How Hard And Fast "At least 6 months till expiration" for Passport Acceptance?

Oof. That is tough.

To be honest, I doubt there is a way to "find out for sure," because if you call, they will tell you to follow policy. And while my gut says that you would probably be okay, I would certainly not recommend showing up and hoping for the best.  I also understand your skepticism over having enough time to renew now. Again, I would suspect you would probably get it in time, but it's far from a sure thing. 

And, as has been pointed out above, the birth certificate & driver's license option is a good backup. 

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Can't argue that one.  

If that's the standard, then we should all travel with our BC

I actually have a scan of BC, DL, passport, GE card, medical insurance, and eye prescription.  Scans may not be accepted, but those bits and bytes don't weigh much.

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I actually have a scan of BC, DL, passport, GE card, medical insurance, and eye prescription.  Scans may not be accepted, but those bits and bytes don't weigh much.

I do exactly the same thing, everything in the cloud on my work server, encrypted enough to pass federal privacy laws.

Understand that CBP policy and cruise line policy aren't always the same.  Same goes with airlines who have been known to be more strict that actual immigration policy to avoid fines if they make a mistake.

The people doing the validation in the terminal are low level entry position and generally contractors.  Across the US and the world there are thousands of them and it's very difficult to expect low level 3rd party entry positions with high turnover rates to understand complex rules.   If US passport on a closed loop then this policy, if Canadian on closed loop then that policy, if UK on a closed loop then another policy, if WHTI passport then some other policy, if not, and from this region, some other policy and so on.

It's just easier to train low level positions six months validity or raise a flag.  Raising a flag doesn't mean you can't sail, it just means escalate it so that someone who can understand complex rules can made the call.  

Edited by twangster

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

no need for a backup, the passport is valid.

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you are a US citizen, and are returning to the same port that you leave from, and you aren't visiting Cuba, Martinique, or Colombia; then there is no 6 month rule for your passport, it only needs to be valid the day you return. 

Regardless of what people “think”. What matters is the carrier’s policy. And you may run into some who will want to enforce the policy.

Accepted Identification for U.S. Citizens

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise ends. A U.S. Passport book is required for sailings that depart from homeports outside of the U.S.
  • For sailings departing from U.S. homeports, an official US state-issued Birth Certificate is also accepted. Guests age 16 and older that present an official US state-issued Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government.
  • Thanks 1

With the cruises we have booked, I have been trying to figure out when to renew.  They expire spring of 2025 and we are cruising frequently before then.  One cruise will need to be with birth certificate and license.  My birth certificate is (obviously) in my maiden name and my license with my married name.  Do I need to take the bridging document (marriage license)?

8 hours ago, WoodstockGirl said:

I'm on a 4 day Caribbean cruise beginning Dec. 22nd.

My passport expires June 14th, 2024.

Will it be accepted?

How can I find out for sure?

I'm not confident I have time to get a new one, given the unusually long delays.

Woodstock Girl

Just an FYI, I applied to renew my passport on July 17th and received my new passport on August 23rd. Friend of mine recently got their’s renewed in a little over 6 weeks.