Kicking the tires on MSC, better than NCL in the winter out of NYC?

JIMESOPUS

On 9/17/2023 at 10:45 AM, JIMESOPUS said:

Under 24 hours and we should be there in Brooklyn, Waze has it at 2.5 hours, could be the traffic today with the Tunnel to Towers run. Looks like Tropical Storm Nigel will travel far enough East of Bermuda, so my final pack will be for Bermuda.

Rain is forecasted for Monday, based on previous reviews we will line our luggage with plastic.

Jim

giphy.gif

Edited by graphicguy

On 9/16/2023 at 12:35 PM, DrSea said:

I personally couldn't be loyal to a single cruise line. My strong recommendation is to check all the lines out. I like NCLs product a lot,  but brand loyalty is expensive

With that said, I just can't do MSC with their food and customer service.

Disclaimer: never sailed with MSC before and don't intend to for years

Good advice - maybe you should take it and try them! 😁  As for the OP, if proximity to NYC is critical, why not Royal out of NJ?  To never have tried them once seems odd.  Having such close access to Oasis and Anthem, seems worth a try. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JCDCA said:

Good advice - maybe you should take it and try them! 😁  As for the OP, if proximity to NYC is critical, why not Royal out of NJ?  To never have tried them once seems odd.  Having such close access to Oasis and Anthem, seems worth a try. 

Size of the ships scare the hell of me. Our little hamlet has about 5000 residents, there are some in this town that I wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship with.

• Haha 7

safety / muster drill - will never complain about those multiple videos again. While sitting in the cabin, watching the video and dialing the number sounds super easy, that walk down 9 decks with some who shouldn't had even tried was challenging. I the walk up wasn't easier. At least I got my cardio in today. So that's one for NCL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

safety / muster drill - will never complain about those multiple videos again. While sitting in the cabin, watching the video and dialing the number sounds super easy, that walk down 9 decks with some who shouldn't had even tried was challenging. I the walk up wasn't easier. At least I got my cardio in today. So that's one for NCL

From what I can tell (not trialed) you can actually be near your muster deck in advance (no stairs), once called, get card scanned, wait until elevators work (ie, grab a drink), then once back in cabin, watch video and call that number.  I only say this because we watched the video, followed directions and got a letter which said we didn’t watch the video.  Rewatched the video, dialed in the # and all good.

• Like 2

No bar service in the main theater, also observed someone getting stop with a drink walking in. The production show was actually good, Carol was surprised I didn't doze off.

Long day + several drinks = ZZZZZ

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Size of the ships scare the hell of me. Our little hamlet has about 5000 residents, there are some in this town that I wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship with.

I get the concern.  To me, the Oasis Class is fantastic and believe it or not feels less crowded than the large NCL shops.  People are dispersed very well.  

10 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

No bar service in the main theater, also observed someone getting stop with a drink walking in. The production show was actually good, Carol was surprised I didn't doze off.

Long day + several drinks = ZZZZZ

I was prepared for terrible shows based on internet complaints, and MSC shows were fabulous.  

And I LOVED that the performers on our ship came out afterwards, in costume, to take photos. My 4 and 6 year old felt like they were meeting Taylor Swift. And all the performers were so kind, especially the men, encouraging my son who just loves to dance, and doing little dance steps with him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

On Seascape the muster drill was a giant cluster.  It was impossible to find the actual muster station, and people kept pointing us in the wrong direction.   I had zero faith things would go well if we ever did need to evacuate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

I was prepared for terrible shows based on internet complaints, and MSC shows were fabulous.  

And I LOVED that the performers on our ship came out afterwards, in costume, to take photos. My 4 and 6 year old felt like they were meeting Taylor Swift. And all the performers were so kind, especially the men, encouraging my son who just loves to dance, and doing little dance steps with him. 

I am like you and love MSC's shows. Have a feeling I will be disappointed with NCL's entertainment in January with only Burn the Floor in theater which we have seen I think 5 times.

Took us years to book MSC because of the bad reviews but we have now sailed 12 times on them. I just wish they would change the itineraries some. 

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 3:36 PM, laudergayle said:

I found a post on MSC board and here the newest menu for US sailings..at least those out of Florida. image.png.5c8d9a54303c414fe1b598daf60af0c6.png

But that's only the second page of the menu. The "everyday" option.  The interesting choices are on the other page.

Personally, we felt MSC's cruise was on par with what we ate on the Celebrity Xpedition, except the beef was better on MSC.  We only ate in the MDR for dinner, no paid options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

But that's only the second page of the menu. The "everyday" option.  The interesting choices are on the other page.

Personally, we felt MSC's cruise was on par with what we ate on the Celebrity Xpedition, except the beef was better on MSC.  We only ate in the MDR for dinner, no paid options.

Yes, I am aware of the entire menu.  My original comments only referred to the Every Day choices…which is the first page of the menu.

I agree the food was on par with NCL and perhaps the best filet I’ve ever been served was in MSC Butcher Cut.

Weird to find an MSC review in an NCL forum.  We, too usually cruise NCL but after our Feb. 2023 cruise to Bermuda on the Getaway which turned into a cruise to nowhere we decided to look elsewhere and are booked in October on the Miraviglia. 

We would really like to try the Prima class.  We still have one Cruise Next left plus the $200 FCC from that Feb. cruise.  We are now all booked up through Feb. 2025 on several other cruise lines and hope that the 2025 prices of the Prima and/or Viva come down.

We are avid NCL Cruisers in the Haven, but the prices have gotten a little crazy. There are deals to be had but not for us lol. We are booked on the Escape in January in the Haven, and have also booked our first MSC Cruise on the Seascape in September in the YC. We are kicking the tires with the YC inside for the simple fact it was cheaper then a Non Haven Balcony on NCL. Wife and I are not foody people, always can find something to eat. Sadly we are 44 and 41 and have already began the decent to loving the Private areas of the Haven. From what i have read and seen through reviews and videos, I have a feeling we may be swithcing over to MSC since there price points are much better. Also the DSC in Haven is $25 PP per day, MSC is still only $14.50PP per day. 

• Like 1

So today I ran into the door police, some lady from Germany has decided to monitor the door on deck #15. I gather that I should wait until the door closes before moving on. At first I thought this was one and done but several hours later she was still there monitoring the door.

One of the Achilles heel of the Prima and Getaway was the outdoor courtyard and pool area in the Haven well it's here too. Someone mentioned about a solarium for YC on deck #19, will have to get back there.

@Red-Sol We did the match, Sapphire = Gold

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JCDCA said:

I'll check them out when they come to LA lol

3 hours ago, wolft927 said:

We are avid NCL Cruisers in the Haven, but the prices have gotten a little crazy. There are deals to be had but not for us lol. We are booked on the Escape in January in the Haven, and have also booked our first MSC Cruise on the Seascape in September in the YC. We are kicking the tires with the YC inside for the simple fact it was cheaper then a Non Haven Balcony on NCL. Wife and I are not foody people, always can find something to eat. Sadly we are 44 and 41 and have already began the decent to loving the Private areas of the Haven. From what i have read and seen through reviews and videos, I have a feeling we may be swithcing over to MSC since there price points are much better. Also the DSC in Haven is $25 PP per day, MSC is still only $14.50PP per day. 

Prices are crazy, was looking to book the Gem out of Boston next June to Bermuda. Got our quote from out TA..... $4200 for a regular balcony cabin. That did include all the perks etc...but still. The days of affordable cruises is gone. NYC was $500 less on the Joy, same time period out of NYC for a standard balcony. Celebrity Eclipse was $4500 out of Bayonne 

• Like 1

Second production show last night and it was fantastic !! After this show I have to say MSC definitely has an edge on the staff production shows.

Yesterday at the YC there was a very nice gathering. All the Butlers and Concierge staff were introduced. The Captain, CD and other senior leadership members attended, at the end we all raised a glass and saluted each other

They don't ask for your card / wristband within the YC, don't know how they control inventory? 

In Bermuda today, weather looks great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Prices are crazy, was looking to book the Gem out of Boston next June to Bermuda. Got our quote from out TA..... $4200 for a regular balcony cabin. That did include all the perks etc...but still. The days of affordable cruises is gone. NYC was $500 less on the Joy, same time period out of NYC for a standard balcony. Celebrity Eclipse was $4500 out of Bayonne 

Well for Balcony with FAS when we travel can always find it for around $3300. But the Haven on the other hand, have not seen one for under about $7200

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Well for Balcony with FAS when we travel can always find it for around $3300. But the Haven on the other hand, have not seen one for under about $7200

Try to find it for $3300 out of Boston to Bermuda in June.... let me know if you do

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Try to find it for $3300 out of Boston to Bermuda in June.... let me know if you do

Yea, unfortunatly we only cruise between September and say March. We prefer less kids, and prices are always much cheaper as well. But will be on the look out. 

• Like 1

At least there is one thing in common, internet signal keeps dropping out, completely gone for several seconds then it returns. Uploading pictures is impossible. Finally found the internet manager desk and of course it had the longest line. 

Venturing outside this sleepy enclave the ship alive and packed. Aft elevators are a joke, slow and packed like sardines. 

@bluesea777 Thank you for the wonderful weather

• Like 4
  • Haha 1