Cruise from Yokohama - What time to arrive at cruise terminal 7 pm departure?

hubofhockey

We have a 7 pm departure listed on the itinerary at Yokohama cruise terminal.

Trying to plan hotel check out and Shinkansen (bullet train) from Kyoto to Yokohama.

Would taking a 2 pm train which arrives at Yokohama station at 3:50 make sense?  I am figuring 25 minute taxi to the cruise terminal.  That would get me there around 4:30 pm.  Does that make sense?  Do most people arrive sooner?  Thanks.

Thanks.  I was hoping to tour in the morning in Kyoto) , get lunch near the train station and then get a train in. 90 minutes means 5:30 pm, so 4:30 is probably good.   If there is one cruise I am in no rush to get to earlier than I have to, it's this one. 90 minutes means 5:30 pm, so 4:30 is probably good.  Even a 1:45 pm gets us to Yokohama station at 3:37.  

We cruised from here pre pandemic. I suggest you overnight there as its quite an interesting place with its own "China Town ".

You do not say the date,  but you are coming into the Typhoon season, which happened to us and in which case the ship will sail out to sea before boarding  to avoid getting smashed up in the dock.

No one could board and were lucky we could stay in our hotel for a further night until the ship came back, luckily it did. Extra costs were all paid by Celebrity. Others travelling down on the day had to rush around to try and find hotel rooms. Everything then closed down.

Very interesting country, one of our best destinations.

We will be coming in from Tokyo on the day of our departure. There doesn't seem to be great information out there about the terminal, where the ship might be docked (I understand it's a large port) and how easy is it to access from the Nihon-Odori metro stop- e.g. can you walk to the terminal or do you need to arrive by taxi?

Also, is it a definite that Celebrity will offer airport transfers at disembarkation (nothing showing just now)?

Thanks

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can arrive anytime from when Check In opens - usually around 11:00.    Latest is usually 1 hour prior to departure.  

Arriving around 1100 - 1200 is our plan for our May 2nd cruise.  We are staying in Yokohama for three days before and after the cruise and was wondering if I needed to arrange for a late checkout (1500-1600) with the hotel but sounds like that is not necessary.  Personally, I'd like to have lunch ashore and board after lunch so our plans may vary once we are actually there. 

Pretty sure we can expect more information from Celebrity when it gets much closer to our sailing date.  

On 8/24/2023 at 12:33 PM, Captain-John said:

We will be coming in from Tokyo on the day of our departure. There doesn't seem to be great information out there about the terminal, where the ship might be docked (I understand it's a large port) and how easy is it to access from the Nihon-Odori metro stop- e.g. can you walk to the terminal or do you need to arrive by taxi?

Also, is it a definite that Celebrity will offer airport transfers at disembarkation (nothing showing just now)?

Thanks

Almost certainly the ship will be docked in Osanbashi Terminal.  Search on that and there is plenty of information available.

From Nihon-Odori station it is only a few minutes walk up to the terminal check in area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We done this a few times.  The port opens around 12-ish and you can check in.  We like to check in early and then go out of the ship and explore and come back before the ship leaves.  Beware if you tend to bring wine back on the ship.  The security is extremely tight.   Just follow the allowance and you'll be fine.  Some good wine stores around.   

1 hour ago, FeelingCruisy said:

We done this a few times.  The port opens around 12-ish and you can check in.  We like to check in early and then go out of the ship and explore and come back before the ship leaves.  Beware if you tend to bring wine back on the ship.  The security is extremely tight.   Just follow the allowance and you'll be fine.  Some good wine stores around.   

Have you experienced the security specific to bringing wine?  I assume their security is tight due to country regulations not sure how much they are looking for wine?  I thought that depending on who was actually running the security it made a difference in whether they really cared about the wine allowance?

6 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Have you experienced the security specific to bringing wine?  I assume their security is tight due to country regulations not sure how much they are looking for wine?  I thought that depending on who was actually running the security it made a difference in whether they really cared about the wine allowance?

We were able to take a bottle of champagne aboard for our sail away, but we were one of the first to board.  He had worked and lived in Tokyo for 4-years and were meeting friends in Yokohama for lunch..thus the early boarding.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 11:14 AM, micruiser2002 said:

Yes.  We always try to bring wine that we like to the ship regardless of having a drink package or not.  So because there is 2 liquor store near the port (one literally around the corner as you climb the incline -youll know what I'm talking about when you see the port).  Don't bring more than you're allowed.  They are very strict as I mentioned before.  They will not allow you to bring more than allowed.  They did have a table to collect them when japan security passed you to the booze collection table (run by Celebrity).  

From my last experience, after passing the security the first round, they didn't say anything but somehow know how many brough from x-ray.    I say to myself, that was easy, so I went out and bought 4 bottles.   I played the speak no Japanese card, sent us to the table.  Thankfully I whisper to the barman to "help me out buddy".  Security still looking but as soon as he turn his face , barman let me go with my 4 bottles.   From then onwards, we came out again after the first round of booze then do one extra round obeying limit.   And all was well.   

• Like 1