Disembarkation in Trieste - transportation to Venice hotel

Coffeeluvr05

I am looking for recommendations for a small group of 6 to get from the cruise port in Trieste when we disembark our ship (with our luggage) to our hotel (or nearby) in Venice.  Not looking to be dragging our luggage too much around walking on uneven surfaces if it can be avoided.  I haven't been to Venice before so am thinking we don't want to be having to lift our large pieces of luggage on and off of multiple modes of transport.  Anyone with expertise on this, please help!  Thanks!

I took the train to Trieste and used FlixBus on the return to Venice. Both were about 20E but they don't sound like an option for you.

I don't have any experience with these companies but their names have come up in past threads about transportation to Trieste.  Google them for more info.....  GoOpti, VQ Travels ( 450E)  , Treviso Car Service, NCC VIM Transfer, Blacklane Car Service.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Not looking to be dragging our luggage too much around walking on uneven surfaces if it can be avoided.  I haven't been to Venice before so am thinking we don't want to be having to lift our large pieces of luggage on and off of multiple modes of transport.  Anyone with expertise on this, please help! 

So you're about 2 hours by car service to Venice-- a bit longer by bus or cruise transfers. I would second what the previous poster said about Blacklane-- we've used their app multiple times in Italy and its been seamless. You can also take a train. 

Once you get to Venice proper it will depend where your hotel is. A car or mini bus for your group will drop you at Piazzale Roma and the train will end in Santa Lucia Station. From either of those spots the easiest way to avoid schlepping luggage is to take a water taxi. While expensive, anywhere from 70E to 120E depending on location, it will take you directly to your hotel (assuming your hotel has a private dock). 

Without knowing where you are staying its impossible to give definitive advice but this should help in a general sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Princeton about needing to know about your hotel.  If it is not yet booked, then you are probably best to select the hotel with accessibility in mind.    Also I might be harsh, but you might also pack with mobility in mind.

We used the train to get to Trieste (from Bologna) and the Flixbus to get to VCE airport.   We costed the return journey in an ordinary taxi - it would have been around 250 euro for the two of us (we were debating what would happen if we missed the bus).  For a  group of 6  a pre booked private car would be  a reasonable rate pp.  

However….  to get from taxi to the hotel,  I recall when in Venice in September 2019 that there were porters with big trolleys that passed us when going over the bridges.    I don’t recall where you accessed these.  

• Thanks 1

I agree with what has been said. There are several issues with taking the train. Italians are famous for strikes, and if you need to be there at a certain time, strikes can be frustrating. Also, if you have any walking disabilities, the train system is not fully accessible, especially if you have to change trains. When my wife and I transferred earlier this year from Trieste to Venice, I hired a company to provide a van and posted it on our Cruise Critic Roll Call. We shared the van with two other couples and split the cost. Since you are a group of 6, if you decide to share a vehicle, make sure the vehicle is large enough for all the luggage.

When selecting a hotel, consider the following: Venice is a collection of islands and the city center (where Saint Mark's Square is located) does NOT allow vehicles. Thus, if you pick a hotel convenient to St. Mark's Square, you will NOT be able to take a land taxi to your hotel. You will have to take either a Vaporetto (public water taxi that can hold 50-100 people) or a private water taxi (just for you and the driver). Hotels with their own private docks tend to be a lot more expensive.

The Venice bus station (Piazzale Roma) is north of the city center. You may want to consider selecting a hotel near there, so you can walk to your hotel or take a land taxi. You can then take a Vaporetto whenever you want to go into the city center or to places like Murano or Burano. If staying for 3 or more days, I suggest buying a 3-day pass on the Vaporetto. There is also a public water taxi that goes directly to the airport, which has its own private dock.

Alan

Edited by ReligBookFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Venice hotels can be difficult to reach with luggage. Great prices often reflect locations that are more circuitous and while absolutely lovely, require crossing multiple small bridges. Young and adventurous, not so bad, older and less mobile, very difficult 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 6:07 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I am looking for recommendations for a small group of 6 to get from the cruise port in Trieste when we disembark our ship (with our luggage) to our hotel (or nearby) in Venice.

Have you looked at the excellent Venice for Visitors website? It has an astonishing amount of info on it and is especially helpful for first time visitors.

As for hotels in Venice, many folks  count the number of bridges which need to be crossed from a public vaporetto stop as most are "stepped" and require you to carry your luggage up one side and down the other. . Hotels with private docks   can be pricier than most, and private water taxis are also costly, but for 6 persons, assuming a private water taxi can accommodate 6 plus luggage, this could be a decent option.  You would need to check ahead of time how many taxis you might need and the cost.

An other option is to travel by train and find a hotel close to the main station, Santa Lucia, or find one on or close to Piazzale Roma, the last point in Venice for vehicular traffic. Doing this would give you an easier arrival and departure as the airport bus also stops there and it is close to the train station.

We have only twice seen porters in Venice and they were in front of the train station.  Having no idea what they cost, you could try googling something like "where to find (or cost of) porters in Venice".

Another option is to leave the bulk of your luggage at one of the left luggage facilities in Venice and pack what you need for your short stay in a small carry on or back pack which will make it easier to reach your hotel.

There are a multitude of past CC threads about Venice hotels, luggage, transportation, recommendations etc, you only need use the SEARCH TOOL to find them.  And do also dip into the Venice for visitors website as the more you look into it, the more info you will find. 

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 12:12 PM, ollienbertsmum said:

I recall when in Venice in September 2019 that there were porters with big trolleys that passed us when going over the bridges.    I don’t recall where you accessed these.

They are waiting outside Santa Lucia Station and sometimes in Pza Roma

• Like 1

If you are looking for a hotel with a dock on the Grand Canal and next to a vaporetto (waterbus) stop - we stayed at the Palazzo San'Angelo and absolutely loved it.  Get a room with a view of the canal if you can.  If not - and we couldn't because it was very full - the garden views are nice and the rooms in the back are quieter.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2023 at 7:01 PM, Mkdvmz said:

I booked a private car for 4 persons from Trieste cruise terminal to Venice and water taxi to Gritti Palace and to St. Regis for 370 euros from Venice private transfers. No need to drag luggage

Do you remember what company you used? Thank you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sophiesmom3317 said:

Do you remember what company you used? Thank you.

We used treviso airporter. They were excellent, took care of everything. Driver even reminded us to not pay the water taxi driver in Venice, that it was taken care of. When we exited the ship terminal with our luggage, he was waiting right there with a sign and our name on it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, luv2gonow said:

Dont mean to hijack following:-)

Also disembarking in Trieste.

Staying Venice Times Hotel.

3 adults and one senior with luggage.

Best transportation ?

Thanks

You have two choices:

1. Take the train from Trieste. Your hotel is just down the street from the Venice train station. This is the cheapest, BUT Italian trains are notorious for going on strike frequently.

2. Hire a transportation company (most use SUVs). This is expensive: 300 Euros to 500 Euros. If choosing this method, you may want to share the expense with one or two couples (just make sure that all your luggage will fit). You can use this link (Trip Advisor) to find a transportation company: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187813-Activities-c59-t182-a_attractionType.SUPPLIERS-a_trating.40-Trieste_Province_of_Trieste_Friuli_Venezia_G.html

Alan

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, luv2gonow said:

Dont mean to hijack following:-)

Also disembarking in Trieste.

Staying Venice Times Hotel.

3 adults and one senior with luggage.

Best transportation ?

Thanks

Define best ... fastest? cheapest? easiest? most convenient?

Can you easily manage your luggage?

Transportation options include cruiseline transfer, private transfer, train, Flixbus.

Your hotel is close to the S Lucia train station in Venice, which is an important factor if you can't easily manage your luggage.  The other transportation options drop you at Piazzale Roma which is on the other side of the Grand Canal from the S Lucia station.  This would mean a large bridge to cross with luggage, then a 10 minute walk to the hotel.

( the Trieste train station is a 15 minute walk from the ship. There are taxis but could be a wait)

Are you flying out of Venice after your visit?

Hello,

We have spent quite bit of time researching this same question (and have the same desire NOT to handle luggage too much) and here is what we are doing:

We have booked a private van through Viator to get from Trieste port to Venice. It is ~$415 for up to 7 people. As we get closer to our cruise date (in May) I will post on cruise critic and see if anyone else wants to join and spit the cost. 

The transport will take us to Venice central as far as a vehicle can go. One drop off option would be Piazzale Roma, and another drop off option is the  San Basilio Terminal.  I have tentatively booked 2 hotels, both of which are within 5 min walk of of those stops respectively (one walk would be without bridges).  One hotel has offered to arrange a porter to meet us and I believe the cost was EU10 per bag.  Both hotels are also nicely located to access the central part of Venice.

To get to the airport from the hotel after out stay in Venice, the options are to either take a taxi from Piazzle Roma or San Basilio Terminal (takes about 45-60 minutes we are told), or water taxi directly from the hotels ~EU130 (25-30 minutes). We will probably opt for the water taxi just for one last fun experience of Venice.

Edited by benel204

4 hours ago, benel204 said:

Hello,

We have spent quite bit of time researching this same question (and have the same desire NOT to handle luggage too much) and here is what we are doing:

We have booked a private van through Viator to get from Trieste port to Venice. It is ~$415 for up to 7 people. As we get closer to our cruise date (in May) I will post on cruise critic and see if anyone else wants to join and spit the cost. 

The transport will take us to Venice central as far as a vehicle can go. One drop off option would be Piazzale Roma, and another drop off option is the  San Basilio Terminal.  I have tentatively booked 2 hotels, both of which are within 5 min walk of of those stops respectively (one walk would be without bridges).  One hotel has offered to arrange a porter to meet us and I believe the cost was EU10 per bag.  Both hotels are also nicely located to access the central part of Venice.

To get to the airport from the hotel after out stay in Venice, the options are to either take a taxi from Piazzle Roma or San Basilio Terminal (takes about 45-60 minutes we are told), or water taxi directly from the hotels ~EU130 (25-30 minutes). We will probably opt for the water taxi just for one last fun experience of Venice.

If you have difficulty walking, then you will probably have difficulty getting in and out of the private water taxi. My wife had great difficulty.

Alan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReligBookFreak said:

If you have difficulty walking, then you will probably have difficulty getting in and out of the private water taxi. My wife had great difficulty.

Alan

Hi Alan,

We have no difficulty walking, in fact walk 20+ miles a week.

Its the lifting of luggage repeatedly that we want to avoid.

Thanks for the heads up about water taxis and will discuss with the hotel the best option when we head to the airport.

9 hours ago, benel204 said:

Hello,

We found the water taxi drivers were extremely helpful getting our luggage in and out of the taxi and even more helpful getting us in and out of the water taxi. The water taxi to the airport is a beautiful trip and well worth it! 
we used a private driver from Trieste to Venice and the company, treviso airporter also arranged for the water taxi to our hotel, included in our fee. The driver handled our of our luggage
There are porters at piazzale Roma at the water taxi station who gladly help take your luggage into the terminal, or conversely to the water taxi,  should you decide to take the train 

52 minutes ago, Mkdvmz said:

We found the water taxi drivers were extremely helpful getting our luggage in and out of the taxi and even more helpful getting us in and out of the water taxi. The water taxi to the airport is a beautiful trip and well worth it! 
we used a private driver from Trieste to Venice and the company, treviso airporter also arranged for the water taxi to our hotel, included in our fee. The driver handled our of our luggage
There are porters at piazzale Roma at the water taxi station who gladly help take your luggage into the terminal, or conversely to the water taxi,  should you decide to take the train 

Thanks, that's good to know!

10 hours ago, benel204 said:

The 2 private transfer companies I have seen posted here are VQTravels and NCC VIM. They both have web sites if you want to get a quote.

Since you aren't cruising out of SanBasilio, there is no benefit for staying near there.  A hotel near or on the Piazzale Roma would be more convenient. In the attached list, the hotels marked ' 0 bridges to cross' means that your car/van can drop you off at the hotel door.

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

And the Arlecchino, Olimpia, and Papadopali  are only a block and a small bridge from the drop off point at Piazzale Roma.  

A cab to the airport takes 20 minutes, but a water taxi would be a great experience. There's plenty of video on youtube. 

6 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

The 2 private transfer companies I have seen posted here are VQTravels and NCC VIM. They both have web sites if you want to get a quote.

Since you aren't cruising out of SanBasilio, there is no benefit for staying near there.  A hotel near or on the Piazzale Roma would be more convenient. In the attached list, the hotels marked ' 0 bridges to cross' means that your car/van can drop you off at the hotel door.

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

And the Arlecchino, Olimpia, and Papadopali  are only a block and a small bridge from the drop off point at Piazzale Roma.  

A cab to the airport takes 20 minutes, but a water taxi would be a great experience. There's plenty of video on youtube. 

Good resources! Thank you.

We wanted to stay inside Venice proper but away from bustle and ideally on the water. Hence the hotel not far from San Besilio.

10 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

How many bridge hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

This is a terrific resource!  Thanks. One of the hotels we booked (walking from the Piazzale Roma) is listed.  Good to have a description of the walk.

10 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Since you aren't cruising out of SanBasilio, there is no benefit for staying near there. 

I'm curious about your thoughts re staying near San Basilio?

The hotel we are looking at (Palazzo Veneziano) is in Dorsoduro area, fairly close to the sites in Venice and still quiet.  The taxi will go directly (within 5 min walk) of the hotel, and no bridges.