Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

1 hour ago, Cruisy Guy said:

Here is the perfect visa application form. It is in fallible PDF form so you can fill it out on your computer and just print it out. Exactly the same as form required by Ottawa embassy.

https://embassyofegypt.se/onewebmedia/Visa Application Form (updated).pdf

Thank you for posting.  I'm glad to see that we are all sharing info and helping one another ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Yes, it certainly seems like a money grab.

It usually reflects how difficult/expensive we make it for citizens of the other country. Many years ago I visited Jordan, and the visa for Canadians was 3 times the cost to Americans. And I remember a similar difference for a Turkish visa; I decided to spend a 12 hour layover in the lounge rather than spend a lot of money for a few hours in Istanbul. 

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

It usually reflects how difficult/expensive we make it for citizens of the other country.

And this is the point of the change in the Egypt Visas. The Canadian government has made it difficult, if not impossible, for Egyptian nationals to visit our country. Decisions are made arbitrarily and without recourse for or explanation to the Egyptian applicant.

Update from Celebrity is good news (except for me who already applied for Visa!)

• A note for Canadian Guests: The 2023 changes regarding Canadians needing to apply for an Egyptian visa in advance applies only for entry by air. The authorities re-confirmed entry via cruise ships, for transit call purposes, guests can still apply for a 72-hour visa upon arrival as noted above.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DanceMomma said:

Our cruise stops in 2 Egyptian Ports, so multiple entires.

Does anyone know if $150 covers both single entry and multiple entry?

While the fee structure shown on the website will no longer apply to Canadians, it does reflect more than a doubling of the fee for a multi-entry visa. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happening for Canadians.

Types of visa and fees

The type of visa you must have is defined by the Arab Republic of Egypt and Visa Regulations, and relates to the purpose of your travel.

1. Tourism Visa: Issued for single or multiple entries to persons whose nationalities require visas to enter Egypt.

Visa type Visa fees
Single entry visa (Tourism) 25$
Multiple entries visa (Tourism) 60$

https://visa2egypt.gov.eg/eVisa/FAQ?VISTK=M50K-SF75-5UF1-2B94-ND9U-ZXZH-7VOQ-FCLJ-RXP5-EX4S-J169-XEMA-1TEA-MX4Y-LT8Y-O39H

5 minutes ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Update from Celebrity is good news (except for me who already applied for Visa!)

• A note for Canadian Guests: The 2023 changes regarding Canadians needing to apply for an Egyptian visa in advance applies only for entry by air. The authorities re-confirmed entry via cruise ships, for transit call purposes, guests can still apply for a 72-hour visa upon arrival as noted above.

I'd think that the peace of mind not worrying about what might happen would be worth the price of your visas and the drive to Ottawa.

Hopefully Celebrity received accurate information from their Egyptian government interlocutors.  

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

I'd think that the peace of mind not worrying about what might happen would be worth the price of your visas and the drive to Ottawa.

Hopefully Celebrity received accurate information from their Egyptian government interlocutors.  

Yes, hubby and I just discussed... at least we're covered if it changes again!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

We've been told the same (TA talked to them today) for our Seabourn cruise in November.

2 hours ago, DanceMomma said:

Does anyone know if a specific size of return envelope is required?

Or, as long as it can fit the passports, any is fine?

I just got a reply from the Egyptian Embassy. They state that single entry visas are $150cdn per person and that multiple entry visas are $$205cdn per person.

Seeing that we are on a cruise and are returning to the ship each night, does that constitute multiple entry?

23 minutes ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

I don't trust Celebrity any more. I've gotten too much conflicting information from them. As a matter of fact, I tried calling them yesterday and today. Wait times on their customer service line was too long so I opted for an automated call back. Never did get a call back either time!

mmm thats interesting.. this is Azamara's response today !

Hello,

It does mean Canadians will have to secure their visas ahead of the cruise and before they are in Egypt. We will not be able to assist when they are onboard due to this change.

Kind regards,

Azamara Customer Service

image.png.d6927d846b76781c07ccc16a47671f48.png

7 minutes ago, 3JCruiser said:

mmm thats interesting.. this is Azamara's response today !

Hello,

It does mean Canadians will have to secure their visas ahead of the cruise and before they are in Egypt. We will not be able to assist when they are onboard due to this change.

Kind regards,

Azamara Customer Service

image.png.d6927d846b76781c07ccc16a47671f48.png

This is yet another example of how hopelessly behind Azamara is now that they have been sold to an investment company.  Celebrity and Seabourn are apparently aware of the latest developments as they apply to cruise ships.  Azamara is not.  For our upcoming October 27th Azamara cruise with stops in Egypt, Azamara has yet to inform us that e-visas will be void after October 1st.

4 minutes ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Yes, and Embassy told us yesterday that visa IS needed for cruise passengers. Clear as mud!!

I guess what they told you is technically correct, as Seabourn will get us a "transit visa".  The question is, for passengers arriving by cruise ship (for visits within Egypt of less than 72 hours),  can the cruise ship still obtain these upon arrival?  Three cruise lines Seabourn, Celebrity and Silversea) have confirmed yes, but unfortunately Azamara appears to be not able or willing to do this.

12 minutes ago, WhiteRockMike said:

I guess what they told you is technically correct, as Seabourn will get us a "transit visa".  The question is, for passengers arriving by cruise ship (for visits within Egypt of less than 72 hours),  can the cruise ship still obtain these upon arrival?  Three cruise lines Seabourn, Celebrity and Silversea) have confirmed yes, but unfortunately Azamara appears to be not able or willing to do this.

I guess time will tell if the cruise lines are correct or not

I would not want to chance  it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Where did Celebrity post this update? We are cruising in Oct to Egypt and didn't receive this update.

I called Celebrity and the agent repeated that message word for word after conferring with his supervisor.

Against my better judgement and not wanting to make the journey to Ottawa, I am going to rely on his word.

However, if this turns out to be untrue, you will never see such a public display in your life.

Edited by Cruisy Guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cruisy Guy said:

I called Celebrity and the agent repeated that message word for word after conferring with his supervisor.

Against my better judgement and not wanting to make the journey to Ottawa, I am going to rely on his word.

However, if this turns out to be untrue, you will never see such a public display of my wrath on board a ship, ever.

Lol

you wouldnt get on the ship 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's see, notoriously questionable information from a couple of cruise lines is that cruise passengers don't need to get visas ahead of time. But the Egyptian embassy and the Canadian government say you do.

Hmmm, which one am I going to listen to... 🤔

• Like 7

Hey Canucks!

We are all in the same boat, ummm ship. Thanks for all the info, sadly this page is 1 day too late for me. Btw, checked the official embassy site and travel visa pops the same fuzzy page not fillable. But the fee worries me , tho if i come to think my US$60 and my CAN$ 150 are about there. ! government 1 fee, i was not expecting a refund!.

Hope I get to board with what I get my  cruise from Rome on  Oct 1. Time is of essence. I may need therapy with all the aggravations, see you at the bar !

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Lol

you wouldnt get on the ship 🤣

Not necessarily true if the cruise line actually thinks that you don't need a visa. If you really did, what happens on arrival in Egypt? Is the ship cleared but you can't get off, or is the entire ship denied clearance?

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Let's see, notoriously questionable information from a couple of cruise lines is that cruise passengers don't need to get visas ahead of time. But the Egyptian embassy and the Canadian government say you do.

Hmmm, which one am I going to listen to... 🤔

Classic example https://www.cruisehive.com/miscommunication-strands-more-than-50-cruise-guests-at-port/110084

• Like 3