Questions about dietary restriction capabilities

Banditswife

What kinds of diet restrictions can you request prior to your cruise?  Lower fat? Lower sodium? Lower sugar?  Smaller portions?

And are these requests usually honored?  Or do we have to remind our servers on 1st day?

I have requested a child's portion a few times, rarely honored though.  Just wondering if there is a way to achieve this.  I have seen servers give people special menus for dietary restrictions, mostly wondering what they are capable of doing.

Fill this out before boarding but do remind your waitstaff upon arrival.  I ask for the low salt and as you said they will bring a menu for your next day’s selections. https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

as to small portions I simply ask the waiter to grab the “small one”.  I like fish but often the portion is much too large .  If you use fixed dining you will have more success with these types of requests.  However if you have a special diet, like low salt or allergy the menu will find you daily 

Remember your part is to be sure they know if you are not going to show for an evening meal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fill out the Ship Services form before you cruise stating dietary restrictions.....low salt, food allergies, etc.  Only on 1 night, at the start of our cruise, was there an issue but from then on everything was fine.  In the Lido, you need you use your judgement or request something be made to your specifications...it's not a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

Thank you this helps.  I just hate wasting food.  We do usually book anytime dining, but I will see how this works.

Chef in Pinnacle Grill one time told us they'll gladly accommodate requests for smaller or half portions, even on steaks, if you ask.

And as for the allergies, as others said, fill out the form pre-cruise, once onboard they'll bring you the next night's menu to make selections for the following night.

• Like 1

In the main dining rooms, the meals are already plated for the waiters to "grab and go". For specific diets, there will be specially prepared meals. Unfortunately, it's not reasonable to ask for a smaller portion of the meal. In terms of the "kid's size", unless the meal is from the kid's menu, it will be the same plate everyone else gets.

I'm a small portion person ( I can still buy older kids or adult clothes size of person) and have not had a problem with waste in the MDR (generally anytime dining) as the portions are pretty "small people friendly" . They can see I am smaller, and I ask "how big is the ??" to help make choices and between that and sometimes splitting things, waste has not been an issue for us on HAL in the MDR.

Speciality dining portions on HAL are quite big for me, and again we share or there I  ask for smaller portion as I think it is easier for them to manage that.

11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

In the main dining rooms, the meals are already plated for the waiters to "grab and go". For specific diets, there will be specially prepared meals. Unfortunately, it's not reasonable to ask for a smaller portion of the meal. In terms of the "kid's size", unless the meal is from the kid's menu, it will be the same plate everyone else gets.

We frequently ask for smaller portions and have had no issues receiving them. I pre-select my dinners one night before w/a note of what I want smaller portioned, so of course that's easy for them to do. My sister & friend do not pre order, but rather request smaller portions at dinner and have not had an issue.

We also "mix & match" our menu selections - cut the mashed sweet potatoes, give me the roasted potatoes instead, skip the carrots & add green beans... I don't remember when we've ever ordered anything exactly as it is listed on the menu. No "grab n go."

This has all been in MDR, not CO.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1