Transatlantic - which direction ?

Mr Luxury

IMHO- West would be my choice, as a Brit.

25 hour days

iconic arrival views.

Still having time in New York to look forward to, post cruise (walk off a few of the calories). Always find new things to do there, time after time.

Practicality wise, allows us to fly back to a local airport - instead of arriving back to Southampton still facing a 5 hour train journey (as car would be at home). All of that is faffing dealt with on the way out. Granted this is not so much of a Problem for those located in the south of England.

I would still never turn my nose up at an eastbound crossing though…😊

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Southcityblue said:

IMHO- West would be my choice, as a Brit.

25 hour days

iconic arrival views.

Still having time in New York to look forward to, post cruise (walk off a few of the calories). Always find new things to do there, time after time.

Practicality wise, allows us to fly back to a local airport - instead of arriving back to Southampton still facing a 5 hour train journey (as car would be at home). All of that is faffing dealt with on the way out. Granted this is not so much of a Problem for those located in the south of England.

I would still never turn my nose up at an eastbound crossing though…😊

According to your past trips, it looks like you’re due to make another Crossing soon! It’s been awhile…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NE John said:

According to your past trips, it looks like you’re due to make another Crossing soon! It’s been awhile…

Funnily enough….just 80 days to go.

We are WB 15th Dec…. Safely say we cannot wait (had to bring my signature up to date)

There is just something extra special about the TA crossing - keeps us coming back… and as you say it has been a while.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Southcityblue said:

Funnily enough….just 80 days to go.

We are WB 15th Dec…. Safely say we cannot wait (had to bring my signature up to date)

There is just something extra special about the TA crossing - keeps us coming back… and as you say it has been a while.

You’ll also be boarding right after the retrofit so we’ll expect reports afterwards. 

• Like 3

One consideration is the ease of disembarking.  I have not once disembarked in New York without at least one major inconvenience.  Some people are lucky and get through with ease, but not us.  I have disembarked in Southampton about four or five times more than New York and not once have we had an issue there.  Unless there has been a change since the pandemic, UK immigration inspection is held on the ship during the crossing so you simply get off in Southampton. 

If in transit through New York it is less of a palaver.  We are doing that again in  a year: Southampton-NY-Québec. The only concern is the mob-scene at border control, but the last time we did this itinerary (in reverse)  the screening person sent us to a sort of express desk and we didn't have to queue for an hour.  Of course we had to go through security. After a wait of less than two hours we were allowed to re-board.  This is as good an experience as we have ever had at a New York pier.

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 2

I've done both ways as a Canadian, and enjoy the onboard Westbound experience slightly more, although as david says above, this is mitigated by the absolute shambles that is Brooklyn customs & immigration. I have NEVER seen more irritable, angry, and just plain nasty staff as I have in Brooklyn at disembarkation. Yelling at passengers who are just trying to figure out where to go seems to be an everyday occurence. They have never had enough staff - they are always surprised and frustrated every time the QM2 arrives and they have to deal with her ~2700 passengers. 

Boarding in Brooklyn is also somewhat of a nightmare - lineups for days, in a cavernous warehouse-type space. 

But since you have to deal with Brooklyn at one end or the other (even if you're going on to Quebec City afterwards, you still have to disembark and go through US border control), I'd opt for the Westbound. 

• Like 3

Two things to add:  Eastbound I tend to wake up later with each time change, missed breakfast day four, eastbound can tend to be calmer because the ship has following seas from the Gulf Stream, generally, westbound can be rougher,

but I’m fine with that.  Of course it just depends on the weather

• Like 3

We have crossed in both directions many times and on several lines.  Recently on the QE from Lauderdale to BCN.  Personally, I love the extra hours when we travel west.  We are night owls and like the extra time on board at night.  Yes, the Brooklyn terminal is problematic.  I have found it most difficult on arrival and find the only solution for avoiding huge lines is to hire a porter to carry our luggage.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:03 AM, Mr Luxury said:

Which transatlantic do UK cruisers prefer.

West bound or East bound.

I'm UK based and going to book as I need to be in NY next August and it doesn't make a lot of difference to me which way around I do it.

Many thanks 

West bound gives the longer days. I did both recently. I actually enjoyed the east bound more. I think it was because I was anticipating my UK holiday and west bound i was going home after my holiday 😃

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Since we're talking about the "shambles" disembarking at Brooklyn ... is there any provision for the use of Global Entry there?

(Prompted by the announcement that US Customs and Border Patrol is releasing a new Global Entry app.)

I asked while there - - No

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:11 AM, exlondoner said:

West for those wonderful 25 hour days. And get a cabin on the port side so you get the sun.

As I am neither a mad dog nor an Englishman  we have chosen a starboard balcony cabin on our w/b crossing next year to avoid the sun.  (Sorry, having just listened to a birthday gift recording of Noel Coward singing his own songs I couldn't resist.)

• Like 1