Princess Land Tour Advice Needed Pls

I posted this on the Princess page, but I am hoping that someone here might be able to help...

There are several CC posters who have taken the land tour of Australia before the cruise around NZ. They have kindly taken time to answer questions before, and I am hoping to hear from all of them again.

We are on the land portion in October, flying from Sydney to Uluru, Darwin, and Cairns, most likely, according to Princess, on Qantas.  

From Princess website: Land Tours/Australia:
For domestic Qantas flights within Australia, you are allowed to check one piece of luggage per person, not to exceed 50 lbs per bag. One piece of carry-on baggage is allowed, not to exceed 15 lbs.

Hand-Carry Tote/Backpack
    •    You'll want this bag with you every step of the way, so include only the essentials.
    •    Items to pack in this bag include travel documents, photo ID, important medication, toiletries, camera, insect repellent, and any extra layers of clothing such as jackets or hats.
    •    Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
    •    Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches in Australia.

OUR QUESTIONS:

I understand the weight restrictions, but please note the last line above--is it really true you cannot take the usual wheeled (15#) carry on onto motorcoaches???

With one case in the belly and one carry on, can I also bring a one personal item (a purse??)

Were your cases measured and or weighed before flights--both the ones going into the belly of the plane and/or the carry ons?

The Bob Wood Group that heads up our land tour will not answer questions. They refer us to Princess. Princess reps know nothing specific--only what is printed, which I can already read. We are looking for people who have done this land tour to give us some advice.

Thanks for your time!

6 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

I posted this on the Princess page, but I am hoping that someone here might be able to help...

There are several CC posters who have taken the land tour of Australia before the cruise around NZ. They have kindly taken time to answer questions before, and I am hoping to hear from all of them again.

We are on the land portion in October, flying from Sydney to Uluru, Darwin, and Cairns, most likely, according to Princess, on Qantas.  

From Princess website: Land Tours/Australia:
For domestic Qantas flights within Australia, you are allowed to check one piece of luggage per person, not to exceed 50 lbs per bag. One piece of carry-on baggage is allowed, not to exceed 15 lbs.

Hand-Carry Tote/Backpack
    •    You'll want this bag with you every step of the way, so include only the essentials.
    •    Items to pack in this bag include travel documents, photo ID, important medication, toiletries, camera, insect repellent, and any extra layers of clothing such as jackets or hats.
    •    Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
    •    Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches in Australia.

OUR QUESTIONS:

I understand the weight restrictions, but please note the last line above--is it really true you cannot take the usual wheeled (15#) carry on onto motorcoaches???

With one case in the belly and one carry on, can I also bring a one personal item (a purse??)

Were your cases measured and or weighed before flights--both the ones going into the belly of the plane and/or the carry ons?

The Bob Wood Group that heads up our land tour will not answer questions. They refer us to Princess. Princess reps know nothing specific--only what is printed, which I can already read. We are looking for people who have done this land tour to give us some advice.

Thanks for your time!

You're bulky luggage is put in luggage storage under coach . You're purse is kept with you and soft carry on ,no hard wheeled cases not enough room under your legs or in coach storage compartment .

53 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

You're bulky luggage is put in luggage storage under coach . You're purse is kept with you and soft carry on ,no hard wheeled cases not enough room under your legs or in coach storage compartment .

Thank you. Can you tell me how recently you took this land tour? 

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Yes we know the large pieces go under the coach but on other land cruises, a few people had two small pieces instead of a large one.   There was never not enough room underneath on any of our land tours in the past.  How many people were on the coach with you?   And I have seen people hold their carry ons in their lap.    My husband does not have a purse and only has a small soft wheeled carryon.  His meds, tablet, important papers, etc are in there and he wants them close to him so he is willing to hold it on his lap.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Thank you. Can you tell me how recently you took this land tour? 

Sorry to say, there aren't many down here that would specifically do that tour. Princess have sold it to you, so it really is up to them to be able to answer specific questions. I am aware that has been a running battle, and Bob Woods group I have never heard of apart from these posts. We have been to Sydney, Darwin, Uluru & Cairns, but not all in the same year let alone the same tour.

We have had similar situations on Amtrak sleepers and coach tours through the Canadian Rockies. Larger bags live underneath (or luggage car), and you take a day bag (what they are calling a tote) to your seat. We adjust our luggage and day bag at each hotel stop. In our case, the bag is usually fabric and lives within our luggage when not needed on ships & flights etc. A zip-up fabric satchel adds little weight, is flat when empty and they are ideal for docs, ipads, snacks, pills, a book or magazine etc. It also doubles as my "purse" on flights if I need extra carry space.

You can take your wheeled 15lb (7kg) on the planes. They might not be 100% strict with weight, but they will be on size. Our domestic carry-on rollers are a smaller size than international ones, so take note of the size limits. On smaller planes, an international carry-on will not fit in the overhead bins, nor under the seats. I have no idea of what planes you will be flying on.

Good luck. Hopefully the beaty of the countryside will make up for the lack of info you have been given.

• Like 1

"Sorry to say, there aren't many down here that would specifically do that tour. "

Yes, and that is why I asked. I wondered if Hogbay's comment was from experience, which is what I am looking for.

I am dismayed that you as an Australian have not heard of our tour group. Sigh. Chalk up another question about this whole tour....

I still have the same questions....can I take a wheeled carry for the MOTORCOACH portions, and can I also take a personal item like a purse onboard the flights besides the carry on that is allowed at 15#..... 

32 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

"Sorry to say, there aren't many down here that would specifically do that tour. "

Yes, and that is why I asked. I wondered if Hogbay's comment was from experience, which is what I am looking for.

I am dismayed that you as an Australian have not heard of our tour group. Sigh. Chalk up another question about this whole tour....

I still have the same questions....can I take a wheeled carry for the MOTORCOACH portions, and can I also take a personal item like a purse onboard the flights besides the carry on that is allowed at 15#..... 

Your purse on flights, yes.

Australian domestic airline flights are very strict about luggage weights and sizes. Make sure your wheeled carry on is the correct size (smaller than in the US). The three main Australian airlines are Qantas and Virgin and Jetstar, and you can check their domestic baggage restrictions on their websites.  You are allowed to carry a purse (we call it a handbag) as well as a carry on bag. The carryon will go in the overhead lockers on the plane, and you'll have to put the handbag under the seat in front for take off and landing

The carryon will have a 7 kg weight limit. These days, I have found that it is often weighed and the size checked when checking in.  If it is overweight or over size, it will be treated as a second piece of checked luggage, and you will have to give it to them to put in the hold, and pay dearly for it.  Jetstar is a low cost carrier and they are particularly strict about carryon weight and size. They make a lot of money charging high extra fees at check in.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage.html

https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/articles/baggage-allowance

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/travel-info/baggage/carry-on-baggage/

On the coaches, the overhead racks are usually way too small to hold a wheeled carryon, so it will go in the bins underneath, and you won't have access to it during the travel.  Take a soft sided small bag that you can fold up inside your main suitcase, and use for essentials just when travelling on the coach

Edited by cruiser3775

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

As the group tour is designed to fit in with cruise ship passengers coming from overseas, it is not surprising that Australians do not know about the company or the tour.  If it is like all cruise ship shore excursions, it is probably much more expensive than a locally based tour company would charge.  You might like to compare it with one of the large Australian based tour company's offerings. Have a look at AAT Kings:

https://www.aatkings.com/

Note the prices are in Asutralian dollars, so much less in USD

Edited by cruiser3775

13 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

Checked out some reviews on Bob Woods Tour groups.  All reviews were excellent and the company is regularly used by cruise companies.

@dillpickle48Thank you for that. There is some comfort in it.

I do wish, however, they would be more forthcoming with answering our questions, or being more complete in the information they have put out, and most importantly, making sure the information is accurate. I. E. they state our large pieces of luggage will go by motorcoach from hotel to hotel while we travel by plane. Understanding the vastness of Australia, that seems pretty ridiculous. We have had to try to search for CC members who have been on this tour and rely on them for important information. 

13 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

they state our large pieces of luggage will go by motorcoach from hotel to hotel while we travel by plane

You are wondering if this information is accurate?   I doubt it. Sydney to Yulara (for Uluru) is a minimum of about 32 hours driving. You'd need two drivers in shifts.  Even the flight takes 3.5 hours. Darwin to Cairns is only slightly shorter.

So you would get to Yulara and your suitcases would be arriving a day later? And the same from Darwin to Cairns. Seems very unlikely to me. I can understand the tour company wanting you to fly with only carry-on baggage, because it would save them a lot of money on the airfares, but driving your suitcases overland such a long distance doesn't make sense.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

@dillpickle48Thank you for that. There is some comfort in it.

I do wish, however, they would be more forthcoming with answering our questions, or being more complete in the information they have put out, and most importantly, making sure the information is accurate. I. E. they state our large pieces of luggage will go by motorcoach from hotel to hotel while we travel by plane. Understanding the vastness of Australia, that seems pretty ridiculous. We have had to try to search for CC members who have been on this tour and rely on them for important information. 

In reality, your luggage will be on your flights. While you are touring to Uluru on your motorcoach, your luggage will be taken directly to your hotel by another vehicle instead of bouncing around all day on our variable roads - are you staying in Yulara? 

When I say I had never heard of Bob Woods, I don't mean that in a disparaging way. They are set up for international tour groups, and likely sold to the cruise lines as a wholesaler and not direct to the public. As they are invisible to our Aussie travel itineraries, I just cant pass on any info about them. I am sure they offer an excellent tour, or the cruise lines wouldn't use them.

We now carry ultralight day backpacks with us when we travel, just in case we need them. They are very lightweight so live in our suitcases all the time.

These would be ideal for you to use during your land tour as once you arrive in Australia you could transfer all the things you want to take on the plane with you for the relatively short hops between stops, and check in your normal wheeled carry-ons. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

In reality, your luggage will be on your flights. While you are touring to Uluru on your motorcoach, your luggage will be taken directly to your hotel by another vehicle instead of bouncing around all day on our variable roads - are you staying in Yulara? 

When I say I had never heard of Bob Woods, I don't mean that in a disparaging way. They are set up for international tour groups, and likely sold to the cruise lines as a wholesaler and not direct to the public. As they are invisible to our Aussie travel itineraries, I just cant pass on any info about them. I am sure they offer an excellent tour, or the cruise lines wouldn't use them.

Thank you. Yes, we are over night in Uluru, as well as Darwin and Cairns.

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We now carry ultralight day backpacks with us when we travel, just in case we need them. They are very lightweight so live in our suitcases all the time.

These would be ideal for you to use during your land tour as once you arrive in Australia you could transfer all the things you want to take on the plane with you for the relatively short hops between stops, and check in your normal wheeled carry-ons. 

Thank you. I will look into those.

10 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

You are wondering if this information is accurate?   I doubt it. Sydney to Yulara (for Uluru) is a minimum of about 32 hours driving. You'd need two drivers in shifts.  Even the flight takes 3.5 hours. Darwin to Cairns is only slightly shorter.

So you would get to Yulara and your suitcases would be arriving a day later? And the same from Darwin to Cairns. Seems very unlikely to me. I can understand the tour company wanting you to fly with only carry-on baggage, because it would save them a lot of money on the airfares, but driving your suitcases overland such a long distance doesn't make sense.

A bit of a misunderstanding....the Tour Company/Princess are saying no wheeled carry ons on the motor coaches. We are allowed to check a bag and to take a carry on (wheeled ok) onto the flights.

Since the luggage transportation information provided to us is ridiculous (as you confirm), we are wondering if the no-wheeled-carryons-in motorcoaches is accurate information. Wheeled is just so much easier to deal with than carrying something.

4 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Thank you. Yes, we are over night in Uluru, as well as Darwin and Cairns.

Your luggage is likely sent as freight with a courier company contracted to Princess to save on airline charges. The freight industry gives huge discounts to their advertised consumer prices for corporate customers. The Bob Woods group looks to be an experienced tour company which no longer deals with the public, just selected cruiselines.

2 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

A bit of a misunderstanding....the Tour Company/Princess are saying no wheeled carry ons on the motor coaches. We are allowed to check a bag and to take a carry on (wheeled ok) onto the flights.

Since the luggage transportation information provided to us is ridiculous (as you confirm), we are wondering if the no-wheeled-carryons-in motorcoaches is accurate information. Wheeled is just so much easier to deal with than carrying something.

Wheeled carryons will not fit in the overhead racks on a coach and may also be deemed as too dangerous and lethal in a collision, thus illegal.

I would just use backpacks or similar that can be strapped on to your wheeled hold luggage with the handle extended. You will then be able to carry those on the bus.

Just make sure your wheeled carryon is small enough for the domestic flights within Australia. It is a much smaller size than allowed on US flights.  Check the websites for the three major airlines I listed in an earlier post to get the maximum size and weight allowed.

• Like 1