09/02 Legend not so Greenland cruise

Yehootu

16 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I am not continuing to argue with yall. I wasn't on the ship and I have no dog in this fight. I don't agree with you on the reasonableness of a piddly $200 pittance as recompense for not going to Greenland on a cruise that Carnival undoubtedly advertised as a Greenland cruise and charged "Greenland" prices for.  Despite what the cruise contract says, there are still consumer laws which prevent a cruise company from advertising one thing and delivering another.  Carnival may have an out with the reason for not going being an act of God/the weather.  But as a general rule, Carnival absolutely does have a duty to deliver what they advertise and sell...as does any business.  Not to mention the fact it is just bad business. I am willing to bet a lot of the people on that Greenland cruise will never cruise with Carnival again.  If they had given them even a small FCC, that story might be different. It is easier to keep a customer than gain a new one.

Not true for cruises, there is verbiage in every cruise contract that ports can be skipped or changed, a ship can literally sail in circles if they have to and legally not owe anyone a dime, even if it’s a problem with the ship. Those in other countries have different laws.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Not true for cruises, there is verbiage in every cruise contract that ports can be skipped or changed, a ship can literally sail in circles if they have to and legally not owe anyone a dime, even if it’s a problem with the ship. Those in other countries have different laws.

No, they can't just sail in circles for no reason if they choose because it is written in the contract. There are certain laws that you cannot contract around.  Not everything written in a contract is enforceable. 

SNS, but your google law degree does not equal my honors JD from a top law school or my 15 years of legal practice.

I am now reminded why I try to make a habit of never getting into any sort of legal discussion with anyone on the internet...because the dunning krueger effect is STRONG on the world wide web.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 3

As an aside, I am not trying to be some pompous know-it-all jerk or pound my chest with my legal knowledge. But I do think that it is good for people to know that not everything written in a contract is always enforceable.  And there are consumer protection laws (that vary from state to state) that protect the consumer from deceptive practices.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

No, they can't just sail in circles for no reason if they choose because it is written in the contract. There are certain laws that you cannot contract around.  Not everything written in a contract is enforceable. 

SNS, but your google law degree does not equal my honors JD from a top law school or my 15 years of legal practice.

I am now reminded why I try to make a habit of never getting into any sort of legal discussion with anyone on the internet...because the dunning krueger effect is STRONG on the world wide web.

Dunny k effec. .. so funny! 

I got my law degree from authors like John Grisham and I agree with @Eli_6  This was not some Caribbean cruise where if you missed a couple of ports $200 obc would be fair.  This was a destination cruise.  If I had booked this cruise I would have expected more than $200 because of the cruise fare being higher.  I think I have met a lot of people named Dunning Krueger in my life. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Not everything written in a contract is enforceable. 

Bingo.

My wife reads software end user license agreements and regularly discusses them with our Office of General Counsel... and as far as they're concerned, about 2/3 of the terms in software EULA are completely unenforceable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dallasdan said:

I got my law degree from authors like John Grisham and I agree with @Eli_6  This was not some Caribbean cruise where if you missed a couple of ports $200 obc would be fair.  This was a destination cruise.  If I had booked this cruise I would have expected more than $200 because of the cruise fare being higher.  I think I have met a lot of people named Dunning Krueger in my life. 

I'm not saying I'd be happy with $200 (unfair to ask me...I hate cold weather....I'd never go to Greenland) but can a cruise really be called "a destination cruise" with all the variables that could happen?  People should be aware of this when they book....ports are at the mercy of the weather etc.

IMHO...if you want to see Greenland, or AnyLand....plan a trip to that land.   At best, you can get a couple of hours and the bragging rights that you stepped foot there on a cruise.

Planning a cruise for any specific port is risky....

Maybe @Eli_6 couple lead a class action (joking....)

22 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I'm not saying I'd be happy with $200 (unfair to ask me...I hate cold weather....I'd never go to Greenland) but can a cruise really be called "a destination cruise" with all the variables that could happen?  People should be aware of this when they book....ports are at the mercy of the weather etc.

IMHO...if you want to see Greenland, or AnyLand....plan a trip to that land.   At best, you can get a couple of hours and the bragging rights that you stepped foot there on a cruise.

Planning a cruise for any specific port is risky....

Maybe @Eli_6 couple lead a class action (joking....)

I agree if you must see a port then a land vacation is the way to go. I was only saying destination cruise because the cruise fare was more than typical amount.  I am always aware and not bothered if we miss a port. Only has happened once in my 20 cruises so I have been lucky.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this cruise. no one has mentioned OUR real issue with this trip, it was NOT the fact we didn't make it to Greenland, (CCL isn't responsible for the weather),  it was supposed to be a Journey's cruise and it clearly was NOT! For those who have sailed previously on Journeys cruises, you know there are special events, speakers, food, etc offered that make it "special" and contribute to why we are willing to pay more for them. We had none of this! No speaker, lecturer, naturalist, or whatever you want to call him/her, thus when we did dock in ports, we had no idea what to do there, unless you were on a tour, no maps given , nothing. We literally got off the ship and said "ok, now what?" Yes, we did our homework about the ports before we left, but the history and points of interest, we counted on learning about from the speaker.   Even our CD hadn't been to the ports before, (he wasn't aboard the previous Greenland trip in August),  and when he was asked about them, just said "oh I've never been and will be learning along with you". There were no special events going on for the 10 days at sea we had...One can only play so much trivia and 6 trivia games in a row every day gets old. No special food items were offered, no midnight buffet like previous Journey cruises had pre covid. This is one of the biggest reasons we felt we were "ripped off". Just our 2 cents. Not looking to be flamed. 

Marsha

8 hours ago, marshabear said:

I was on this cruise. no one has mentioned OUR real issue with this trip, it was NOT the fact we didn't make it to Greenland, (CCL isn't responsible for the weather),  it was supposed to be a Journey's cruise and it clearly was NOT! For those who have sailed previously on Journeys cruises, you know there are special events, speakers, food, etc offered that make it "special" and contribute to why we are willing to pay more for them. We had none of this! No speaker, lecturer, naturalist, or whatever you want to call him/her, thus when we did dock in ports, we had no idea what to do there, unless you were on a tour, no maps given , nothing. We literally got off the ship and said "ok, now what?" Yes, we did our homework about the ports before we left, but the history and points of interest, we counted on learning about from the speaker.   Even our CD hadn't been to the ports before, (he wasn't aboard the previous Greenland trip in August),  and when he was asked about them, just said "oh I've never been and will be learning along with you". There were no special events going on for the 10 days at sea we had...One can only play so much trivia and 6 trivia games in a row every day gets old. No special food items were offered, no midnight buffet like previous Journey cruises had pre covid. This is one of the biggest reasons we felt we were "ripped off". Just our 2 cents. Not looking to be flamed. 

Marsha

I was on the cruise also.  Not sure where you were.  There WAS special speakers, there WAS special events, Maybe try reading the funtimes.  

• Like 5

On 9/21/2023 at 1:04 PM, dallasdan said:

Hi

I have never been offered $200 for missing a Caribbean port or two. $25 might be more like it. I hope you aren't too disappointed if this happens to you. It has long been stated; do not go on a cruise if your are specifically wanting to see a particular port. There are no guarantees. If you don't understand this, then you haven't been following the Cruise Critic boards long enough.

I think people are expecting just too much for any inconvenience. 

I agree that the cruise line could have given more, but they didn't, and they didn't have to.

I see the prices are going up (for all cruise lines) with more and more new cruisers giving it a go. The cruise lines much prefer new cruisers than someone who has been doing it for a while. As long as they are doing reasonably well, they will continue their penny pinching ways.

You are the customer, if you don't like what you purchased in the past, try something different the next time.