P&O reduce prices/refunds

Cathygh

2 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

Just want to say thanks for all the advice. 

We've taken the plunge and booked rci for next year😀

Nice to see there might be some discount when I hit 55 though at this rate I'll be a platinum member of whatever by then.

Would have been a cracking price but we got scared at the thought of getting sick in the bay of biscay and triggering migraines , so paid a bit extra to get midships .

Congratulations. Enjoy.

Thanks Megabear, you've no idea how helpful your input has been.

Cruise prices are truly fascinating things, especially the way they move.  They are probably a really good model for someone learning about how to maximise profits.

I can see why an agent (third party or cruise) is better than just booking on the internet. Knowing what's next to a room even with a deck plan is really helpful (crew access in my instance is an unnamed white blob!).

Also sneaky offering the kids go cheap \ free but needing outside cabins with higher adult prices is particularly smart.

Right off now to convince the family I need to be on a repositioning cruise for two weeks....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Onboard Arvia and our cruised booked for Iona Jan 25, 35 nights is £800 cheaper and £850 OBC and free car parking ! Even allowing for loss of £420 deposit I am £1200 up. Cancelled cruise and rebooked.

Great result. Well done. Out of interest, when did you originally book the cruise? Was it at launch?

Edited by Selbourne

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Great result. Well done. Out of interest, when did you originally book the cruise? Was it at launch?

Yes, it was booked at launch. Never again, they don't value loyalty. I have said many times launch prices should be the cheapest, or if they drop you should get OBC to compensate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Yes, it was booked at launch. Never again, they don't value loyalty. I have said many times launch prices should be the cheapest, or if they drop you should get OBC to compensate.

Thanks. I thought as much. @daiB will be interested in this, as he is still firmly of the view that launch prices are still the lowest, which is clearly not the case from your example. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Onboard Arvia and our cruised booked for Iona Jan 25, 35 nights is £800 cheaper and £850 OBC and free car parking ! Even allowing for loss of £420 deposit I am £1200 up. Cancelled cruise and rebooked.

Hi Bob, hope you are enjoying the cruise. We are on Aurora next week so will check out prices and availability. I am assuming you booked saver as you lost your deposit? We have a select inside with £215pp OBC but are considering going for a balcony if we transfer, if the price isn't right then we will probably plumb for a saver inside and use our deposit for another cruise. 

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

We did exactly the same in March on Iona and even with loss of deposit was £100s better off with OBC. Did slightly different with our cruise next April on Arvia. We have transferred our cruise to one prior so instead of going on 28th going on 14th. Same cruise just meant we get free parking and £660 OBC where originally all we had was free parking. Both these cruises were booked at launch so proves launch prices are not always the best. Surprisingly the Arvia cruise is second time we have moved cruise and P&O allowed it.

• Like 4

Interesting reading regards the cancelling and rebooking whilst on board. My sister phoned me from Arvia this morning to say she had cancelled out trans Atlantic Arcadia cruise next September and rebooked it on board. 
Price of cruise reduced by just under £1500 and on board credit increased from £250 to £1700! Old deposit of just under £600 lost but I’m pleased as punch. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Hi Bob, hope you are enjoying the cruise. We are on Aurora next week so will check out prices and availability. I am assuming you booked saver as you lost your deposit? We have a select inside with £215pp OBC but are considering going for a balcony if we transfer, if the price isn't right then we will probably plumb for a saver inside and use our deposit for another cruise. 

I just checked the current price for our  Jan 2025 Caribbean cruise on Iona and for a select balcony in the same location, the price is £37pp cheaper, and the OBC is the same at £250pp, although booking on board might give some extra OBC.

We booked on board at launch and only paid £50pp deposit, so the price has to reduce dramatically before we would consider a change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junction2 said:

Interesting reading regards the cancelling and rebooking whilst on board. My sister phoned me from Arvia this morning to say she had cancelled out trans Atlantic Arcadia cruise next September and rebooked it on board. 
Price of cruise reduced by just under £1500 and on board credit increased from £250 to £1700! Old deposit of just under £600 lost but I’m pleased as punch. 

Thanks for this! We are on the same cruise and, having read this, I checked the prices. Now £1000pp cheaper and more OBC so I cancelled and rebooked. Lost 5% deposit and had to pay 10% for the new booking but we are still well ahead financially.

5 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

No, Select. We would have had to put the deposit on a dearer cruise so cut our losses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I just checked the current price for our  Jan 2025 Caribbean cruise on Iona and for a select balcony in the same location, the price is £37pp cheaper, and the OBC is the same at £250pp, although booking on board might give some extra OBC.

We booked on board at launch and only paid £50pp deposit, so the price has to reduce dramatically before we would consider a change.

The price onboard is 10% cheaper than currently advertised on website.  £3779 as opposed to £4199, and they want loyalty.

11 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

The price onboard is 10% cheaper than currently advertised on website.  £3779 as opposed to £4199, and they want loyalty.

I’ve never booked a cruise whilst on board. Is the 10% discount applying to all cruises or just certain ones? In the past I thought that the benefit of booking on board was restricted to the small deposit and, occasionally, some extra OBC. Has that changed?

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve never booked a cruise whilst on board. Is the 10% discount applying to all cruises or just certain ones? In the past I thought that the benefit of booking on board was restricted to the small deposit and, occasionally, some extra OBC. Has that changed?

It must be a special offer  because I dont think our launch booking had any other reduction.

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I wish I knew the answers. I will ask if the 10% discount is across the board or selective cruises, times etc. I will be off air until Sunday, at sea, someone else may know before then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don’t know the answer either until possibly next week when my sister is home but we booked at launch and the select costs were as follows for 3 people:

£5867x 2 

£0 x 1

Total £11734 and £260 OBC

Cancelled and rebooked yesterday on board

£5039 x 2

£199 x 1

Total £10277 and £1700 OBC

Per P&O online today

£5499 x 2

£199 x1

Total £11197 and £1100 OBC

• Like 4

The latest price for a same grade balcony on Iona in January is £320 more expensive than the price i booked at last year. There is £320 OBC (£2254 net) but the original booking was £2254 + £350 OBC (£1904 net). Add £150 shareholder benefit leaves me trying to spend £35 per day and i don't do posh restaurants.