July, Aug or Sept 2024?

gzmtlock

We're looking to celebrate my 60th in 2024 with our dream Alaska cruise.  I'm fairly sure I want to do one-way, likely southbound.  My birthday is in July, but we don't have to sail that month.  It's SOOO much cheaper if we wait until late August or September.  Other than cost, what are the pros and cons of late summer travel vs height of the season?  

Have you looked around the board? These sort of questions are discussed very frequently.

Cooler and wetter the later you get in the "season"...we had slush on Labor Day a few years ago. Into later September, things start to close down, primarily businesses.

Just a quick comment from someone who lives in the Interior of Alaska.  While Southeast Alaska is in a Pacific Northwest rain forest, and it rains ever month, just ask yourself how much you enjoy heavy pelting rain.  While a cruise in SE Alaska in late August or September (or -- perish the thought -- October -- which some lines are offering!!) may be tempting, just ask yourself how much you enjoy wet feet.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gzmtlock said:

We're looking to celebrate my 60th in 2024 with our dream Alaska cruise.  I'm fairly sure I want to do one-way, likely southbound.  My birthday is in July, but we don't have to sail that month.  It's SOOO much cheaper if we wait until late August or September.  Other than cost, what are the pros and cons of late summer travel vs height of the season?  

I'm doing Alaska for my 60th in September which is when my birthday is as well.  We are doing RCCL Radiance 7B tour southbound.  It was a heck of a lot cheaper in September but that's when I was born so gotta go for it.  One of my favorite places I've visited in the world.

Personally I find late May to Mid June my sweet spot. Cooler weather but drier and lots of snow still on the mountains. Nice long daylight hours. Just returned from two weeks late Aug, 1st week poured all week, 2nd decent. FYI this was my 32nd trip to Alaska.

• Like 1

For an Alaskan cruise season, historically May has the least amount of rain and every month after has historically had more rain. So May is the driest month, with June having a little bit more rain and each month after increases the amount of rain with September and October being the worst. September and October have had really bad storms when the ship can't leave the pier. Or - as weather is unpredictable, it can be perfect. 

I would look at May. You will find great prices then. It is cooler but IMO - prettier due to snow on the mountains.

After saying this - anything can happen in Alaska. It is a rain forest.

I would not travel in September.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

We did the last RCI cruise of the season this past September roundtrip Vancouver. We had one day of mild rain day in Ketchikan otherwise it was fine. Of course mid to late May (north bound) is our favorite month/time but when taking the whole extended family September just worked for us.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:24 PM, gzmtlock said:

If you are sailing south you will want some time on land.  August is a good time for Denali.  Late August may give you fall colors around Anchorage.   Sail mid August if the prices are good.   Remember that the days are quickly getting shorter in August and September.  You want the daylight for scenic cruising.

I am on an Alaska cruise right now (first day)  , but my second cruise to Alaska and first one was LATER in September.  We had FANTASTIC weather on our previous September cruise…sunny skies,etc.  so far on this cruise it is overcast but not actually raining.  No guarantees on weather ever.  I like that it is not only less expensive in September but also less crowded.  Personally rainy weather doesn’t bother me much.  Go with schedule that works best for you and hope for the best knowing that it might not have been better at a different time.  I am enjoying break from 90+ temps where. I live 

• Like 1

Just got back from 6 weeks near Anchorage..Spent most of the time there and south on the Kenai  Penninsula. Had about 5 days total of light rain and rest of days the weather was great. Been up there over 30 times and each year is different. Be prepared for anything.