Port to port vs Door to door??

fraj1

Starting tomorrow 3/18/24, for all new bookings, The big change is that Door to Door and Port to Port fares will have the same deposit and cancellation terms.  Both will now require 25% deposit, have final payment at 120 days, $250 penalty from time of booking to 150 days, then % based penalties starting at 15% and increasing thereafter.  Other than including/excluding flights, transfers and (sometimes) pre/post hotels included the two fares will essentially be the same on the back end.  Simplifies the booking process for consumers, and most likely easier for Silversea to manage on the back end as well.

I have attached a flyer that shows all the fare options, inclusions and payment/cancellation terms.

FLYER_THE_LUXURY_OF_CHOICE_GBL_SA2401197592 (2).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thanks @AtlantaCruiser72.     A few notes after a quick perusal:

• Wonder who proofed this brochure? There are typos on page 2....
  • The alignment of deposits, cancellation terms, combinability with other offers, etc. should make P2P much more attractive and that's the fare category I'm most likely to book now.
  • Now that my schedule is more flexible, the Essential fare category may be appealing for spur-of-the-moment bookings, depending on the actual fares. 
  • There are several disturbing differences for the Essential fare category shown on page 3.  The chart shows that in addition to excursions not being included, this fare category does not include:
    • multiple dining options and beverages 
    • butler service, onboard gratuities and Wi-Fi

????!!!  Many, many questions about those last two points, which represent a major shift in brand positioning.  

• Like 4

With more high-end options becoming available it seems SS no longer wants to compete in the ultra-luxury category.  By offering a “bargain” no-frills product it seems to cheapen the entire brand.  It was always part of the attraction of SS that everyone had a butler, all dining venues were available, it was all-inclusive.  That is no longer true.

• Like 2

And with a second look, there is a disparity within the brochure.

Page 2 states that Essential fares include all onboard luxury inclusions and lists Food & Beverage and Butler service as included.  But the chart on page 3 has red Xs for 

• Multiple dining options and beverages
  • Butler service, onboard gratuities and Wi-Fi

Very sloppy.  Unless they correct their flyer before tomorrow, there will be much confusion and possibly misdirected anger with the rollout of these new fares. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

What the future portends ????

The essential fare does not include the so called “upper suites” either. 

Love the word combinbale. 

Maybe it is time to bail. 

😁 I missed that one as I was pondering what a trasfer might be. 

• Haha 1

I'm not sure how much this helps, but we live in a non-hub, secondary market U.S. city which makes air travel challenging at best. Top that off with me being fairly particular about flights and wanting to get things locked down well in advance and I absolutely wanted to handle flight arrangements myself. Port to port was the only option for us - cost was not the deciding factor.

• Like 3

I'm a bit surprised because I just booked my trip in the last month and the pricing has changed dramatically.  I know that there was a good offer - which is why I booked fast.  But now they're saying that the 25% single supplement deal is only on door to door vs port to port.    I really wanted to book my own flights to ensure I fly non-stop.  I hadn't thought about it...but it seems that if I'm paying single supplement on a door to door, I'm paying 25% more for the flight too (which doesn't feel fair at all).    

Part of me would like an "essential" fare because I don't drink alcohol and don't have any interest in some of the fancy food (I will likely skip dinner altogether or eat light room service).   But it wouldn't feel "luxurious" and "all inclusive" anymore.   I suspect the next thing is that you'll have to pay gratuity separately.   

Posted (edited)

Outrageous, Farcical.

What's a National Account Amenities?

What's a Trade Event certificate combinability?

Since when did children on Silversea become Kids?

So much devaluation.

Yours, Strongly annoyed.

Rocchi

Edited by Rocchi
More annoyed words
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

I really wanted to book my own flights to ensure I fly non-stop.  I hadn't thought about it...but it seems that if I'm paying single supplement on a door to door, I'm paying 25% more for the flight too (which doesn't feel fair at all).

I realized that after the fact. There was only door to door when I booked, but I took out the flights because I knew that I would have points. But they added the single supplement before they took off the airfare, so I am still paying 25% of the air cost. 

9 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I realized that after the fact. There was only door to door when I booked, but I took out the flights because I knew that I would have points. But they added the single supplement before they took off the airfare, so I am still paying 25% of the air cost. 

Wow, that’s worth protesting.  What a sneaky move.

5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Starting tomorrow 3/18/24, for all new bookings, The big change is that Door to Door and Port to Port fares will have the same deposit and cancellation terms.  Both will now require 25% deposit, have final payment at 120 days, $250 penalty from time of booking to 150 days, then % based penalties starting at 15% and increasing thereafter.  Other than including/excluding flights, transfers and (sometimes) pre/post hotels included the two fares will essentially be the same on the back end.  Simplifies the booking process for consumers, and most likely easier for Silversea to manage on the back end as well.

I have attached a flyer that shows all the fare options, inclusions and payment/cancellation terms.

FLYER_THE_LUXURY_OF_CHOICE_GBL_SA2401197592 (2).pdf 804.75 kB · 69 downloads

Thanks for the flyer.  If I understand it correctly, the 'new' P2P is basically the old "D2D w/o flights" but it also drops the executive transfer (which you could drop for a credit) – the new name better describes this package.  The new Essential is like the old P2P, but also drops shore excursions so hopefully at an even lower price – but they do need to clarify the page 2 vs 3 issue of whether you also lose "Multiple dining options and beverages" (so you can only eat in La Terrazza and drink tap water?) and "Butler service, onboard gratuities and Wi–Fi" because that totally changes the experience and makes it NOT a luxury cruise.  I'm hoping page 2 is correct... [that's what I have attached below]

Current Fare Categories:

CurrentSilverseaFareCategories.thumb.png.37d89f4c4d35e43a511682c811ef194c.png

New Fare Categories:

NewSilverseaFareCategories.thumb.png.9340bdb9eb243facd5598a7dfc54036a.png

• Like 5

The problem I have with D2D is that flights are not booked until pretty close to the cruise.  I did it once and instead of a direct flight from CLT I get a connection from CLT to JFK and then Europe.  And since the flights are booked late, you really have few options.  That is enough to push me to P2P.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jmmiva said:

The problem I have with D2D is that flights are not booked until pretty close to the cruise.  I did it once and instead of a direct flight from CLT I get a connection from CLT to JFK and then Europe.  And since the flights are booked late, you really have few options.  That is enough to push me to P2P.  

SORRY meant push me to D2D w/o flights

If my analysis is correct above, I like this new format.  It's clear what you get at each level and the names fit the packages.  But it does mean that the current P2P fares will only be available (as Essentials) on "selected voyages closer to sail date" – but that makes the strict cancellation policy less of a risk.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for the flyer.  If I understand it correctly, the 'new' P2P is basically the old "D2D w/o flights" but it also drops the executive transfer (which you could drop for a credit) – the new name better describes this package.  The new Essential is like the old P2P, but also drops shore excursions so hopefully at an even lower price – but they do need to clarify the page 2 vs 3 issue of whether you also lose "Multiple dining options and beverages" (so you can only eat in La Terrazza and drink tap water?) and "Butler service, onboard gratuities and Wi–Fi" because that totally changes the experience and makes it NOT a luxury cruise.  I'm hoping page 2 is correct... [that's what I have attached below]

Current Fare Categories:

CurrentSilverseaFareCategories.thumb.png.37d89f4c4d35e43a511682c811ef194c.png

New Fare Categories:

NewSilverseaFareCategories.thumb.png.9340bdb9eb243facd5598a7dfc54036a.png

Sounds like a Royal Caribbean move.  I think they are trying to attract (or retain) the legion of newly disgruntled Celebrity cruisers.  

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

With more high-end options becoming available it seems SS no longer wants to compete in the ultra-luxury category.  By offering a “bargain” no-frills product it seems to cheapen the entire brand.  It was always part of the attraction of SS that everyone had a butler, all dining venues were available, it was all-inclusive.  That is no longer true.

I’m sure that is a mistake with the x placements on page 3.  Meals, drinks, butlers would have to be included or else there is going to be so much work for bar waiters checking every passenger’s cruise card.  And who would deliver room service?

However, many current SS passengers will love to book without shore excursions, so that is a positive move for some.  (Caveat: depending on the fare price.) Anyway, this category is well suited to last minute bookings where many excursions are already booked out.  Which also means that the cancellation fee is also irrelevant.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Port Power said:

I’m sure that is a mistake with the x placements on page 3.  Meals, drinks, butlers would have to be included or else there is going to be so much work for bar waiters checking every passenger’s cruise card.  And who would deliver room service?

However, many current SS passengers will love to book without shore excursions, so that is a positive move for some.  (Caveat: depending on the fare price.) Anyway, this category is well suited to last minute bookings where many excursions are already booked out.  Which also means that the cancellation fee is also irrelevant.

Yes, hope you’re correct and that I jumped the gun on my critique.  

Edited by Gourmet Gal

It appears that the on-board experience will continue to be the same for all passengers, so count me as one vote in favor of the Essentials fare - other than the fact that pre-paid gratuities seem have been removed.  

Gratuities still listed as included...Found under General Information-Cruise Fares, Fees ......"Cruise fares cover certain shipboard services including: suite accommodations, butler service in any suite, unlimited Wi-Fi, onboard meals and entertainment, 24-hour dining service, beverages aboard ship including select wines, champagnes, spirits, soft drinks, water, tea and coffee, shore excursions (Included Shore Excursion Programme, see detail below), gratuities aboard ship (except spa)."

• Like 1

My understanding, per all the communications received from Silversea, is the Essentials will continue to be all-inclusive onboard, minus the excursions.  It appears that someone in marketing mismarked page 3 of the flyer and it was sent to agents without a proper proof.