Just Booked Horizon

sparks1093

Our experiment with Celebrity didn't last too long. We had compared a Carnival cruise and a Celebrity cruise (southern Caribbean itineraries in 2/2025) and after adding in to the Carnival fare what was included in the Celebrity fare Celebrity was less expensive overall for either sailing, so we booked them. Fast forward until last month and Celebrity cancelled our cruise due to changing the ship's home port. When I checked the prices we compared a 7 day Celebrity S. Carib with an 8 day Carnival and Carnival won that battle handily this time. So now we are going to Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. I visited Aruba in the late '70's in the Navy and have always wanted to go back. Now I just have to two years to go back. Any must do excursions on the ABC island itinerary? Any suggestions on Horizon?

Edited by sparks1093
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

Snorkeling (or scuba diving) on Bonaire.  The beaches or a Jeep safari on Aruba. 

The Jeep safari on Aruba was nice except for the cactus hairs I picked out of my skin for a week after. The wind was blowing non-stop (heads-up it's windy on Aruba) and I kept feeling little stingy ***** type sensations. Finally on one pit stop, I was able to see a cactus hair sticking out of a finger. Hands and arms were covered with them!! Guess I became the dart board for cactus hairs blowing in the wind. So random and not fun.

But the Jeep ride was fabulous and the island was pretty.

Brought back several local beers that I hauled home to DH.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 2

We're doing that cruise on Horizon 11/2024!  We have a Havana cabin, and this has been booked for like 2.5 years lol, so really looking forward to it.  Just one more year to go lol!  If I pick up any useful nuggets, I'll report back in...next year.  🤣

We were in Aruba and Curacao in 2019, absolutely loved it, but didn't do anything share-worthy.  Some snorkeling and beaching, but it was gorgeous there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Our experiment with Celebrity didn't last too long. We had compared a Carnival cruise and a Celebrity cruise (southern Caribbean itineraries in 2/2025) and after adding in to the Carnival fare what was included in the Celebrity fare Celebrity was less expensive overall for either sailing, so we booked them. Fast forward until last month and Celebrity cancelled our cruise due to changing the ship's home port. When I checked the prices we compared a 7 day Celebrity S. Carib with an 8 day Carnival and Carnival won that battle handily this time. So now we are going to Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. I visited Aruba in the late '70's in the Navy and have always wanted to go back. Now I just have to two years to go back. Any must do excursions on the ABC island itinerary? Any suggestions on Horizon?

We are going in April and have been numerous times to these islands as it is one of our favorite cruises. Overall our favorite excursion in Aruba was the trikes and then going to Bugaloo on the pier for late lunch and drinks. Curacao must see is the old city with its history and colorful homes of course the walk across the people's bridge. Bonaire we just usually have one of the local cabs take us for a tour of the island salt piles and flamingo's then lunch at Karel's

• Thanks 1

Beach! 
We took a cab from the port to the Hard Rock (which is now closed). From there we walked across the street to the Hilton, through the open air lobby and out to the beach. One of the best beaches in the world. Warm water, perfect sand, just all around fabulous. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

...The wind was blowing non-stop (heads-up it's windy on Aruba) and I kept feeling little stingy ***** type sensations...

So funny - not sure what Mods or the system thought I entered, but the "*****" was "prickly" like prickly pear or pin *****. Is that a naughty word? Legit question, I didn't know prickly is a bad word. 🤔

We'll see what happens to this post. Not looking to get sanctioned, just trying to understand 🫣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

You get what you pay for

For non-snorkelers - we loved the glass bottom boat tour in Bonaire.

Aruba - we loved Kukuu bus tour and beach.

Curacao - we did a beach day and would prob choose a different location next time. 

Going back to Aruba and Curacau twice next year! Can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, High on the Seas said:

With some of there last minute changes and cutbacks you may get less than you pay for. 

Maybe, but not that we've experienced in the three cruises we've taken since they started back up.

We did a week in Aruba in 2018 and did a lot of great excursions. If you’re a diver, that is always a good option. I loved the ATV tour. Not sure if that is the same as the jeep safari mentioned. The one I went on were 2 person ATVs and you get to drive your own. It is very dusty but so much fun (wear clothing that can get dirty!) I also did a wonderful snorkel tour that is very near the cruise port: https://www.tranquiloaruba.com/ It was the highlight of the week for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I certainly hope so.

I think Horizon looks like a great ship. We are on it in October but doing the 6 day (for our 10th wedding anniversary). I would love to do the 8 day to the ABCs too! Their Havana is what drew me. I'm glad I booked a long time ago because it seems like those rooms go quite fast!

• Like 1

I went to Aruba for 5 days in May. We went fishing one day (1/2 day) and the pirate boat with drinks and snorkel. The wind blows constantly. On both excursions the boats stayed close to shore because of the rough water due to the wind. We only caught 4 fish on the trip. The Pirate boat remained close to the shore due to wind and rough water. I had difficulty snorkeling with the waves. I did swing on the ship swing and that was fun. The food was ok (chicken). The hotel beach was great. Beer is expensive and many times they only have 7.5 oz bottles. Find a place with draft and you will probably get a 10 oz cup. Beach bars usually have 2 to 3 happy hours a day. Something like 12-2, 4-6 and 7-9. I did go to Aruba in Oct 2022 on the Horizon (Halloween cruise). It was a blast. I did a walking tour of the downtown area that was interesting with a lot of historical information. Also took a $5 city bus tour that went from downtown to the beach near the lighthouse and returned downtown. Not a bad ride for $5 a person. You get one stop and can get back on for $5 total.

Aruba do the Jolly Pirates Sail and Snorkel was SO much fun. I highly recommend it. Just take a cab to the beach area and have a great day.

We did a tour of Bonaire; we were supposed to do a snorkel excursion with Seacow but it was cancelled the weak before we left. We set up the tour w the groups outside the port area. they are set up under the portable canopy tops. They were about $35.00 per person and very informative.

• Like 2

Aruba we went to De Palm island.  We loved it there, and the lunch buffet was great.  Would definitely go there again.

Curacao: we did the walking tour.  If you're interested, I can get the link for the self guided tour we did.  It includes several museums you could go into, or skip.

Horizon:

Make sure you do the skyride first chance you get.  Depending on weather, it may not be open all that much.  It is amazing.

The shows are top notch.  Unfortunately, the Liquid Lounge is not.  Best seats are probably the first row of the balcony (just not side view), and you need to get there early for them. Anything not first row will be hard to see from, unless you are really tall.

Check out the flavor of the day everyday at the gelato station.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:13 AM, sparks1093 said:

As always with any Vista class ship, if you can afford to splurge a little extra definitely go for a Havana cabin. It is well worth the private "infinity" pool, hot tubs, loungers, and bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1