Falmouth Excursions

Terre

Port area  itself, while not authentic is  very nice.. nice places to eat and shop.( hand made clothing, music etc)

We would not bother to venture out..Did once and X excursion was very casually disorganized!

Last year when we were in Falmouth we thought we would stroll into the town and see the historical sites and community. We could not walk more than two minutes without someone pressing us to take their tour, or visit their shop, or something similar. As soon as we could politely get away from one person, another one was there to pick up the pressure. We finally just turned around and went back to the ship. We realize times are extremely difficult in most cruise stop communities, but we just wanted a casual walk around the town. I suggest booking an excursion of some sort before you arrive, or just staying on the ship like we will be doing in October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.  That's kind of what we thought.  We've stopped there lots of times before and never left the ship, but were thinking about it this time, but most likely not.

Edited by Terre

• 2 weeks later...

I did my all time favorite excursion at Falmouth! Princess offers a visit to a Rastafarian village and it was fantastic!

if you have any interest in Reggae music or the Rasta culture you would love it. 
Falmouth itself doesn’t have a lot to offer to American tourists but it’s probably less dangerous than, say, St Louis. 

• Thanks 1

MrSchwump, Falmouth is our first port on our February 18, 2024 Panama Canal cruise and some in our group might like to try the Rastafarian village excursion. Please tell us a little more about it. How long did it take to get to the village? What was the cost? What were the best parts of the day? Thanks!

10 hours ago, MrSchwump said:

I did my all time favorite excursion at Falmouth! Princess offers a visit to a Rastafarian village and it was fantastic!

if you have any interest in Reggae music or the Rasta culture you would love it. 
Falmouth itself doesn’t have a lot to offer to American tourists but it’s probably less dangerous than, say, St Louis. 

MrSchwump, Falmouth is our first port on our February 18, 2024 Panama Canal cruise and some in our group might like to try the Rastafarian village excursion. Please tell us a little more about it. How long did it take to get to the village? What was the cost? What were the best parts of the day? Thanks!

You drive in a small van, and go about an hour, up to Montego Bay and then inland for a short distance. One of the Rasta elders meets the group and leads you up to the village. You have to wade across a small creek and up a woodland path. 
Our group was 10 or 12 in total and you were taken to various areas. One was where woodworking was done, one featured soap making, another had a man making drums. They told you about their culture and beliefs (vegetarian, don’t eat salt, Haile Selassie as a diety, etc). 
Finally you are served an Ital meal, their version of Kosher meaning it conforms to their dietary requirements. It was good and quite interesting. 
At the end there was a drum circle. Everyone had a chance to play along as everyone sang “Rivers of Babylon”. Very cool!

In reality, this “village” was more of a commercial recreation. They offered handmade stuff for sale, as well as Bob Marley t-shirts. Still it was a great experience. The Rastas were very friendly and authentic and answered everyone’s questions. I’d say we were there 2-3 hours. No one smoked ganja but there was a giant plant right in the center of the yard. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MrSchwump said:

You drive in a small van, and go about an hour, up to Montego Bay and then inland for a short distance. One of the Rasta elders meets the group…

Thanks for the details. Do you remember what the cost was and how you signed up for the tour?

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a review that said you could pay 25 or 35 per person at the port and there was a trolly train that will take you through downtown Falmouth. It was around 1 1/2 long. Does anyone know if this is still available? Not through the ship you would do it at the port through a vendor there? Thanks 

• Like 1