Flying Tips for Canadians doing a Transatlantic from Europe to US

Boxersma2

6 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I wonder if they had insurance that kicked in for those cases or was it just having FlightEase (or equivalent)?

I kinda envisaged if it happened (and couldn't get to any further port) that maybe getting my flight refunded and maybe some FCC (if the cruise line felt generous) and then maybe something from our Credit Card Insurance, although that caps pretty low at $1500/pp .

Really hoping not to find out though.....

Not as far as I know , Flights by Celebrity couldnt not get them to the ship 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

For example, if you miss embarkation in Miami and the first port stop is Key West, I believe that you could embark there. On the other hand, if you do board in Miami and decide cruising isn't for you, you can't just quit the cruise in Key West.

I too have not tested either of these scenarios. 😉

I googled the question as I thought  you could not board in Key West

"f you miss your ship in Miami and the first port of call is Key West, Florida, you will be unable to join your ship until it docks in a foreign port, like Mexico or Jamaica.Feb 27, 2023"

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I remember  a few year back a lady missed her flight from Austin to NYC   & could not board until the ship hit Halifax  on day 5   of a 10 day cruise

Not sure what happened   whether her  insurance kicked in as it was  weather related

I hope I never have to test  it out  😉

delete

Edited by Fouremco

17 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I tripped on a CC article that says Carinvals Fly2Fun gives you FCC. I;'d be happy of that was the standard policy for all Carnival lines, but haven't actually read that anywhere 🙂

Edit: found it ...

FLY2FUN PROTECTION

All Fly2Fun bookings come with flight protection — free! That means you’re covered in case weather conditions or flight changes delay your arrival to the ship. We’ll make alternate flight, hotel and/or ground transportation arrangements and do everything we can to get you to the cruise port in time to board the ship, at no expense to you. If no viable options are available to get you to the ship before departure at the homeport, you will be given a Future Cruise Credit to use toward an alternate Carnival cruise

Edited by rodndonna
more info

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I googled the question as I thought  you could not board in Key West

"f you miss your ship in Miami and the first port of call is Key West, Florida, you will be unable to join your ship until it docks in a foreign port, like Mexico or Jamaica.Feb 27, 2023"

Well, that settles that! I'm never too old to learn new tricks!😇 Thanks!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

This was found on Celebrity's site - 

If the flight gets cancelled or delayed and Celebrity Cruises is unable to get the guest to the ship, we will offer a Future Cruise Credit and refund the cost of the flight.

Oddly for Holland (FlightEase) I see no mention of FCC is missing the cruise.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

For example, if you miss embarkation in Miami and the first port stop is Key West, I believe that you could embark there. On the other hand, if you do board in Miami and decide cruising isn't for you, you can't just quit the cruise in Key West.

Additionally, you could not catch up the ship in KW and complete the remainder of a closed loop cruise back to Miami unless there is a port call in Cartagena or the ABCs.

• Like 2

I just spent hours and days  looking for flights from Halifax and home from FLL. Celebrity could not come near the prices I found. I got a cheap flight home with American airlines but going over I ended up booking a return for only $200 more than a one way. Oops . Forced to fly to cruise in Oct 2023 ( London) and home from Paris in the spring . This means I will be taking another TA at that time and no have my return flight

14 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I just spent hours and days  looking for flights from Halifax and home from FLL. Celebrity could not come near the prices I found. I got a cheap flight home with American airlines but going over I ended up booking a return for only $200 more than a one way. Oops . Forced to fly to cruise in Oct 2023 ( London) and home from Paris in the spring . This means I will be taking another TA at that time and no have my return flight

Isn't air travel fun???😇

• Haha 2

😎 We are doing transatlantic from Rotterdam to Fort Lauderdale 2024.. Are you saying we should check out one way flights using different airlines? Flying from Ft Lauderdale is no issue just from toronto to Amsterdam and then Train to board at Rottetdam. Thanks Anyone done this?

40 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

😎 We are doing transatlantic from Rotterdam to Fort Lauderdale 2024.. Are you saying we should check out one way flights using different airlines? Flying from Ft Lauderdale is no issue just from toronto to Amsterdam and then Train to board at Rottetdam. Thanks Anyone done this?

We used KLM  & AC for  YYZ to AMS    but also see what the  cruise line can offer  price wise

for both outbound & inbound

If you can choose the flight  even pay a deviation fee   to do so I would  & fly in  a day or more early

Amsterdam is worth a few days 

38 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

I'd suggest you check out multi-destination fares with Air Canada and Air Transat before opting on a one-way for the YYZ to AMS portion of your travel.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

You have multiple options. You can book an open jaws ticket into AMS and back from FLL with the same airline; you can book two separate tickets, one to AMS and one from FLL, either on the same airline or on two different airlines; you can book directly with the airline(s) or through your crude line. Or you can go to a travel agent and ask them to find the best combination. I like doing the research myself, but I have the time and the inclination to do so.

I'm partial to KLM, but would consider any of the airlines flying to AMS.

2 hours ago, liamur14 said:

Too early to book what is probably a fall TA in 2024 

but here is an example of pricing this year , AMS is the closest international airport to Rotterdam 

you would need to add baggage to these flight 

IMG_5996.pngIMG_5997.thumb.png.5ff53155c331190a76d68ed26ca65374.png

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer