Venice to Ravenna Shuttle Info

5thgirl

It has been a while! I am getting back to resuming my cruising, and can't wait to book. We are looking at the 7 night Greece and Croatia, departing out of Ravenna on Explorer. I called RC and asked if we arrive a day early to enjoy Venice beforehand, if they could arrange a shuttle to take us to Ravenna the next day - sadly, the answer was No. Is this really true? I wasn't sure how much experience the RC agent had. I was told they can only arrange from the airport the day of, or the other option was for me to get back to the airport the next day vs a pickup from my hotel. Would appreciate any advice on best way to arrange. I know the ride can be roughly 3 hours. Any recommendations on hotels for a 2 night stay in Venice beforehand would also be helpful. TIA!

They *usually* offer a shuttle from Tronchetto in Venice to Ravenna .. it takes a few hours. 
Call and ask another agent. 

Tronchetto is at the end of the People Mover which starts in Piazzale Roma: so a hotel near there would be a good option. In case there isn’t a shuttle from Tronchetto then you can always catch the airport bus back from PR to VCE and catch the shuttle there. 

Antiche Figure is a good hotel to

look at.. not sure of your budget.

1 hour ago, 5thgirl said:

It has been a while! I am getting back to resuming my cruising, and can't wait to book. We are looking at the 7 night Greece and Croatia, departing out of Ravenna on Explorer. I called RC and asked if we arrive a day early to enjoy Venice beforehand, if they could arrange a shuttle to take us to Ravenna the next day - sadly, the answer was No. Is this really true? I wasn't sure how much experience the RC agent had. I was told they can only arrange from the airport the day of, or the other option was for me to get back to the airport the next day vs a pickup from my hotel. Would appreciate any advice on best way to arrange. I know the ride can be roughly 3 hours. Any recommendations on hotels for a 2 night stay in Venice beforehand would also be helpful. TIA!

You can take the shuttle from Venice the morning of the cruise, after a day and night in Venice. We stayed at the airport hotel, took their shuttle back th the airport and got the shuttle on cruise day.

Check with a TA, or call back and and just say you want to book the shuttle. Don't mention your arrival date. It probably confused the agent.

Also, if you're staying in Venice there is probably a shuttle from the Venice transportation center. We did our actual Venice visit after the cruise, and took the shuttle from Ravenna straight to the transportation center. Bought passes for transport, and took a water bus straight to our hotel. I would think that they pick up from there as well.

1 hour ago, rbain said:

We will be doing this same trip next june and there will be 6 of us.  Looking like a private transfer.  Any recommendations on ones people have used in the past?

We used vqtravels.com.  Highly recommended.

€445 for 6 people 

Run by English lady called Trisha who is married  to Venetian gondolier 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, little britain said:

Antiche Figure is a good hotel to

look at.. not sure of your budget.

That is a great recommendation, an absolutely superb hotel.

It is also an easy walk from where the coach drops you off from the airport and is across the Grand Canal from the train station as we went to Ravenna by train.

I don't think many people consider the train train to Ravenna from Venice but it is very easy and was enjoyable. 

• Like 2

I am having the same issue. I don’t want to stay at the airport. I want to go from airport to Venice since we get there 2 days prior to sailing. And we probably will have to stay one extra day after disembarkation because I don’t think we can make it to airport. So another way from dock to Venice and next day Venice back to airport. I’d love to know exactly how long all this takes. RCL told me it could take 3 hours from airport to dock but clearly they have no idea. 

We stayed in Meistre the night before our cruise in June and took the shuttle from Tronchetto to Ravenna.  Honestly, I just lied and gave them flight information for a flight I was not actually booked on arriving early the day of the cruise. If I were to do it again, I would just take it from the airport.  It was a pain to get to Tronchetto.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the great tips and feedback. I think I will look into a private transfer and see what that costs. We are also thinking of changing our approach - arriving day of instead and just taking the RC transfer from airport to Ravenna, and then when we return that's when we will stay the extra day or two in Venice. Has anyone had any experience with flying in the day of for a European cruise coming from the states (Chicago). My rule of thumb for cruising was always to arrive a day early just in case, but might change that just because it seems a little bit of a hassle to get from Venice to Ravenna separately....thoughts?? TIA!

47 minutes ago, 5thgirl said:

Thanks everyone for all the great tips and feedback. I think I will look into a private transfer and see what that costs. We are also thinking of changing our approach - arriving day of instead and just taking the RC transfer from airport to Ravenna, and then when we return that's when we will stay the extra day or two in Venice. Has anyone had any experience with flying in the day of for a European cruise coming from the states (Chicago). My rule of thumb for cruising was always to arrive a day early just in case, but might change that just because it seems a little bit of a hassle to get from Venice to Ravenna separately....thoughts?? TIA!

We definitely don't recommend flying in the day of your cruise.  One bad weather delay or flight cancellation can cause havoc, up to and including missing the ship.  Fly in a day early, getting to Ravenna from Venice isn't complicated, just takes a little planning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tiap said:

I am having the same issue. I don’t want to stay at the airport. I want to go from airport to Venice since we get there 2 days prior to sailing. 

There is a regular bus service from the airport to Venice, you catch it right outside the airport. They put your luggage in the hold so it's very easy. It takes about 20 minutes from memory.

16 hours ago, tiap said:

RCL told me it could take 3 hours from airport to dock but clearly they have no idea. 

I think RCL are probably right stating 3hrs for their shuttle from the airport to the dock at Ravenna. That wouldn't be for me but we got talking to a some fellow passengers on our cruise and it all worked well apparently but because the traffic was heavy some shuttle buses weren't able to stop for a comfort break.

2 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

Another option, if you’re not especially interested in Venice, is to fly into Bologna. You could fly into another European city and from there to Bologna. A transfer from Bologna airport to Ravenna takes approx 1 hour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

We flew in the day before, stayed at the airport hotel, then took the RCL shuttle from the airport to Ravenna the next morning. I would never do a same day of cruise international flight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What are the options for getting from the Revenna port to Venice, (not the airport, as we are spending a few days there before returning home).  The only train schedule I see is 8:45 departure from Revenna and we are unfamiliar with the area.  Does RCCL have a bus to Venice?