New to P&O ..some questions , thanks

room with a view

We are looking to book the Azura ... hope the very knowledgeable people on CC can help.

Deck  D Superior Deluxe we like the extra space in the cabin and are not bothered by the fact that the balcony is overlooked .

Questions ... with these  cabins with the lifeboats below ... is there any creaking noises from the lifeboats and the equipment ....we like our balcony door open.

Is water served with dinner or do you have to pay for it ?

I understand that you are allocated a table which you have for the length of the cruise ...can you change it mid cruise ? ...are tables for two available ?

By taking the "Select price" option you can choose your dining time 6.30 and 8.30 and "freedom dining"  ..if you choose 6.30 and the ship is in port longer .. can you then change to freedom for one night ? .

With freedom dining do you have a long wait for a table.?  and can you choose a time 6.30 on booking and then change it to freedom ?

Lots of questions from two newbies ..lastly is there anything you can advise that's made your cruise extra good !!!

thanks

1 minute ago, room with a view said:

Is water served with dinner or do you have to pay for it ?

Iced water from a jug is served free of charge but if you want bottled water you will be charged.

To answer your dining questions. P&O have two types of dining - club and Freedom.

If you book select fare then you will have a choice as to whether you want first sitting club, second sitting club or Freedom and once selected that remains for the duration of the cruise - you cannot swap it around on a daily basis. You may be able to change the option on the first day but whatever you change it to will remain for the rest of the cruise.

If you choose saver fare then you will be allocated a dining option.

Tables for two are available but are few and far between and if select fare will be allocated on a first booking priority.

Freedom dining waiting times can be compared to "how long is a piece of string" - some nights/times you will be able to walk in and others you can have a lengthy wait (more applicable on formal nights)

Club dinning you request 6.30 or 8.30 table for 2 are available on your booking request

but in our experience you have to have booked on cruise release to hope you guarantee table for 2 .As far as I am aware cannot choo and change once booked club dinning .If you request freedom you can get a table for 2 if you eat before 6pm ish.Think the app or pager would have to be used after 6pm  If the ship was in port longer guess you could use the buffet for one night or book a specialality dinning venue but wouldn't be able to use freedom dinning .If your allocated club dinning wasn't to your satisfaction you could see the restaurant manager on embarkation day to see if freedom was available Hope this helps

Thanks, David and Bin man .

Another question ...we are booking our fights with P&O but by the time we get through passport control,  waiting for luggage then the transport to the ship we will probably be the last people boarding .

We would like to book some speciality restaurants but by the time we get on board I guess most of the slots will be taken . Can these be booked in advance or is that facility only available to P&0 passengers who have sailed many times with P&O.

18 hours ago, room with a view said:

Thanks, David and Bin man .

Another question ...we are booking our fights with P&O but by the time we get through passport control,  waiting for luggage then the transport to the ship we will probably be the last people boarding .

We would like to book some speciality restaurants but by the time we get on board I guess most of the slots will be taken . Can these be booked in advance or is that facility only available to P&0 passengers who have sailed many times with P&O.

we go on Azura in October. At the moment our cruise personaliser says "coming soon" for booking Epicurian, Beach House & Sindhu in advance. I've read elsewhere that it will open up 2 weeks before we go. 

I don't think the app is currently used on Azura for booking restaurants, just the pager if needed. And, no you can't swap around between Freedom and fixed. You could eat in the buffet of course. We're on Freedom for the first time, so we'll see how that goes!

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

we go on Azura in October. At the moment our cruise personaliser says "coming soon" for booking Epicurian, Beach House & Sindhu in advance. I've read elsewhere that it will open up 2 weeks before we go. 

I don't think the app is currently used on Azura for booking restaurants, just the pager if needed. And, no you can't swap around between Freedom and fixed. You could eat in the buffet of course. We're on Freedom for the first time, so we'll see how that goes!

Thanks for the information .the cruise is "at sea" on Christmas Day/ New Years Eve ...not sure how that will be for "freedom dining" passengers . We hope to get this booked today . ...see availabilty of cabins 

2 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Thanks for the information .the cruise is "at sea" on Christmas Day/ New Years Eve ...not sure how that will be for "freedom dining" passengers . We hope to get this booked today . ...see availabilty of cabins 

Maybe choose fixed dining and remove the stress. 

1 minute ago, room with a view said:

Thanks ...still hoping someone will answer the question about any problems with the lifeboats just below deck 9 - any movement noise when the ship is moving at night ...we like to leave the balcony door open ,

Lifeboats are well fixed and do not move around. Don't worry, sure it will be no problem.

18 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Thanks ...still hoping someone will answer the question about any problems with the lifeboats just below deck 9 - any movement noise when the ship is moving at night ...we like to leave the balcony door open ,

I've never had noise issues with lifeboats but did have a light on a stanchion all night on deck 9 Britannia from the lifeboat below.

Re the lifeboats we were recently on Aurora and were woken up each night by a very loud noise which sounded like high pressure valves being released (water or air?).  There was no way we could have slept through it so we did complain to Reception. 

The Deck Manager came and then got back to us later.  He walked us through the corridor area beneath our cabin and through the windows could see the lifeboats below our cabin with an array of gas canisters aligned between lifeboats.  He had paced it all out and couldn't have been more thorough.  He reported it to engineering and they fixed it!   

I'm sure it was an aberration as the rest of the cruise was absolutely fine - no noise from the lifeboat attachments or other issues at all. So I'm sure you'll be fine.  If it were a common problem I'm sure we'd be reading about it.

BUT should you hear a hissing noise (my OH likened it to a jet taking off 🤯 but in the middle of the night sounds do seem disproportionately loud when they wake you from a deep sleep!) then it may be something to ask them to check out! 😉 😁 Different ship though. 

Have a great cruise! 

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

No noise from lifeboats. But if you’re worried keep the door closed and that way you won’t disrupt everyone else’s air conditioning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, room with a view said:

the cruise is "at sea" on Christmas Day/ New Years Eve ...not sure how that will be for "freedom dining" passengers

Normally Christmas Day and NYE become fixed dining and you would be allocated a sitting

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Maybe choose fixed dining and remove the stress. 

Many a true word spoke in jest.

The main meal for the day Christmas diner is served at diner time (evening) a fact that disappoints some.

6 minutes ago, room with a view said:

It will be a gorgeous meal whatever time we have it !!

Maybe. My one and only Christmas dinner on a P&O ship was not wonderful - three sprouts with the turkey, and I won't even start on the Christmas pudding.

5 hours ago, room with a view said:

Leaving the door open is not a good idea as it affects the air con / heating in a number of cabins on either side. P&O ask you not to do this. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, room with a view said:

Whilst lifeboats are fixed you don't get noise from loose items banging and chains. I certainly wouldn't book a cabin with restricted view due to lifeboats because there will be a certain amount of noise.

Edited by majortom10

7 hours ago, room with a view said:

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Whilst lifeboats are fixed you don't get noise from loose items banging and chains. I certainly wouldn't book a cabin with restricted view due to lifeboats because there will be a certain amount of noise.

On Azura the lifeboats are underneath Deck D and do not restrict the view out or down to the sea.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:55 PM, majortom10 said:

Did you mean to say "you do get noise from loose items"?

• Thanks 1