Jim_Iain - Le Bellot 9/11/2023 - Live Post - First timers on Ponant

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can tell we will probably have to go for the Raspberry and Pecan.    Rasberry is Iain's favorite while I'm into all types of nuts.

Almonds are nuts.  The benefit of the almond Kringle is that the almonds are ground into a smooth paste [like marzipan, and who doesn't love marzipan???], so you don't get all those little bits [raspberry seeds or pecan pieces] stuck in your teeth.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Almonds are nuts.  The benefit of the almond Kringle is that the almonds are ground into a smooth paste [like marzipan, and who doesn't love marzipan???], so you don't get all those little bits [raspberry seeds or pecan pieces] stuck in your teeth.

Yea... love them.   My daughter lives in the Central Valley where one of their main crops is Almonds.    It's incredible to see in the spring when all the trees are in bloom.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have to share a picture of Le Bellot with you.  Thank you Pam for sending to me.

She and her husband live in a small town on St. Lawrence River between Cornwall and Brockville, Ontario.    Le Bellot passed their house yesterday and they took the Brochure Quality Picture from their boat.    Thank you..

Pam is a long time member and lurker on CC but doesn't post.   Maybe we can encourage her to post if we promise we won't bite.   I'm amazed at the number of people that write me about never posting.   Many are turned off by the snarkyness of some posters.  

LeBellot.thumb.jpg.50c6c91da88a8b499f186820548bd50b.jpg

Agree that there are a few who enjoy stirring the pot and harming some folks enjoyment. I have built up quite a list of people that I have blocked, it is a very useful feature here on CC.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Agree that there are a few who enjoy stirring the pot and harming some folks enjoyment. I have built up quite a list of people that I have blocked, it is a very useful feature here on CC.

That is one feature I love on CC.    Those that are rude and constant wieners win a place on my ignore list.

• Like 4

Ponant's Customer Service has been incredible.   Unlike many cruise lines where you have to log in and download you cruise documents.    30 days prior to the cruise they called and asked if I wanted documents snail mailed to me or electronic delivery.   I chose Electronic which quickly arrived via my agent.

The travel documents are personalized and are 88 pages long.  

The also gave the exact location on where embarkation will take place -   A major difference for us is that Embarkation doesn't begin until 4PM -   Hopefully our hotel will store our bags as check out is 11:00 AM.

image.thumb.png.db74c26750aac91ab947ddddd749e5fe.png

Googling showed 500 Harbor Drive as as the whole pier so was a little confused.   I'm sure there will be signs or will just follow the others that will be there to board.

Last night when Le Dumonot d'Urville was in port I checked out where they were docked -   That makes it really clear.   

image.thumb.png.c82e2ea90feab43e3b41ab5ab9c8c6ba.png

• Like 1

Milwaukee is a much larger City than I had envisioned.   With a population of 575,000 I had not envisioned so many high rise buildings.  

Le Dumont d'Urville set off last night about an hours late and their webcam gave a beautiful sunset view.

Can you tell -  I'm getting excited.

image.thumb.png.44201f856ddf66eb6eb848df75f57ebd.png

• Like 7

Le Bellot is heading to Milwaukee to greet us.   The lakes looks smooth.    I'll be interesting to see how these ships handle the seas (lakes).    I've read some post that say without stabilizers you feel it more than on a large cruise ship.

image.thumb.png.24f80f3df35e2b901412c7cbc2e04ec5.png

image.thumb.png.12c505fc67e8cf646526d3f457940ba1.png

• Like 1

Jazz

Thanks for the clarity.    I don't think I've watched that video and had to watch it twice before I saw you pointed to 2:07.    I wonder if some that got sea sick started the rumor as the reason. 

I found a really good brochure on Ponant's Site -

The cruise ship experience: busting the myths

https://escales.ponant.com/en/preconceived-ideas-about-cruises/

image.thumb.png.ee9e8267b6576218a822de23918c26d8.png

Our standard methodology is to pack for 7 days regardless of the length of the cruise and have laundry done often.   That was really easy on Celebrity with Zenith Free Laundry, pressing and dry cleaning.    I was concerned until Iain reminded me that with the Status Match on Ponant we also get free Laundry.   Yea...

18 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was concerned until Iain reminded me that with the Status Match on Ponant we also get free Laundry.   Yea...

It's good to be a Grand Admiral! 

Check one thing about the free laundry though. In some places they say that it's limited to 5 pieces per person per day.

But when we were on Le Lapérouse in March they assured us that it was unlimited. And in the Indonesian heat and humidity, that was definitely needed!

27 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

and Ponant does a very nice job with it.

That is really a treat.    Are they usually able to return it within a day.    I'm hoping to get my dinner jacket pressed before the first Formal night.

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's good to be a Grand Admiral! 

Check one thing about the free laundry though. In some places they say that it's limited to 5 pieces per person per day.

But when we were on Le Lapérouse in March they assured us that it was unlimited. And in the Indonesian heat and humidity, that was definitely needed!

That's fantastic.    I know I can live with 5 pieces a day.   They often put limits like that in place because some have abused the privilege.   We are more the type that don't push boundaries.  

I can only imagine the laundry needs for Indonesia.   I use to work in Singapore and would often go through 2-3 dress shirts in a day.   I really don't handle heat/humidity well and often have to take salt tablets.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Are they usually able to return it within a day.

I think so.  Both time we sent it out in April my notes show receiving it back while we were at dinner – the first time it must have been within a few hours because we had only gotten our hiking pants muddy that same afternoon; the other time I don't show when it went out but no surprise so I'm assuming we were used to the quick service]

• Thanks 1

Signing on to follow! Will be interesting to read your thoughts vs Celebrity.

We have that Caribbean sailing for 30 days this winter and then Japan next May all on Celebrity. Looking for alternatives going forward. 

Bet you wont get the lemon tarts on this sailing! 

😂

Thanks again for posting!

Cheers! 

We are up and bustling around in final prep for our 11:00 flight.  

Getting an Uber or Lyft in Silicon Valley is really a breeze.  

With dynamic pricing I check both to see who is cheaper.   I really don’t notice any difference in service and many drivers work for both. 

Checking at 8:00 gives Lyft the lead

IMG_6496.thumb.png.350467ace71957752f3013a98c5a8c34.png

IMG_6495.thumb.png.b36db150f438f6745e570ea4887cd493.png

26 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Nice job on packing light! Giving me some competition. 

Wishing you smooth flights and connections. 

We do have our carry on in addition.  I have a Backpack with computer and electronics and Iain has a Gym Bags for his things. 

9 minutes ago, countess5 said:

Signing on to follow! Will be interesting to read your thoughts vs Celebrity.

We have that Caribbean sailing for 30 days this winter and then Japan next May all on Celebrity. Looking for alternatives going forward. 

Bet you wont get the lemon tarts on this sailing! 

😂

Thanks again for posting!

Cheers! 

I’m sure Ponant doesn’t have those little lemon tarts but I bet have a nice selection on French pastries.  

Many say their fresh baked Croissants and breads are incredible. 

• Like 1