Cruise Critic Private Message

Well, on the roll calls, I frequently see people post their private emails to arrange tours.  I would not necessarily recommend that, but there may be a way to post a temporary email, and then delete it later so your email does not remain publicly posted forever on the Internet!

56 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

We have tried to send a private message to a fellow cruiser, but the private message system is disabled. Anyone have an idea on how to send a private message?

Only moderators and admins can send private messages on Cruise Critic. That is so they can contact each other. The work around I have used is a throwaway gmail account that I post the address in this form…..(name) at gmail dot com

Startmail has aliases that are good for one hour.  I use it a lot if I sign up for a special offer and so on.  It is an annual subscription though.  

Example:  mhcwecfsfc@use.startmail.com

Edited by Ret MP

Some years ago Cruise Critic did have a private message feature. It was useful for direct communications with fellow CC members. I used it a few times. I noticed it had gone away a couple of years ago but it had probably been gone longer than that. I assume it was disabled because it was abused.

Edited by Jcol5786
spelling

1 hour ago, Jcol5786 said:

Some years ago Cruise Critic did have a private message feature. It was useful for direct communications with fellow CC members. I used it a few times. I noticed it had gone away a couple of years ago but it had probably been gone longer than that. I assume it was disabled because it was abused.

I have been on Cruise Critic since 2003 and there has not been a private message feature from 2003 to now. 

Regarding the Cruise Critic message board Message feature, it is available for use by Administrators & Hosts ONLY. We can use it with each other and to members. The Message feature is disabled for members and has been I think since Cruise Critic was part of AOL over twenty-five years ago. I do know for sure it was that way when I joined Cruise Critic in 2005.

In the olden days when the Cruise Critic message board used vBulletin software, if you and another member had your own registered identities for certain instant messaging networks and placed the info in your Cruise Critic profiles, you would then be able to contact each other via those networks. Waaaay back then you could click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Profile and then scroll down to the Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members section. There you would see the following:

Instant Messaging

You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.

• ICQ Number 
  • AIM Screen Name 
  • MSN Messenger Handle 
  • Yahoo! Messenger Handle 
  • Skype Name

Once you entered your registered identity info of one of those networks and clicked the Save Changes button back then, your instant messaging network logo would then appear in all your Cruise Critic posts with your join date & post count. You and other Cruise Critic members with the same instant messaging network would be able to click the logos appearing on Cruise Critic posts to contact each other via the network.

However, those days are loooong gone now that Invision Community software has been used by the Cruise Critic message board since October 2018.

Hope this additional information (and little history lesson from Memory Lane 😀) will be helpful! 

Host Kat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 8:03 AM, 1025cruise said:

Cruise Critic does not, nor has it ever to my knowledge, supported private messaging on the boards.

Not true - I have been using private messages for years! In 2016 we established a group of 40 people thru our roll call and set up many pre-cruise dinners and private tours. Same was done in 2019 with an Asia cruise and established a group of 50!    Now it seems cc is forcing us to disclose private information to connect to people!  This is ridiculous! 

35 minutes ago, Cisterna said:

... Now it seems cc is forcing us to disclose private information to connect to people!...

In what way?

As I mentioned before, in the past certain instant messaging networks could be accessed through the Cruise Critic message board. However, the feature is no longer available since the change from vBulletin software to Invision Community software in October 2018.

• Thanks 1