You can't make these things up!!

whitecap

I'm more shocked that you've not seen this behavior on your previous 50 cruises than seeing it now.  Telling people to not eat in line has been going on for more than I've been reading this board.  And then people with questionable hygiene practice?  Seen it, smelled it.  

I know you are disgusted, and I agree.  But on the other hand BTDT.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We avoided the Windjammer as much as possible on our Enchantment cruise in July.  It was worth the extra $$ to eat in Chops and we were lucky enough to be able to eat there in the morning as we had a suite.  The behavior I saw in the buffet made my stomach turn and I didn't want to touch anything in there.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jsf said:

After 35 cruises I think this just a sign of the times.Years ago I don't recall this type of behavior on cruises. I think people have just lost respect for each other.

Nope, it is the demographics. We have sailed twice in the last year on Disney, I could not believe the difference in passenger quality. Everyone is very polite, kids are well behaved, little to no cutting in line. One of my pet peeves is the amount of people taking videos in all the showrooms on Royal ships, on Disney I think the number is 0.  Things are changing on Royal and not for the better. That being said our next booked cruise will be on a Westbound Oasis Class TA. Hard to give up $2000 in voucher cocktails. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

I'm more shocked that you've not seen this behavior on your previous 50 cruises than seeing it now.  Telling people to not eat in line has been going on for more than I've been reading this board.  And then people with questionable hygiene practice?  Seen it, smelled it.  

I know you are disgusted, and I agree.  But on the other hand BTDT.

While I definitely see a decline in "civility", I don't think I've ever seen the behavior noted by the OP.  Not perfect, by any means, but over our 50 cruises, many on RC, no, nothing that bad.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Nope, it is the demographics. We have sailed twice in the last year on Disney, I could not believe the difference in passenger quality. Everyone is very polite, kids are well behaved, little to no cutting in line. One of my pet peeves is the amount of people taking videos in all the showrooms on Royal ships, on Disney I think the number is 0.  Things are changing on Royal and not for the better. That being said our next booked cruise will be on a Westbound Oasis Class TA. Hard to give up $2000 in voucher cocktails. 

Agree that demographics plays a major role in these activities.  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Using an image taken from somewhere else to rant, nice.

I was on Adventure a few weeks ago and everything was great.

Not sure who your reply was directed towards as I stated from the begin that I was only posted what had been observed.  I've not posted any images.

• Like 3

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Your entire first post is an image of text, not typed text.

Sorry that my using Word to write, edit and catch any misspellings is offensive to you.  Doesn't change a thing concerning my observations.  I'm so glad that your cruise was great.  Maybe the demographics on your cruise was different.  

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

While I definitely see a decline in "civility", I don't think I've ever seen the behavior noted by the OP.  Not perfect, by any means, but over our 50 cruises, many on RC, no, nothing that bad.

Lucky you.  Maybe more people are aware of hygiene after 2020, but seeing people eat something off their plate and then reach for a serving device has been around a long time.  I'm glad that other people are finally noticing, but to think this is new, well....

Again, these kinds of posts have been going on for a long time, and the whole wash your hands song is pretty old now.

It's also funny how demographics have changed to the worse as cruise fare prices have been on the consistent rise.   The term "trailer trash" generally refers to people with less means to do stuff, so they go to cheap vacations.  Last cheap cruise we've been on was a year ago.  And instead of price dropping as we get closer to the cruise, the prices have gone up.  So to project some kind of bad thing to what you want to think are poorer than you are is more likely very wrong.  

But if this ends up resulting in people canceling future cruises on Royal, I'm totally OK with that.  Whatever it takes to reduce the fares going forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RyderJ201 said:

LOL. No nice words like trailer trash have been used. I just cleaned it up a bit. 

And when I use the word demographic, I mean anyone that displays a lack of manners, hygiene, respect for others, control of their children, and that could be anyone.  Unfortunately, there are many on this cruise.  

3 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Lucky you.  Maybe more people are aware of hygiene after 2020, but seeing people eat something off their plate and then reach for a serving device has been around a long time.  I'm glad that other people are finally noticing, but to think this is new, well....

Again, these kinds of posts have been going on for a long time, and the whole wash your hands song is pretty old now.

It's also funny how demographics have changed to the worse as cruise fare prices have been on the consistent rise.   The term "trailer trash" generally refers to people with less means to do stuff, so they go to cheap vacations.  Last cheap cruise we've been on was a year ago.  And instead of price dropping as we get closer to the cruise, the prices have gone up.  So to project some kind of bad thing to what you want to think are poorer than you are is more likely very wrong.  

But if this ends up resulting in people canceling future cruises on Royal, I'm totally OK with that.  Whatever it takes to reduce the fares going forward.

You're right that the eating off a plate while in line has been going on for some time.  But it has now progressed to actually stuffing a French fry in their mouth and then licking their fingers, reaching down and picking up the next serving utensil.  It is disgusting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colesc15 said:

I give kudos to the lady exercising and flossing her teeth! 

Well then, you would have to also give kudos to the elderly man who sat at the table next to us and as he finished his meal, used his finger to run across his teeth to remove excess food.  But wait, he wasn't really finished, he walked over to the desert, picked up and replaced several selection before settling on a piece of pie.  Came back to the table, ate the pie and cleaned his teeth once again with his finger.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, whitecap said:

You're right that the eating off a plate while in line has been going on for some time.  But it has now progressed to actually stuffing a French fry in their mouth and then licking their fingers, reaching down and picking up the next serving utensil.  It is disgusting.

Do you honestly think that it's brand new that someone has done that??  Maybe it's the first time you've noticed it.  

Yea, it's disgusting, I get that.  But it's hardly new.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Do you honestly think that it's brand new that someone has done that??  Maybe it's the first time you've noticed it.  

Yea, it's disgusting, I get that.  But it's hardly new.

We have seen a lot of things on our cruises but can honestly say that never to the extent that we have seen it on this ship, this cruise.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Well then, you would have to also give kudos to the elderly man who sat at the table next to us and as he finished his meal, used his finger to run across his teeth to remove excess food.  But wait, he wasn't really finished, he walked over to the desert, picked up and replaced several selection before settling on a piece of pie.  Came back to the table, ate the pie and cleaned his teeth once again with his finger.  

Clean teeth are clean teeth! Worry less about what other people do and enjoy vacation more. 

• Like 2

Just now, colesc15 said:

Clean teeth are clean teeth! Worry less about what other people do and enjoy vacation more

Exactly what we have decided to do.  We will also ask for a change of utensils should these things happen by people in line in front of us.  

15 minutes ago, whitecap said:

That is nothing new, I have seen many people do that in the past.