Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Here is Ontario website for fall colours 

i find the best time for around Lake Ontario is Thanksgiving , the second Monday in October 

https://www.ontarioparks.com/fallcolour

We had a feeling that would be the best time.  Ponant has another ship doin the lake in early October. 

12 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I highly recommend sailing through the archipelago into Stockholm on a small ship. You get amazingly close for hours, much like this.

That would really be nice never sailed around Stockholm.    Years back I was there over a weekend on business.   I took a tour boat out to and ancient Viking settlement island for a long hike.   We were warned to be on time for our return as it was the last sailing of the season. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Jim,

Loving the pics as usual. Enjoying following along. Don't blame you and Iain for venturing from Celebrity. 

There will be differences on every cruise line but we are finding that if you embrace the differences as a new experience your eyes will be open to a new world. 

it really feels like having your first date after the end of a 25 year marriage.  You start realizing that stepping out of our comfort zone allows for personal growth. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, miched said:

Isn’t green considered a color?🤷‍♂️🤗

It is a little early for the fall colors.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We were commenting yesterday how incredible it would be to see the fall colors.   We have seen a couple trees that were bright red at the tops. 

For us in California.  Green and Bright Orange (California Poppy) is our winter color. 

• Like 4

I am surprised that no one has suggested the smoked whitefish that is available in the northern cities of Michigan and Canada.   If you still have a chance I would recommend trying some.  If lucky they may serve it on board.   It may be worth suggesting it to the chef to purchase some when in a port 

https://gandernewsroom.com/2022/08/03/smoked-whitefish-michigans-oldest-dish-is-a-northern-michigan-staple/

Years ago when  people would travel north they would take orders from friends and bring it back for them. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were commenting yesterday how incredible it would be to see the fall colors.   We have seen a couple trees that were bright red at the tops. 

For us in California.  Green and Bright Orange (California Poppy) is our winter color. 

Did you ever do the New England to Quebec cruise? 

Memories:

We were on Connie doing that itin for her 1st time..Amazing fall colors  in Quebec..over night..  Tea at the Chateau,  Montemarcy( ?)  Falls..short hike..  Maple syrup time..Fall colors galore!

Going up the Saguenay fjiord  was spiritual.. there was a church on the hill along the  shore...The ship served chowder on deck in bread bowls..and the music they played was Ave Maria..everyone out on deck! Many in tears! Just one of those special days!

The Cap had a ball..he .sounded the horn in the narrow chasm as he skillfully turned the ship around. 

The final bonus was seeing  hufe groups of whales  so close up as we went into the St Lawrence.( rough sea there)

sorry I digressed....but if you want fall colors book that cruise!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, miched said:

I am surprised that no one has suggested the smoked whitefish that is available in the northern cities of Michigan and Canada.   If you still have a chance I would recommend trying some.  If lucky they may serve it on board.   It may be worth suggesting it to the chef to purchase some when in a port 

https://gandernewsroom.com/2022/08/03/smoked-whitefish-michigans-oldest-dish-is-a-northern-michigan-staple/

Years ago when  people would travel north they would take orders from friends and bring it back for them. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Will be sampling that in the next 2 weeks.  Road tripping to Sault St Maria and the UP! 

Cheers

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was asked earlier what time we would be sailing up the St. Clair.

The daily indicates we should be sailing past Detroit at approximately 2:30 this afternoon.  

46 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

Might be a nice day here. 

Yeah its sunny and a little cool out so feels like Autumn today

1 hour ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Being born and raised in the UP for the first 22 years of my life I rather have a pasty, cudighi, pickled egg with a glass of Guilt Edge beer before the whitefish.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, dock said:

@hcatyouve convinced  me to look at that itinerary. Sounds magical.

Do you recall if it was after Cdn TG, ie about Mid October? 

View from my backyard last TG. 

1ADBEC75-ECB4-4FB6-9C8E-2A356716C6CC.jpeg

Wow....love this seating area..great views

Our Connie was Sept 26, 2004 

*Anniv Cruise) A few wks later would have  been

better for leaves!   But we did go north towards Laurentians.

Forgot that it included Halifax..love the Public Gardens there..  Had a great  dinner in Ocean Liners.  Made friends with a couple from Grt Brtn..still keep in touch.

wow..Almost 20 yrs ago! Blessed to still be Cruising!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Even on a 'large ship' it's amazing.  We did it on RCL Brilliance of the Seas in 2018 and it was amazing. 

Nice! We were supposed to do it on the Royal Princess in 2016, but they took us to Nynashamn instead, requiring us to take a bus into the city and a train back. The claim was that it was too windy. The wind never appeared.

I imagine that the larger ships take a different path than the smaller ones, as we were very close to land on both sides at times. I can't fathom larger ships getting between some of the islands. 

No matter the vessel, the archipelago is stunning!