Unusual Swimwear Question

Travelling2Some

I am on my third go round with skin cancer so I just purchased UPF50 swimwear for our upcoming winter Caribbean cruises.  This consists of long sleeved top and leggings that are quick dry and manufactured as swim wear.  Of course I expect to look a bit unusual but I am wondering if I will be told that I'm not allowed to use the pools or hot tubs because the employees mistakenly think I am wearing regular street clothes?  I plan to keep the tags that came on the clothes in my beach bag to show them that this is actually sold as sun protective swimwear.  Anyone have any experience with this issue? 

I have never had that happen. I have a long sleeve swim shirt UPF50, although I wear long men's bathing suit for a bottom (comes to my knees). I've never been told I can't wear them into pools and hot tubs. Just tell them it's a swimsuit and made of polyester/lycra/spandex and not cotton, if they do ask. Bringing the tags is also fine, as they don't take up space.

Edited by Ellis1138
forgot a word
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I am on my third go round with skin cancer so I just purchased UPF50 swimwear for our upcoming winter Caribbean cruises.  This consists of long sleeved top and leggings that are quick dry and manufactured as swim wear.  Of course I expect to look a bit unusual but I am wondering if I will be told that I'm not allowed to use the pools or hot tubs because the employees mistakenly think I am wearing regular street clothes?  I plan to keep the tags that came on the clothes in my beach bag to show them that this is actually sold as sun protective swimwear.  Anyone have any experience with this issue? 

If anybody questions it they're an idiot.  Skin cancer is a real thing and I'm pretty sure almost everybody understands that.  I have some swim shirts like that and, while they look goofy to some, have no concerns wearing them to keep from bursting into flames when the sun is out. 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thanks for the responses.  I know some Muslim and Orthodox Jewish women wear similar.  I remember stories about incidents on European lines with American men being told they could not wear board shorts in the pools since speedos are the norm.

I don't think anyone will care what you are wearing. Have you seen the things people wear? hahaha! You will be the most normal of them all.  Just relax and have a good time. 

• Haha 1

Not on a cruise but at a water park I was not permitted to wear my spf top. This was over 10 years ago however and I think they have become more normalized now but still it was absurd. 

There is a lot of different spf fabric from chlorine resistant swimwear to much thicker legging fabric. If it’s swimwear I would not see a reason for them to question it.

5 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

SPF swimwear has become common. I see a lot of people with the long sleeve tops especially. You'll be fine.

• Like 1

On NCL, I have never worn a bathing suit. I wear athletic shorts and one of them is designated my bathing suit for the cruise. I've never had an issue. I haven't worn my rash guard in a pool, but I've seen plenty of other folks wearing a top in the pools with no issue. 

On slides, I could understand they might be concerned with a top...though I don't think you'll get any comments from NCL about it. Have a great time! 

One word of warning about swimsuits: on several of the water slides they allow NO metal...no attachment, zipperss or fasteners on swimsuit, no jewelry.  And they don't check until you have walked all the wasy up all those stairs.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, DwayneG said:

One word of warning about swimsuits: on several of the water slides they allow NO metal...no attachment, zipperss or fasteners on swimsuit, no jewelry.  And they don't check until you have walked all the wasy up all those stairs.

THIS ^^^^^^^

I've seen some very lovely modest swimwear and no one (with any class) says anything.   I prefer bike short length bottoms and a long sleeve SPF swimwear coverup over my top. You will have no issues; hope you have a great time!

Just sharing, that I found some great sun safe options at  caly psa (one word) .

I have to wear full covering in the sea due to an allergy to Jellyfish that is building towards anaphylaxis and 2 of my aunts have had skin cancer so I know all about keeping covered up. The first time I wore a rash vest to a water park in Majorca 20 years ago I had an argument with one of the lifeguards who worried it would get caught in their machinery but once I told him I wasn’t doing any of the slides and it was tight fitting just like a swimsuit he let me keep it on. 
long sleeve swimsuits are seriously in fashion right now and surf/sup leggings are growing in popularity even in Ireland. I used a long sleeve rash vest and leggings on my last cruise but am now switching to a long-sleeve swimsuit and leggings so I don’t have to worry about the top coming loose in the water. 
you are not going to have issues in the pools and hot tubs on the ship, there’s enough ladies wearing the swimsuits with a miniskirt type overlay and the men in boardshorts that loose fabrics are not a concern unless you go for the slides. 

• Like 1