1970's, cramped and blah...I imagine they considered putting in an olive green shag carpet. Obviously that's not going to determine whether I cruise V!va or not, but I certainly have to wonder at the design choices. Even the owner suites on V!va look small and cramped! 

I sort of agree.  The wood wall behind the beds and dark olive green walls reminds me of the 1970s appliance colors.  I saw a video of an owners suite and the walls were dark green and it looked dark and depressing.  I get they made the Haven more casual but I am not crazy about the color choice either. 

On 8/24/2023 at 3:56 PM, Girr said:

I haven't been on the Viva, and only watched the video, but it appears the two-bedroom family suites are going from one bedroom being a bat caves to two bedrooms being bat caves.  I'm sure the plan was to make the two bedrooms more equitable if sharing with another couple, but I'm not impressed.  It's a shame as the two-bedroom suites are a favorite of mine.

I have been in this category on the Bliss and on the Prima and am booked in one on the Viva. The second bedroom on the Bliss was not ideal. But it worked.  The main bedroom was much more spacious but had only about a foot of space on the three sides that were not against the wall.

The Viva bedrooms in the video are just like on the Prima. No way is either of them like a bat cave. The larger one has a wall of windows looking out on part of the balcony. Lots and lots of light. And Plenty of room on all sides of the bed, which is a major improvement from the same category on the Bliss. The second bedroom is not as large but still has plenty of room and gets the light from the balcony indirectly via  the  white wall which is a bit opaque.  

we didn’t and don’t care if the living room is smaller in order to enlarge the bedrooms. I do understand that people who like to dine in the living room might be a little disappointed because the table is fairly small. OK for two people but if you have a family or children or whatever you couldn't sit at that table to eat.

I personally like the decor in the video. I don't like a lot of fancy stuff I like an open feel. That's just a personal preference. Honestly we don't spend that much time in the cabin so I don't really care.