Newark airport transfers to Brooklyn ???

barric

Are you flying in the day of sailing?  Most ride share options are to Manhattan.  Direct options from EWR to Brooklyn are few and get expensive.  Perhaps you can book a GO Airlink NYC shuttle to a hotel near the Manhattan Pier 11, no need to be staying there.  Then catch the short SB ferry ride over to Red Hook right near the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. 

https://www.goairlinkshuttle.com

Edited by Até

I am looking for an MSC sponsored transfer.  I  had an NCL transfer from NYC Manhattan terminal to Newark airport last year.  And I know that many cruise lines, including MSC, provide airport transfers, for a fee of course.  

Usually with MSC you need to call,  and additionally get a knowledgeable agent, to book transfers.  Getting one from EWR to Brooklyn terminal is unlikely, please update if you are successful. 

ETA: I've used GO Airlink NYC a couple times to Manhattan hotels. Set price shared shuttle (they also offer private car service, but booking to Brooklyn may not be possible) was right at EWR baggage claim and very simple/professional.   Uber and taxi are subject to significant cost inflation if you encounter traffic.  For online booking use a nearby hotel as drop point, then just tell driver to drop you at Pier 11.  Your ability to tote your luggage onto the ferry would be the only possible issue. Ferry drop is right at the cruise terminal. 

Additionally going through Manhattan skips trying the Verrazzano bridge. 

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, barric said:

I am looking for an MSC sponsored transfer.  I  had an NCL transfer from NYC Manhattan terminal to Newark airport last year.  And I know that many cruise lines, including MSC, provide airport transfers, for a fee of course.  

EWR to Manhattan cruise terminal is a VERY different situation from EWR to Red Hook terminal...

• Like 1

Anyone trying to reach the Red Hook Terminal on November 5 will need to allow extra time.

The Marathon not only impacts the Verrazzano Bridge,  but  other surface roads, and bridges throughout the five boroughs of NYC.

In particular, Fourth Ave is close for the race and that is a road that anyone coming from the east will need to cross to reach Red Hook.

Are you planning on using surface transportation from Middletown, NJ?

It is going to be a nightmare on November 5.

As a former NYC resident, if I was attempting to reach Red Hook from New Jersey  for a cruise, I would bit the bullet and go into Manhattan the day before and book a hotel on the east side below 59th Street (the farther downtown the better).

The room price will be astronomical because of the Marathon (may equal the cost of the cruise), but at least there is a chance of being able to reach the ferry to cross to Brooklyn. 

Hopefully, the ferry will be maintaining a normal schedule.

20 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The room price will be astronomical because of the Marathon (may equal the cost of the cruise), but at least there is a chance of being able to reach the ferry to cross to Brooklyn.

Or just go directly to Brooklyn the day before the cruise and stay there overnight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Or just go directly to Brooklyn the day before the cruise and stay there overnight.

Room prices will also be astronomical in Brooklyn. 

The problem is that any hotel in Brooklyn that is close to the port is going to be impacted by the road closures.

Anyone trying to reach the port will be dealing with the closure of Fourth Ave and the thousands of runners and observers along the  Brooklyn Fourth Ave route. 

If any car service is willing to go to the port from a local hotel, the rate hikes will be phenomenal.

Bus routes will be impacted.

There is a reason that the  cruise fares for this date are so low.

This is not a "I will just drive to the port and park" day.

15 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Room prices will also be astronomical in Brooklyn. 

The problem is that any hotel in Brooklyn that is close to the port is going to be impacted by the road closures.

Anyone trying to reach the port will be dealing with the closure of Fourth Ave and the thousands of runners and observers along the  Brooklyn Fourth Ave route. 

If any car service is willing to go to the port from a local hotel, the rate hikes will be phenomenal.

Bus routes will be impacted.

There is a reason that the  cruise fares for this date are so low.

This is not a "I will just drive to the port and park" day.

Wow, that’s a crazy situation.  Not being from the area I had no idea the expansiveness of the marathon.  

47 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Wow, that’s a crazy situation.  Not being from the area I had no idea the expansiveness of the marathon.  

47,839 finishers in 2022 (doesn't include runners who dropped out).   Thousands of spectators.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Thanks 1

Our plans from Atlantic Highlands  NJ are to take the Seastreak ferry to NY Pier 11 and then the NYC ferry to Red Hook.  Seastreak timing is aok.

Sure beats the horrific charges for parking at the Brooklyn port. 

• Like 1

From the Hugh Carry Tunnel (Formerly named Brooklyn Battery Tunnel)  from Manhattan you can get to the terminal without crossing the path of the Marathon which is down 4th Ave in Brooklyn well past Red Hook Area. It actually will pass some previously suggested subway stops to get off and take Uber. including Atlantic Ave and Fourth Ave intersection. 

On 9/9/2023 at 2:39 PM, barric said:

Our plans from Atlantic Highlands  NJ are to take the Seastreak ferry to NY Pier 11 and then the NYC ferry to Red Hook.  Seastreak timing is aok.

Sure beats the horrific charges for parking at the Brooklyn port. 

Where can I find the Seastreak and NYC ferry schedules?  Thinking about trying this way to get to Brooklyn Cruise terminal.  Thanks for any help.

On 9/6/2023 at 11:17 PM, barric said:

Does MSC offer transfers between ewr and the Brooklyn port?

We just had our car service cancel us because of the 11/5 closure of the Verrazano.

MSC will have transfer, but only from the airport their European guests who booked the flights from MSC are landing. No idea which NY airport is this. 

5 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

MSC will have transfer, but only from the airport their European guests who booked the flights from MSC are landing. No idea which NY airport is this. 

I am making an educated guess and say it will be Kennedy (Terminal 4) for European guests.

LaGuardia is limited for international flights (Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas, and Aruba).

Newark does have international flights, but I don't know how many and which countries.

Edited by Homosassa

How difficult will it be for passengers disembarking on marathon day to drive into Manhattan to the Holland Tunnel?  You are west of the marathon route and could take the Battery Tunnel or Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan where we will be well south of Central Park.  I plan to self disembark and hopefully will be off the ship by 8:00 AM.