P&O Cruiser does a Saga Cruise

Dermotsgirl

I am hoping this will be allowed.  We've recently had threads comparing P&O to Princess, Fred and (I think) Celebrity, so I hope my thread, which will compare and contrast P&O to Saga will be acceptable.  Some posters have kindly expressed an interest in my experiences, and this thread is for everyone on the P&O Forum.  If you aren't interested please feel free to scroll on by! 

I sometimes end up writing War & Peace, so I will post in instalments, to make it easier

Part 1

My first Saga cruise - 11th August 2023 'Hidden Gems of the British Isles'

Pre-Cruise information.

The information flow before the cruise was very good. I felt that communications were timely and easy to understand, and at no stage did I feel that that I didn't know what was going on.  Everything was very simple, with no need for pre cruise check in, or printing labels. We were sent our luggage labels about three weeks before the cruise, which seemed very old school.  Excursions were available to book eight weeks before sailing, done online, although I believe it was possible to book by telephone if required.   

Transfer to the port.

We were sailing from Tilbury and coming back to Dover. We would have chosen the included transfer service anyway, but it was even more useful as different embarkation and disembarkation ports were involved.

I was a bit nervous about this aspect of the cruise, as I'm not used to outsourcing responsibility for the journey to the port.  We had been given a time of 12.40 for pickup, and I didn't even have time to worry, as there was a knock on the door at 12.30, and our driver was there.  So he loaded up the car with our cases, and we were on our way.  Friday lunch time traffic at the Dartford crossing was  bad, and we were very happy not to be driving. 

The transfer service worked for us, and made it a more relaxing start to the cruise.  However, we were very local, and had a car to ourselves, and had also been given a very sensible pickup time, much earlier than I expected.  Other experiences are available - people who live more than 75 miles from the port share a minivan and are more lively to get caught up in traffic etc, especially if they have inexplicably late pick up times.  

The cases were dropped at a 'shed' away from the terminal, and we were dropped at the terminal by our driver.  Security and check in was  a breeze and we just sailed through. No waiting in queues, instead just flowing from one section to the next.  (we have boarded at Tilbury before, and they are normally good). We walked to the ship just after 2pm, which was excellent.

On Board

Once on the ship we were taken to our cabin (can't remember the last time that happened on P&O).  We decided to have a light lunch in the Grill (there will be a whole section about eating arrangements) then booked our speciality dining, and generally wandered around for a while to get our bearings. At about 3.30pm we went back to the cabin, in the hope that our cases would be there. Well, there was a case on the bed, but it wasn't ours. So I deposited it outside the correct cabin, and waited for ours. At 4.45pm, I was getting a bit antsy, as nothing had been delivered, so I wandered  along the corridor, and found one of our cases with a sad little group, so I collected it, and we unpacked that case.  Then, at 5pm, it was time for muster (watch the safety video in the cabin, then we were called to our muster stations to have our card scanned).  By the time 5.45pm rolled around and our remaining case hadn't turned up, I was getting mega antsy, so went out on another recon mission.  Just as I got to the lift area, another batch of cases  were coming out, including ours, so I collected it, and did our final unpacking.

I was a bit disappointed with the luggage delivery, but overall, I was happy and impressed at this point.

Part 2 to follow in due course 

• Like 24

Been on several P and O and Saga cruises. There is no comparison.

we have enjoyed our P and O cruises, but there are a lot of extras; we have to drive to Southampton and on our next 5 day cruise pay for car parking, pay for insurance, £250 for 5 days, pay for all drinks including bottled water, pay for speciality restaurants, pay for excursions (several are included with Saga). The service and food are impeccable. Order whatever we want with no worry about what it will cost.

We have enjoyed travelling with both cruise lines, but I know which I would choose if I had the choice

• Like 4

4 hours ago, silversurf said:

Been on several P and O and Saga cruises. There is no comparison.

we have enjoyed our P and O cruises, but there are a lot of extras; we have to drive to Southampton and on our next 5 day cruise pay for car parking, pay for insurance, £250 for 5 days, pay for all drinks including bottled water, pay for speciality restaurants, pay for excursions (several are included with Saga). The service and food are impeccable. Order whatever we want with no worry about what it will cost.

We have enjoyed travelling with both cruise lines, but I know which I would choose if I had the choice

+1 one more to go and never returning to travelodge on sea AKA P&O

• Haha 1

Taking everything into account adding it all up , P&O is still cheaper than Saga. But if you are willing to pay for quality go Saga.

The problems getting into speciality restaurants,  may be the finsl straw for a high quality P&O experience. 

• Like 2

I have done Saga cruises, and they are certainly high quality - but you can do  more cruises at a lower price level for the same amount of dosh.  Sometimes you just have to 'pays your money and takes your choice.'  Certainly worth thinking about for anyone who needs a bit of looking after in terms of getting to the ship and handling luggage.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have done Saga cruises, and they are certainly high quality - but you can do  more cruises at a lower price level for the same amount of dosh.  Sometimes you just have to 'pays your money and takes your choice.'  Certainly worth thinking about for anyone who needs a bit of looking after in terms of getting to the ship and handling luggage.

The Saga transfer service certainly makes a more relaxed start to the cruise, and they wait for you if you are late.  Our cruise sailed an hour late because we waited for people caught in traffic.

• Like 2

I live near the 250 mile limit for free travel; in probably 10 cruises (though none over the past four or five years) the car tended to arrive between 8 and 9.30 a.m., a 20 minute stop en route at a service station, and always arrived in time for the buffet lunch/afternoon tea on board.  Once on our own, otherwise sharing with people pretty well on the route.  Now I am on my own, if I manage another I will be so grateful for not having to carry my case at all, just leave it in the hall for the driver and next see it in the cabin apart from having a quick look at the port to make sure a porter has got it.

• Like 5

Part 2

The cabin

We had a bog standard balcony cabin towards the front of the ship on C deck.  All the cabins have balconies.   We were pleased with our cabin choice. it was comfortable, and compared to P&O, seemed a bit larger than a similar balcony cabin.  This is a very new ship so everything was in pristine condition and was looked after by our cabin steward, Ronnie, twice a day. Yes, evening turn down still exists and we had a chocolate on the pillow every night. There was a small seating area with a table and chairs that were actually comfortable to sit in. Lots of storage space with several drawers, shelves and hanging space.   There was a large wall mounted flat screen TV with plenty of of content, such as films, several TV channels, including BBC 1, the facility to check your onboard account,  (although the only thing I bought was a fridge magnet, as everything else was included) the day's menu choices and the day's entertainment and the Playhouse Channel where the entertainment from the theatre was shown as it happened. There was also the facility to catch up on previously shown events.   The balcony was a decent size, and we could both be out there together without skirting round the furniture and avoiding bumping into each other. Decent a sized shower room too, with walk in shower, and massive bottles of hand soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion.

The only slight problem in the cabin was that the wardrobe was very close to the bed. The wardrobe had sliding doors, so it was perfectly accessible, but the bedside table was very close by.

I would also mention that this was the quietest cabin I've ever had.  No noisy people walking past, the front door closed softly, so there was no banging of doors and we didn't hear anything from the people next door, apart from the occasional woosh of their toilet. I don't know if there was extra soundproofing put in, but it was very peaceful

The Ship.

Everything seemed to be where you would expect, so it was fairly intuitive to find my way around, although I kept forgetting that the prom deck was deck 6, rather than deck 7.  The ship is modern, and the decor reflects that, but it it's not stark and functional. There are carpets on most of the floor, rather than tiles, so the whole effect is stylish but homely and comfortable.  The atrium is spread over floors 5, 6 and 7, although there's only stairs to get from deck 5 to 6. If you want to get from deck 6 to 7, you had to walk round to the forward staircase.   At the top of the atrium was the library, craft room and card room, a large swathe of space for people to sit around!  In the library they had a coffee machine, which was very useful. a few presses of the buttons and you could serve yourself with your own choice of coffee. Deck 6 of the atrium was mostly used by the North Cape bar, and at the lowest level was 'The Living Room', where you'd typically find Costa Coffee on P&O. Although, the coffee served here was the push button type from the library.  There didn't seem to be anywhere on the ship that served proper barista made coffee.  I was quite surprised by this, and a bit disappointed as I like my coffee.

Dining options were found to the aft of deck 5 and 6, with the main theatre at the front of deck 6.  The tiering in the theatre was steeper than many ship theatres, so a good view could be had from every seat.  Up on deck 12, the buffet could be found along with the outside eating area, the Verandah.  The Britannia Lounge was to be found at the  front of deck 12, which played the role of the Crow's Nest and was also the secondary show lounge.

I thought that ship was lovely, and easy to navigate. 

• Like 17

Part 3

Food.   All I can say here, is that I didn't have a bad meal the whole time I was onboard.  High quality food, beautifully presented.

The MDR (The Dining Room) menu was much more extensive than can be found on P&O  these days.

Typically 4 starters, 4 soups / salads. one 'simple fare' choice such as an omelette, 4 always availables and 6 mains.  From memory there'd  be about 5 desserts and  and extensive cheeseboard.  

Rather than describe anymore, I'll post some photos! 

IMG_1348.thumb.jpg.0f6b7ddb2fc27062442d315ca77bd8c4.jpgIMG_1351.thumb.jpg.6a4df7080e74e771331954449ab88cd8.jpgIMG_1409.thumb.jpg.d45c6e0f5422725e2151c226908ade26.jpgIMG_1410.thumb.jpg.9bdef2b7f4a2eab274c5a7404821f126.jpgIMG_1411.thumb.jpg.a00edb8c4c17e29fbe01bbde7bfc55ac.jpgIMG_1412.thumb.jpg.125bd7473be357db0124e2b0144de2be.jpgIMG_1460.thumb.jpg.b8a618cf4a7339bf13c81bf2379bb785.jpgIMG_1461.thumb.jpg.9477a698e54fab6bdccab8f61e4f54f5.jpgIMG_1462.thumb.jpg.2b754d596b3af76475dd73e530abb647.jpgIMG_1463.thumb.jpg.4e431478a35d4fbd7f53a2881a5b2d79.jpgIMG_1497.thumb.jpg.62d9f515d5797b1e917aea71a33a0a3e.jpg

• Like 14

Good to hear that you are enjoying your first SAGA cruise. Your report is excellent and highlights a number of things I'd wondered about.

I've only ever cruised with P&O and have recently being considering the alternatives. Unfortunately, on a purely cost basis, SAGA always seems to come near the bottom of my list and, as I live near Southampton, that also tends to keep it near the bottom.

I know it's difficult to compare cruise companies, and what is included, but I've recently decided on Princess for my next cruise, which is roughly half the price of SAGA but without some of the extras.

I will certainly keep my options open and continue looking for alternatives to P&O, which has been likened, on recent cruises, to Butlin's at Sea!!

• Like 4

Part 4

It's all been plain sailing so far, but I'm afraid the next bit isn't so good.

Dining Arrangements.

By way of explanation, my husband and myself are confirmed introverts, and prefer to have a table for 2.  We don't seek out the company of others, and in fact, find constant conversations with others to be quite tiring.  So all we want is a table for two where we can observe what is going on and chat quietly to each other.

The dining options are as follows

The Dining Room (MDR), The Grill (buffet, but most evenings reverts to waiter service with same menu as the MDR), Khurkuri (Nepalese speciality restaurant) Amalfi (Italian speciality restaurant) The Supper Club (steakhouse speciality restaurant, with music as you dine, Limelight Club Lite)

On the first night you are allocated a time and a place for your dinner (we were given the Grill at 7.15pm)  but after that, you can dine 'at any time you want, and with whoever you want'.  Although it is freedom dining, it is possible to book a table in the MDR before you travel, for the duration of the cruise.  This is quite limited ( I think about 125 tables), and we didn't do this as we prefer freedom.

The problem with the tables for two is that they are VERY close together.  You know the banquette seating tables on P&O, about 18 inches apart? That's actually some of the tables that are furthest apart in the Saga MDR.  On our first visit to the MDR there wasn't a single table for two left.  It was the first formal night, and we'd been to the 'welcome aboard' reception. We left before the captain finished speaking to avoid the rush, but we fairly surprised to be told that there were already no tables left. I understand now that nearly all the tables for 2 are pre-reserved.  The offered a 'sharing table' which I wasn't in the mood for, and I asked if we could come back later. The lady on the podium said we could, but she couldn't give a time or reserve anything for us.  A P&O pager would have been very useful at this point!  So we decided to go off to the Grill instead.

We did try again a few times in the evening in the MDR, going along  when the restaurant opened at 6.15pm, and we did secure a table for two, but most times is was an inch away from the next table and was more like a 4 top.  We did have conversations with people on the next table, because it seemed rude not to (I'm quiet, not rude), but it wasn't always enjoyable, and wasn't how we wanted to have our dinner.  It made me not look forward to dinner.  However, on our last visit, we had a PROPER table for two - it was right next to the kitchen, but I would have loved that table for the whole cruise.

So, if the MDR doesn't work, then move to the buffet.......  but that was more of the same, to be honest

As I said earlier, the buffet reverts to a table service restaurant in the evening, with the same menu as the MDR. There were two special evening buffets during the cruise (Irish Night and British Night) but the other nights there was no access to a buffet.  I thought that was slightly problematic for me, as I like a buffet meal from time to time in the evening as a rest from eating full meals. Indeed, it did turn out to be a problem, as, at the end of the cruise when I started feeling ill, I would have done anything to sit out on the open deck in a quiet corner away from everyone, just pecking at a few bits that I fancied as my appetite had all but disappeared.

But I digress.  The tables in the buffet are also very close together, so you end up sitting right next to someone as if it was a table for 4. We found we were eating our dinners faster that we wanted to, just so that we could move on.

During the day, the seating was also a problem, as the waiters actually show you to your seat at a   table.  One of the key features of a buffet, for me, is choice, and that includes where I sit, so I was quite fed up that the choice had been taken away from me, even at breakfast and lunch.  In the end, we had to get assertive and say 'we'll sit here' when we saw a decent table, rather than go where the waiter wanted to put us.

Regarding speciality restaurants, these are booked on board.  As this was a shorter cruise, we  were only allowed to book one to start off with, and went on the waitlist for the other two.  We eventually got into all three, and really enjoyed all of our meals.  Although, the tables aren't very far apart in either  Khukuri or Amalfi, certainly not like Sindhu or Epicurian. The Supper Club was great though, with a proper table for two.

So that's dining arrangements.   I know that a lot of people would love to opportunities to mix with others, but it's not something we really seek out. I always felt that we could have our own space on P&O when we wanted it, but it seemed be an issue for us this Saga cruise, and unfortunately had some impact on the overall enjoyment of the cruise. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

One of the key features of a buffet, for me, is choice, and that includes where I sit, so I was quite fed up that the choice had been taken away from me, even at breakfast and lunch.  In the end, we had to get assertive and say 'we'll sit here' when we saw a decent table, rather than go where the waiter wanted to put us.

Don't blame you, unless all the other tables were reserved ,why not ?

We had this a few months back and had only just started venturing out trying to keep our distance whenever possible .

The restaurant only had a family of four at a table and the waitress tried to sit us  as you say inches apart but  We indicated we would like a table further away . She tried telling us she could not do that as other tables could be taken . At this time the manageress walked by and said "Why can they not sit where they want ?" The waitress just said "Dunno "  There was well over 50 odd tables not in use !

Some times I wonder why the waiting staff do this ? You did right .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 8

Pity the dining arrangements didn't work out for you.  Contacting you when a table for two was available is something they should thought about.

Haven't been on a table for 2 in P&0 as we used to like tables for 6. However Post covid gone for twos , so  have been twice on a table for two in Cunard grills one QG one PG , both these were tighter than Saga, under a foot between tables.  So even paying their prices doesnt guarantee space.

Given all the complaints about lack of availability in P&O MDR on bigger ships, I  would have thought they would be squeezing as many tables in as they can.  Pay extra restaurants on P&O would be different of course, which is where we hope to dine on next cruise, but for food not space. I think you have to go very upmarket to get same space on cruise as in restaurants. 

We were on Saga early last year so thought being taken to table in grill was a covid track and trace protocol , surprised it's still going on.  We only used outside terrace at lunch not main grill, but there you could choose own table.  Never use grill at night didn't realise it was purely same menu as MDR. That reduces choice.

Glad you found the food good , but if you weren't comfortable with the seating  arrangements then that would ruin it a bit. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Don't blame you, unless all the other tables were reserved ,why not ?

We had this a few months back and had only just started venturing out trying to keep our distance whenever possible .

The restaurant only had a family of four at a table and the waitress tried to sit us  as you say inches apart but

We indicated we would like a table further away . She tried telling us she could not do that as other tables could be taken . At this time the manageress walked by and said "Why can they not sit where they want ?" The waitress just said "Dunno " 

Some times I wonder why the waiting staff do this ? You did right .

It wasn’t possible to reserve a table in the buffet, so the tables were fine to sit at. Perhaps they just wanted to fill the tables in an order to make it easier for themselves.  It makes things such hard work ! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Pity the dining arrangements didn't work out for you.  Contacting you when a table for two was available is something they should thought about.

Haven't been on a table for 2 in P&0 as we used to like tables for 6. However Post covid gone for twos , so  have been twice on a table for two in Cunard grills one QG one PG , both these were tighter than Saga, under a foot between tables.  So even paying their prices doesnt guarantee space.

Given all the complaints about lack of availability in P&O MDR on bigger ships, I  would have thought they would be squeezing as many tables in as they can.  Pay extra restaurants on P&O would be different of course, which is where we hope to dine on next cruise, but for food not space. I think you have to go very upmarket to get same space on cruise as in restaurants. 

We were on Saga early last year so thought being taken to table in grill was a covid track and trace protocol , surprised it's still going on.  We only used outside terrace at lunch not main grill, but there you could choose own table.  Never use grill at night didn't realise it was purely same menu as MDR. That reduces choice.

Glad you found the food good , but if you weren't comfortable with the seating  arrangements then that would ruin it a bit. 

We used the Verandah for fish and chips a couple of times which was really nice, but they didn’t have any tables set up for outside dining if you just wanted to take some things out from the buffet. 

We have already booked another cruise with Saga (booked it a couple of months ago), so we are going to have to try and think of a way we can get this to work for us 

• Like 4

As they say, one man's meat is another man's poison. And that is equally true of dining arrangements.

As a former P&O now turned Saga regular, I find Saga's dining arrangements very much to my own personal taste. As a solo traveller I prefer to dine in company and the abundance of sharing tabes for 6 or more makes it easy to do so. On occasions I have occupied a table for two at breakfast or lunch and have often had conversations with the occupants of the tables either side, usually initiated by them. I welcome such conversations, although I appreciate that others may take a different view.

As regards the Grill, I regard being greeted front of house and being taken to a table with place settings already in situ as a positive feature. Just like you would expect in a decent restaurant onshore, and something which distinguishes a buffet restaurant from a caffetteria. If I have been guided to a table which I do not particulary like I have always asked politely if there is an alternative and have usually been given one.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We used the Verandah for fish and chips a couple of times which was really nice, but they didn’t have any tables set up for outside dining if you just wanted to take some things out from the buffet. 

We have already booked another cruise with Saga (booked it a couple of months ago), so we are going to have to try and think of a way we can get this to work for us 

Probably because the Verandah is a bar in which food is available at certain times, rather than a restaurant. So in the manner of a continental cafe bar, cutlery is only brought to a table if food is ordered.

Edited by Denarius
spelling

38 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Maybe it would be worthwhile telling the Maitre D on day 1 that you prefer a table for 2,  which is not close to others in all the restaurants.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pine Man said:

Good to hear that you are enjoying your first SAGA cruise. Your report is excellent and highlights a number of things I'd wondered about.

I've only ever cruised with P&O and have recently being considering the alternatives. Unfortunately, on a purely cost basis, SAGA always seems to come near the bottom of my list and, as I live near Southampton, that also tends to keep it near the bottom.

I know it's difficult to compare cruise companies, and what is included, but I've recently decided on Princess for my next cruise, which is roughly half the price of SAGA but without some of the extras.

I will certainly keep my options open and continue looking for alternatives to P&O, which has been likened, on recent cruises, to Butlin's at Sea!!

I'm confused. Is P&O Travelodge at sea, or is it Butlin's at sea??

My 15th Travelodge/Butlin's cruise is in 9 days time so I don't know whether to pay a tenner for an early check-in or prepare myself for the nobbly knees competition...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

we just sat down at the tables outside without cutlery.  It was brought  straight away, along with a question what did we want to drink. Could then either order off outside menu , or go to buffet , choose prawns from buffet.

That’s something we can consider for next time, weather permitting. Thank you