Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

Internet Update

Should have said that after 1 or 2 days, connectivity improved significantly.

I went to internet manager early on, who helped establish account, and put an icon shortcut on my homescreen, to easily go online.  This is also used to sign other person out, since we only have 1 login at a time (Olife).  Basic included internet does not allow podcasts, at least I could not get it to play.  Don't think streaming would work either.  I think O wants you to upgrade service for a charge.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Internet Update

Should have said that after 1 or 2 days, connectivity improved significantly.

I went to internet manager early on, who helped establish account, and put an icon shortcut on my homescreen, to easily go online.  This is also used to sign other person out, since we only have 1 login at a time (Olife).  Basic included internet does not allow podcasts, at least I could not get it to play.  Don't think streaming would work either.  I think O wants you to upgrade service for a charge.

Yes, you need to upgrade to get the streaming ports opened.  The upgrade only opens those ports, but does not have more bandwidth, so the speed is the same.

Streaming eats up bandwidth, so O is trying to limit the number of streaming users with its upgrade policy.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ketchikan 

Took George Inlet Crab Feast tour.  Port is very far, about 45 min each way, nothing there.  Included a stop, panning for gold; was fun part of tour.

Not a crab enthusiast.  Not a feast.  To me, just a crab lunch.  You could have as many as you wanted, depending on how adept at extracting crabmeat, given timetable.  Dungeness crabs, real fresh and tasty.

Due to port distance, no free time in town was allowed; was disappointed because it was a nice place.

Overall, a nice tour, except port distance, a negative.  Another pax told me that NCLH helped establish the way out of town port, and all its brands call there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Here’s a screenshot from the Marine Traffic site showing Regatta’s current location & track to arrive in Victoria tomorrow morning.

IMG_7230.jpeg

Thanks @Astroflyer see you and @techteach soon  (I think I recognize your name also from our roll call) let’s hope Feta and the other passengers current and future have smooth sailing ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 3:09 PM, PirateShark said:

We just got our Bronze gifts this trip too.  The totes will come in handy as carryon bags since we’re shipping luggage home 😊.  Oceania does a pretty good job with milestone gifts.  HAL just gives out pins until you get way, way up in status unless that has changed.  Biggest perk is the OBC going forward and increasing over time.

We loved getting the bronze award type of tote bags.  I agree with you that Oceania does a pretty good job with milestone gifts.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

We loved getting the bronze award type of tote bags.  I agree with you that Oceania does a pretty good job with milestone gifts.  

Unless you are in that donut hole of having turned Platinum a couple of months before they rolled out the current bag & hat Milestone awards. They didn't give us a Platinum one because you get them on your Milestone cruises. So, we have to get to Diamond before getting one. Funny, but we should have 4, Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Unless you are in that donut hole of having turned Platinum a couple of months before they rolled out the current bag & hat Milestone awards. They didn't give us a Platinum one because you get them on your Milestone cruises. So, we have to get to Diamond before getting one. Funny, but we should have 4, Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum. 

Yeah   sucks

We hit a milestone  last cruise    but before the new goodies rolled out

No hats or bags for us  😒

25 minutes ago, gaeltrav said:

We were in the same situation on cruise #27. We just asked the OC Ambassador and they were in our stateroom that eveing

Yeah, we tried that, was flatly told no, but this was when the program was first rolled out. Maybe they've realized the stupidity of their initial position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 11:58 PM, Astro Flyer said:

We’re looking forward to our first O cruise after many days on Princess and were originally booked on this 20 day itinerary. We had to rebook & have an interior guarantee cabin on the 7-day Regatta sailing on 9/27. Looking forward to vicariously sailing with those of you on this cruise to learn more about an O cruise.

We're on the 27th also. I think we met on a meet & greet on Princess a few years back. I'd be interested in knowing what category of cabin you get with gty. 

8 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

May I ask if they still have slippers and beverages in your room? Do you know if you can make internet calls with the internet?

Robes, slippers and non-alcoholic beverages in your fridge are standard in all cabins on all O ships....I have made calls using WhatsApp while onboard.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

We're on the 27th also. I think we met on a meet & greet on Princess a few years back. I'd be interested in knowing what category of cabin you get with gty. 

Will let you know although having a G category GTY that’s what we’re expecting…your CC name does look familiar from a past Princess cruise. 

20 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

May I ask if they still have slippers and beverages in your room? Do you know if you can make internet calls with the internet?

In addition to WhatsApp, you can make/accept internet calls and send/receive texts using WiFi calling, if your phone and provider support it.  It doesn't need the person you are calling or texting to have a separate app, as it's treated like a normal phone call/text.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

In addition to WhatsApp, you can make/accept internet calls and send/receive texts using WiFi calling, if your phone and provider support it.  It doesn't need the person you are calling or texting to have a separate app, as it's treated like a normal phone call/text.

Thanks. Have been able to do this on Princess but not Carnival or NCL. We have a 94 year old in rehab that only does regular phone.

1 hour ago, basor said:

Robes, slippers and non-alcoholic beverages in your fridge are standard in all cabins on all O ships....I have made calls using WhatsApp while onboard.

Thanks. That's what I remember but so many things have changed. I remember you were able to specify in advance what you would want stocked in the fridge

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Yes Bev in fridge. We can ask for what you want, if available, the will bring it.

Slippers and robes, yes.

Wifi calling with internet, yes if phone has it. Must enable phone for wifi calling first.  My moto model, no, but wifes moto later model, yes.

Sorry, already answered, didn't see it.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Thanks. Have been able to do this on Princess but not Carnival or NCL. We have a 94 year old in rehab that only does regular phone.

Then you know the drill: turn on airplane mode to avoid accidentally connecting to the cellular at sea network and then turn wifi back on.

• Like 2