Butler service

HSBC

For us it’s very simple, we ask for coffee every morning.  He or she brings it first thing, we never double lock are door.  If the bedroom door is closed they set it on the dining room table -if were up not a problem, if we’re not up still not a problem.  We just set the laundry bag near the front door, they handle it.  If we need dinner reservations it’s never been a problem.  Maybe one party during a cruise and if we don’t feel like going to one of the restaurants we do room service.

53 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Complimentary. 

It has been a while but my memory (which has certainly been known to fail me) is that caviar was available but was an extra. Very nice to know that it is complimentary. Do they serve it with the entire set up- toast points or blini, etc? 

12 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

It has been a while but my memory (which has certainly been known to fail me) is that caviar was available but was an extra. Very nice to know that it is complimentary. Do they serve it with the entire set up- toast points or blini, etc? 

Yes,  caviar is served with all the "fixins".  I prefer it simply with good butter and a baguette.

A good butler anticipates.  Came back from a wet and muddy hike to find this set up along with a hot bath already drawn.

Screenshot_20230918_085237_Gallery.thumb.jpg.eda8dc13325b28810ef60d0d780a4970.jpg

Returning from dinner this is what my messy muddy shoes looked like, without asking.

Screenshot_20230918_085213_Gallery.thumb.jpg.73aba669c1e6509eda26ceda7d30a498.jpg

You can ask for canapés every day.

Screenshot_20230918_085154_Gallery.thumb.jpg.617f7167a7669d954fe09972d906d813.jpg

😀

4 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Yes,  caviar is served with all the "fixins".  I prefer it simply with good butter and a baguette.

A good butler anticipates.  Came back from a wet and muddy hike to find this set up along with a hot bath already drawn.

Screenshot_20230918_085237_Gallery.thumb.jpg.eda8dc13325b28810ef60d0d780a4970.jpg

Returning from dinner this is what my messy muddy shoes looked like, without asking.

Screenshot_20230918_085213_Gallery.thumb.jpg.73aba669c1e6509eda26ceda7d30a498.jpg

You can ask for canapés every day.

Screenshot_20230918_085154_Gallery.thumb.jpg.617f7167a7669d954fe09972d906d813.jpg

🫠That all looks lovely. Hope that our butler is as attentive. They aren't always quite as good as your's obviously was! 

My favorite is that breakfast is delivered to our suite and arranged on the table with all of the napery but without a sound.

I get up around 5 anyway so I unlock the suite door, close our bedroom door, and go back to bed. Food is scheduled to arrive between 7 and 8. 

I think the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wakes me shortly after the butler leaves. 

This is of course, an indulgence, decadent but delightful. 

• Like 1

I recently came back from the Dawn and in this case, I had asked for a specific thing. I had been upgraded to a Silver Suite and there were 8 folks I had become friends with and wanted them to come over for Canapes/appetizers and Champagne one afternoon.

After speaking with my Butler I told him what I wanted and when and he assured me everything would be delivered on time. Guess what? It was all late. I had invited everyone for 4:00 and the butler had told me it would all be set up about 3:45.......so 3:45 comes and no Butler.......4:00 my friends started arriving and still no food.......finally about 4:20 he shows up. Not very acceptable to me. I had called the Butler on the phone........I was not very happy.

Just not the way I thought things were supposed to go, especially when you have it set several days in advance. I spoke with Head of Housekeeping  about it. 

Oh, the bubbly was in the fridge and there were multiple glasses so I asked one of my friends to open the bottle.....and I poured. But overall it definitely did not go as planned. I wanted everything out on the table when everyone arrived.......that never happened.

5 hours ago, 5waldos said:

We have it every night at 6PM with the fixin's. I will say that SS does not know how to make blinis as they are terrible but they are just extra calories that we don't need!!

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

There are those that can't even reach that standard 😉

Our first Silversea cruise was in the Galapagos shortly after they began service there. The staff was not well trained yet and many resented the change from a tip based cruise to an all inclusive. Silversea was required to keep the local crew onboard. I had had far better service on Carnival. Rooms not serviced by 4 in the afternoon, blankets taken and never returned, reception never answering the phones, I could go on and on- I sometimes wonder why we gave them then another chance. 

17 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Not sure how that equates to manners. They look prettier in odd numbers but why not 4 of things? Or 2 of things. 

An aside:

Ever wonder why gift sets of tableware in Japan come in sets of 5 vs the 4 more common elsewhere in the world?  It's a cultural thing.  4 = death = unlucky. 

That said, setting a 3rd place for what is clearly a dinner intended ONLY for two assumes too much.

2 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

Is caviar available on the Expedition Ships, specifically the Cloud in Antarctica?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

If so, is it only available through your butler and room service, or can you order it in the restaurants or lounges?.

We had it in The Restaurant.  Don’t know if it’s available in a lounge, but imagine it would be if you were to ask once on board.

21 hours ago, 5waldos said:

A cabin for two people and everything offered in 3s. Why? 

My sister, traveling solo, was with us in the connecting cabin. The butler added a third just in case she came over.

It is true, not all butlers are created equal. Their service can depend on how many cabins they have and how demanding the occupants are.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5waldos said:

The late afternoon appetizers are only mentioned as available in the upper cabins.  I am going to assume that they will appear if requested even in steerage? 

They are provided daily in steerage if you are granted VIP status. I'm not sure if they are available to non VIP pax if you request them though.