Mini suite to obstructed view cabin

maryisme

Hi,

This is my first time sailing with Princess. Our cruise is not until July 2004.  I initially placed a non refundable deposit on a mini suite. I decided to downgrade to an obstructed view cabin (savings of over $7000). I lost my deposit on the mini suite. The rep advised it was non refundable but I thought it was transferable. She kept placing me on hold as if checking with someone else. Does this sound correct?

PS my confirmation states that it is 100% nonrefundable, but it does not say it’s not transferable.

Thank you. 

Mary

6 minutes ago, maryisme said:

This is my first time sailing with Princess. Our cruise is not until July 2004. 

I’m sure it’s not 2004? Maybe 2024. 🥴

Anyway, are you in the UK?

T & C are different there.  

In the US there are non refundable and refundable type deposits and you see that when you book.  

If your confirmation says non ref, then it is non ref. Transferable? Not normally.  Did you book directly with PCL?  If so, you could call back and question them again.  Look closely under T&C online the website first.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I’m sure it’s not 2004? Maybe 2024. 🥴

Anyway, are you in the UK?

T & C are different there.  

In the US there are non refundable and refundable type deposits and you see that when you book.  

If your confirmation says non ref, then it is non ref. Transferable? Not normally.  Did you book directly with PCL?  If so, you could call back and question them again.  Look closely under T&C online the website first.

Forgot to mention I have a Time Machine 😁.  Thanks for your reply. Only $200 but rep seemed so unsure. Will give them a call back. 
Mary

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Did the booking number change? If so, I would imagine that would explain the loss of the nonrefundable deposit. However, if your booking number stayed the same, that would be a different story. 

Booking number did change. I probably should have gone about the downgrade differently. Live and learn. Thanks for your reply. 

• Like 1

A downgrade is always a cancel and rebook, unless Princess offers you a move-over because they've oversold. I've heard some people may have been able to transfer a non-refundable deposit to an upgrade costing more, but I haven't heard of anyone doing so with a downgrade.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

A downgrade is always a cancel and rebook, unless Princess offers you a move-over because they've oversold. I've heard some people may have been able to transfer a non-refundable deposit to an upgrade costing more, but I haven't heard of anyone doing so with a downgrade.

Thank you NavyVeteran!  

On 9/16/2023 at 1:38 PM, maryisme said:

Hi,

This is my first time sailing with Princess. Our cruise is not until July 2004.  I initially placed a non refundable deposit on a mini suite. I decided to downgrade to an obstructed view cabin (savings of over $7000). I lost my deposit on the mini suite. The rep advised it was non refundable but I thought it was transferable. She kept placing me on hold as if checking with someone else. Does this sound correct?

PS my confirmation states that it is 100% nonrefundable, but it does not say it’s not transferable.

Thank you. 

Mary

Suggest in future to never book with a non-ref deposit.

• Like 3

Bad news for this side of the pond: my CVP states that in a mtg last week they were informed that all deposits will be non-refundable next year. So we will need to factor that in when refaring ... that, insurance increase (minimal really), changing perks

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Bad news for this side of the pond: my CVP states that in a mtg last week they were informed that all deposits will be non-refundable next year. So we will need to factor that in when refaring ... that, insurance increase (minimal really), changing perks

Really hope that is not true.  

Although, that’s the way RCI has been going.  I hope PCL lowers the price of deposits, been paying $400 PP on the longer cruises.

May just wait until closer to FP to book and take my chances on cabin selection.  Or, wait until the price comes down to a reasonable  fare for folks.

34 minutes ago, Ombud said:

If true, this is another reason to purchase several FCDs onboard. If you're going to lose a deposit, it's a lot better to lose only $100 per person.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I agree with the others, buying enough FCDs on board once those rules change, if they actually do, to use as deposits for the following year's new bookings would be the smart move. That way I would think refaring an existing booking would be only a minimal issue if someone had to cancel before FP. That is unless they do something really annoying like HAL who doesn't let you refare a booking that has a nonrefundable deposit.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, Senga said:

Yes but that was their choice.  Personally, since COVID, we would never book a cabin without a balcony.

I would not normally either. However, I could not justify $7000 more for a balcony and I tried! 

Edited by maryisme

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

They are trying to be more profitable.  It's money lost with both reducing a fare and resources used with a Princess employee processing a refare. 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

This news deserves a new thread and title!!  Is this for real??!!!  SUCKS big time.

PS - Don't want to steal your thunder, but please put this announcement in a new thread.  We don't blame you for it!

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

That's bad news.  Please start a thread about this!!

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

4 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

That's bad news.  Please start a thread about this!!

If a new thread is opened regarding this issue, I hope the OP would call their CVP first and reconfirm exactly what was said and let them know the information is going to be posted on CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

If a new thread is opened regarding this issue, I hope the OP would call their CVP first and reconfirm exactly what was said and let them know the information is going to be posted on CC.

I am looking for a TA or 2nd CVP to confirm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1